• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Homeopathy?

C

Casper

Hi.

My mum really wants me to trade in conventional medication for a homeopathic approach. I've had a hard time with things like anti depressents and had really bad side affects from them and the same with diazepam I was given. Has anyone had any experience of this they could share with me. I'm a little sceptical but I'm pretty open minded and was brought up on homeopathic medicine, I'm just not sure if it'd be as affective for these sorts of problems as it is for other things.

schiz01

schiz01

I have been to see a homeopathic .....I think he seen me as too complicated to even want to see me again.I must admit though i was highly skeptical at the time about the whole thing.My Mum on the other hand finds him of benefit to her and still sees him today.
Suppose we need to try and keep an open mind to these things and what works for some might not work for others.

Have you heard of Orthomolecular medicine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthomolecular

After reading an article on Abram Hoffer i searched for a doctor that had studied it and was lucky enough to find one that lived near by me.I found it very useful ...Not only was the doctor qualified GP he had an OPEN MIND and was willing to work with me in regards to not wanting to take anti psychotics

Here is a link about the man himself

http://www.orthomolecular.org/history/hoffer/index.shtml

oneday

oneday

Homeopathy

:) Hi Casper

I’ve tried homeopathy, though some time ago now. It was after the earlier period in my life when I used to experience deep depressions periodically, but I did used to get really stressed and anxious still (as I still do, but less so). One of the things that used to happen to me physically at that time is that, about every two weeks, I used to get a mouthful of mouth ulcers, which were part of a general feeling of debilitation – fatigue, feeling low, feeling mentally and physically out of sorts. In fact I’m not sure I know what came first each time, getting run down or getting mouth ulcers. It was horrible anyway, and as you’ll know if you’ve ever had mouth ulcers, they can be really painful and take all the fun out of things, especially eating, and they’d last for a week or more. And this went on for, had gone on for – I forget quite how long – but at least a couple of years.

I tried stuff from my doctor to put on the ulcers, and over-the-counter gels and pastilles. These didn’t help beyond some brief relief. I changed my diet, took supplements, and took some herbal remedies that were meant to help with fatigue/debilitation. I curt out various foods in the hope of identifying something I was allergic to. I even went to an acupuncturist but the mouth ulcers kept coming back.

At some point I decided to take myself along to a homeopath. I had a course of treatment, was given some homeopathic pills to take.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, following the course of homeopathic treatment, I stopped getting the mouth ulcers – well, apart from on odd occasions, less than once or twice a year since – I stopped getting them regularly from then on.

So I’m pretty positive about homeopathy (at least for mouth ulcers and feeling run down). And I know that homeopaths also offer treatment for people experiencing depression, stress, anxiety and so on.

But you know what, as far as I can understand it, there’s no active element in homeopathic remedies. The scientist, the rationalist in me says that homeopathic pills are, despite the fancy names (mine were phosphorus something), really nothing but sugar pills.

Some people take this to mean that homeopathy is useless. But I don’t.

oneday

oneday

Continued - the placebo effect

Taking another tack: psychologist and academic Professor Irving Kirsch has just published a book called ‘The Emperor’s New Drugs – Exploding the Antidepressant Myth’. As a review I came across in the latest issue of ‘Mental Health Today’ magazine says:

“Back in 1989, Fisher and Greenberg (in The Limits of Biological Treatments for Psychological Distress) reviewed the available evidence and made a startling discovery – that antidepressants are clinically ineffective when you take into account the placebo effect. 20 years later, Irving Kirsch has used metanalyses [analysis of the numerous antidepressant drug trials carried out by the pharmaceutical industry] to come to the same conclusion.” And Prof. Kirsch describes the fact that antidepressants perform no better than placebo as an ‘open secret’ in scientific circles.

The placebo effect is a powerful thing.

The presumption that someone is going to help you, and that a particular pill, injection or procedure is going to do you good, has a significant effect on whether you start to feel any better, whatever the ‘raw’ effects of any drug or procedure might be. So the doctor, homeopath etc, with an authoritative air, gives you something (whether powerful drug or inert sugar pill) and says “Here, take this. It will make you feel better.” And if you have faith in, belief in, what the practitioner says, and in the kind of treatment you’re given, you are likely to start to feel better. This applies to many physical and, perhaps especially, psychological problems. The placebo effect is said to create up to a 32% improvement in symptoms for many physical and psychological problems. This is why the pharmaceutical companies have the hassle of having to test their new products against a placebo in the first place.

So it strikes me that if you’re going to take a placebo it’s better to take one – like homeopathy - that doesn’t have any adverse effects, rather than one that can do, like antidepressants.

Tranquillisers like diazepam are different - they can certainly tranquillise - relax mind and body. But they’re recommended for use for only a matter of weeks, as, used long term, they start to create the very problems, like anxiety and agitation, that they were originally prescribed for; and they are also highly addictive, creating major problems on withdrawal if taken long term.

A note of warning - if you’re going to be stopping antidepressants or minor tranx like diazepam, be careful – plan it and do it gradually. I’ve posted info elsewhere about resources that should be helpful with regards to withdrawal from psychiatric drugs – e.g. on 19/3/10 in the thread started by Madchick in the ‘Depression’ forum, that's called ‘Withdrawal symptoms’ - let me know if you can't find it and I'll post it again here.

I also started a thread on 9/2/10 in the ‘Your two pence worth’ section (it's on page 3 of at the moment), it's called ‘Depressing news about antidepressants?’ People discussed this whole thing about whether antidepressants are effective or not, and the placebo effect. I said there:

“If antidepressants are mainly working by placebo effect and [as some else had said, they have nasty side effects] I reckon that would be a reason for psychiatry to start giving people nice harmless placebo pills (if it's going to remain attached to giving people pills). And they could always retrain as homeopaths”

oneday

oneday

Marathons? Is this off thread? Thanks for bumping this though - never knew I'd written all that.

Nekofreak

Nekofreak

I am not a fan of homeopathy.
While I have no problem with complementary medicine in general, homeopathy is a load of poo.