• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Homebound agoraphobia

H

Hiraeth

Is anyone else here struggling with being homebound? It doesn't have to be for the same reason but I feel really alone right now.

S

spurs7691

Hi Hiraeth. I too have severe difficulty getting out of my apartment. I have only been out for essential hospital and doctors appointments over the last five years and yes indeed it does make me feel alone and isolated. Hardly helping my depression and anxiety either. Do you have a circle of friends/family whom you are close to and can confide in ? A support network around you can help with your situation. Talking with people who can empathise with your issues could benefit you. For the majority of recent years I had nobody to communicate with but that has improved recently. Talking is a great healer.

Keesha

Keesha

Not now but I once was for years. It took going on Effexor to help change my mindset.

AdamP72

AdamP72

Memphis TN, center of the musical universe
I certainly through periods like this. In fact, I’m in one right now. I simply don’t have the energy, gumption or a reason to just get out. I will if there’s something that I must do, but other than that, to Hell with it. The isolation isn’t healthy, and it can ultimately add fuel to the fire in my experience. On the other hand, when I’m in a place like I am right now, it feels much better than being out there in the choas of the world while dragging the mental abyss with me wherever I go.

H

Hiraeth

Hi Hiraeth. I too have severe difficulty getting out of my apartment. I have only been out for essential hospital and doctors appointments over the last five years and yes indeed it does make me feel alone and isolated. Hardly helping my depression and anxiety either. Do you have a circle of friends/family whom you are close to and can confide in ? A support network around you can help with your situation. Talking with people who can empathise with your issues could benefit you. For the majority of recent years I had nobody to communicate with but that has improved recently. Talking is a great healer.
I don't have any close friends. I do have a boyfriend but I don't want to lay my problems on him. I have distant friends that I barely see. I have an online friend but that is it. I live with my parents and it is a bit of a toxic household. I do have my brother but we don't really talk about deep stuff like that. I definitely need a social circle. That is part of my problem but where does a homebound person go about that if you can't leave your home? I'm really happy that has improved for you :) You deserve to have people in your life.

H

Hiraeth

Not now but I once was for years. It took going on Effexor to help change my mindset.
How many years where you stuck? I was on Effexor before my current meds ( Celexa and Propanolol) and it didn't help me much. It's amazing that you have found something that works!

H

Hiraeth

I certainly through periods like this. In fact, I’m in one right now. I simply don’t have the energy, gumption or a reason to just get out. I will if there’s something that I must do, but other than that, to Hell with it. The isolation isn’t healthy, and it can ultimately add fuel to the fire in my experience. On the other hand, when I’m in a place like I am right now, it feels much better than being out there in the choas of the world while dragging the mental abyss with me wherever I go.
I completely understand what you are going through. Especially the lack of energy. It takes a lot out of you to push yourself. It is WAY more hectic to make myself leave than to deal with extreme anxiety and stressing people out around me. Avoiding have been kind of my solution and it has created less problems for me. However, it is no way to live.

H

Hiraeth

Hear, hear. It really isn’t. But sometimes, what’s the alternative? No better, it seems to me.
Yeah, I don't even know. That is why we do what we do. It is 'safer' the world is a scary place.

AdamP72

AdamP72

Memphis TN, center of the musical universe
It is 'safer' the world is a scary place.
A lot of times it definitely feels safer; I agree. Not always, but for me the world can be a terrifying place. It’s very tough to live in this world as someone who has a mental illness. The rest of the world, including our family & “friends”, expect us to act & live just as they do.

“The worst part of having a mental illness is people expecting you to act like you don’t.”

- Arthur Fleck (Joker)

Keesha

Keesha

How many years where you stuck? I was on Effexor before my current meds ( Celexa and Propanolol) and it didn't help me much. It's amazing that you have found something that works!
It was a struggle for about 8 years but it came after 8 months of unbelievable trauma. Something I don’t wish to explain. I purposely gained weight and cut all my hair off hoping to feel & look like someone else. My first GP put me on antidepressants that made my condition worse so got a new doctor who put me on Effexor. The dose was gradually increased and it somehow helped me with my vicious cycle of self hate and loathing I had tortured myself with. Before long, I was socializing and stayed on it for about 2 years.

That was ten years ago.

H

Hiraeth

A lot of times it definitely feels safer; I agree. Not always, but for me the world can be a terrifying place. It’s very tough to live in this world as someone who has a mental illness. The rest of the world, including our family & “friends”, expect us to act & live just as they do.

“The worst part of having a mental illness is people expecting you to act like you don’t.”

- Arthur Fleck (Joker)
I think that is the most frustrating part of all of this. You have to wear a mask if you want any level of acceptance towards people who are incapable of understanding. I don't blame them but it doesn't make it easier for those of us who suffer.

H

Hiraeth

It was a struggle for about 8 years but it came after 8 months of unbelievable trauma. Something I don’t wish to explain. I purposely gained weight and cut all my hair off hoping to feel & look like someone else. My first GP put me on antidepressants that made my condition worse so got a new doctor who put me on Effexor. The dose was gradually increased and it somehow helped me with my vicious cycle of self hate and loathing I had tortured myself with. Before long, I was socializing and stayed on it for about 2 years.

That was ten years ago.
I completely understand and I relate very much. I have CPTSD. How are you doing these days?

Keesha

Keesha

I completely understand and I relate very much. I have CPTSD. How are you doing these days?
I’m ok. I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to work on my issues while in the comfort of my own home by myself. Without needing to interact with many others I didn’t need to deal with much human conflict so I was good. 🙂

Once my parents began becoming senile and incapacitated, the skeletons came leaping out of the closet and pieces of the puzzle that were once missing were right there in my face ready to deal with yet their needs ‘had’ to be dealt with first. They were at risk.

What the biggest surprise was while caring for them was that our mental disorders clashed and things that I thought I’d dealt with and put up rest came rushing to the surface to be dealt with.

I could easily go back to being a complete introvert by avoiding social interactions and having life easy but I’m getting older and want to deal with some of my issues especially knowing that they can become worse as we get older.

In a nutshell I’m ok as long as I don’t have to deal with a large number of people. I don’t thing my ptsd will ever go away. I’ve just learned to deal with it the best possible way I can which will have to do.

That was a bit elaborate an answer i know. 😝🤪lol

Keesha

Keesha

I don't have any close friends. I do have a boyfriend but I don't want to lay my problems on him. I have distant friends that I barely see. I have an online friend but that is it. I live with my parents and it is a bit of a toxic household. I do have my brother but we don't really talk about deep stuff like that. I definitely need a social circle. That is part of my problem but where does a homebound person go about that if you can't leave your home? I'm really happy that has improved for you :) You deserve to have people in your life.
The only difference between your life and mine is that I no longer live with my toxic parents. You have a boyfriend and distant friends that you barely see.

Except for people who have kids or employment that makes them social, I would say you are in a high percent of the population so I wouldn’t fret about it to much. When you get lonely, you have us to talk to who understand what you are going through.

A thing to keep in mind is ‘how social do you want to be?”

The grass is always seems greener on the other side but is it really. Do you really want a full social life?

I’m an introvert and have been my entire life which I’m ok with. I adapt to situations when need be but otherwise , enjoy belong left alone.

Do you have any hobbies you can focus on and share with us?

What do you like to do in your spare time?

What do you miss most while being home bound?