• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Home-sickness

S

SJLPHII

Well, I'll share some stories of my life.

When I was 11, I moved from Korea to Canada. I grew up with an abusive older brother who once threatened to cut my tongue off, and my mother literally gave him a pair of scissors because he spat on her face and punched her in the face.

When I was 16, I left home, and joined the army reserve, and when I turned 17, I started University and stayed in the reserve. I left school when I was 19 to join the regular force army, and saw some really nasty things on this planet.

Over time, I forgave my parents and my brother, and they have all become strangers to me. I got injured and started investing into another career and returned to school. I am 26 now, and I am quite well invested into the new career.

I've had 6 previous girlfriends, all of whom had anxiety, depression, add/adhd, learning disability + other things, one committed suicide, one died from drug overdose, others want nothing to do with me to this day, even when I reached out to them. Literally 100% of the girls I date apparently suffers from the mental illnesses, in Canada.

My dog, who has been the source of nothing but smiles since I was 10 died last year. He represented home, on my worst days he made me smile. I used to visit my parents really just to see him. Last night, I was looking at his photographs and couldn't help but cry.

I am far from home, I am at the end of my 2 months long work trip in the new career. I loved the experience, and made some of the greatest people in my life, and had some of the most amazing experiences that I'll never forget. I dated some people who were actually very healthy, but I am exhausted. I need to rest.

I never felt belong in Canada. With the superficial "progressiveness" I was met with superficial gestures, but never an invitation with open arms. I've never faced so much racism than anywhere I have in the world. Much more xenophobic than France, Germany, Switzerland, Australia, or U.K.

Thinking about "home", Ottawa, I realize I am going back to the town with painful memories, with failing economy, in an apartment building with most residents mentally ill, strangers with smiles with self entitlement, and self-absorptive minds.

Whereas, the places I visited, I made some really good connections, and I have never felt so close to home that I never had.

I am tired, and I am sick of where I currently call home. I intend to do my doctorate degree in Europe, and make it my home.

I feel like sharing this, because I feel as though I am homeless.

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

Hi there. I hope you will feel at home finally when you move to Europe. That sounds like a good plan. One of my sons and his wife live in France. They love it there.

S

SJLPHII

Funny, I did make it to Europe. Unfortunately back at this forum because of a divorce.

Ladyfair

Ladyfair

welcome back!

S

SJLPHII

Thanks, I built my home where I felt really belong with my wife, for our future. Unfortunately It didn't work out. At least I know now that I can create a new home for myself in this beautiful world, maybe someday with her again or maybe by myself or maybe with someone new.