home-making/housekeeping/Flylady support thread

tiltawhirl

tiltawhirl

Bristol, TN/VA, USA (near mountains and 6 hours fr
I am tired today...for all kinds of good reasons, but tired nevertheless.

I am starting at step 1 : shine your sink...altho I am doing things a little out of order. I just started the dishwasher...I ran it before we left but the water heater was out of whack so the dishes did not come clean. Hope it is warm enough now to wash the dishes or I shall have to wash them a 3d time by hand.:sorry:

Then I will clean and shine the sink once the dishes are dealt with.

Will move our luggage (laundered the clothes at daughters, YAY!) and misc I brought home out of the living room where we drug them in totally pooped out yesterday.

Since I cleaned the bathroom before we left, I can swish and swipe it today.

And hopefully drag up the energy to put on clean bedding and launder the bedding I take off. But will take a nap first!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTUvl7I4PR0#t=62

tiltawhirl

tiltawhirl

Gather up library books and other borrowed items
Dear Friends,

It is Sunday night and time to gather up those books and other things that need to be returned this week. You know the items we have borrowed from the library and from friends! They put guilt on our heads and take money from our pockets.

Put them in a bag right now and place them in your launch pad to take back tomorrow.

FlyLady

Gajolene

Gajolene

Great thread idea, so many of us in depression, caught up in anxiety and mental health problems. really have a tough time keeping up with housework and regular house keeping routines and schedules. I find housekeeping really overwhelming when I'm in a low place, tend to isolate to my room or catch myself giving up thinking I'll never get caught up. Then the dishes pile sky high and I have mountains to catch up on. Being a primary caregiver to my sons and with 9 cats. I have a hard time keeping up. Cleaning on a poverty budget is also a chore in itself, cleaners are expensive so I green it up as much as I can making home made cleaning solutions and using paper shredder paper in the cat boxes I get on recycle nights, free, light and easy to carry to the curb.

I try to keep cleaning simple and think of it in terms of one small job at a time, rather than the whole house/yard as a huge insurmountable job. One small job and do that job thoroughly well. Organizing and planning ahead is difficult so threads like this really help.

Thanks for posting:D

tiltawhirl

tiltawhirl

I do like setting Sundays aside as a special day, so I haven't done much. I have been watching motivational videos on you tube.

Still in my night gown..in fact, I bought lace up shoes to visit daughter and then forgot them there. She will mail them.

I did a quick swish and swipe in the bathroom. Then made the bed (will change sheets tomorrow). As I did so, I wondered why I never do this. It isn't hard and is quickly done and makes such a difference in appearance and how going to bed feels.
David took the luggage with clean clothes to put away out of the middle of the living room and into the bedroom. I still have to clear off odds and ends (my hot spot) off the couch.
I hand washed a small load of dishes and then cleaned and shined that sink. The other is soaking with bleach now, so that will get finished tonight.
shiny sink~day 1

Also got a nap in.

I am going to continue to watch and read motivating material...and it is still early, so may get a bit more work in.

C

cookysasadmonster

That flylady program/project is awsome. I could use something like this nowadays. But im afraid i would only follow through for a few days. Im real lazy and sometimes dont even shower or brush my teeth in a few days to more than a week. I need to start caring about myself more :/

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Can I ask what you mean by Flylady? I don't think it's something i've heard of. x

tiltawhirl

tiltawhirl

awwwww (((Cooky)))) I struggle with those things too. My teeth are ruined because of it, (and med side effect) long and frequent depressions where I did not function at anything. just hanging out on computer and sleeping a lot.
But I know I feel better when the house is neater rather than wrecked from one end to the other.
In order to stay in compliance with the Flylady program, all I need to do is keep the sinks shiny for 28 days.
I have had good luck with the program in the past, but when we moved here we never really got things organized and put away at all.
Looking at an overwhelming mess each day is depressing, as if I am not depressed enough.

David put away the clean dishes, so I have a shiny sink and clean countertop now.

I took the sheets off the bed and put them in the washer. put clean sheets on but am going to launder the comforter too before I make the bed.
I plan on going to bed earlier tonight (an oft broken intention) and enjoying the feel and smell of a clean bed...sleeping well.

Just put sheets in dryer & comforter in washer.

Not dressed and groomed, that is a tough one for me. And I know I will put on sweatpants which is a no-no. Do not feel like curling my hair at all.

15 minutes of de-cluttering. I am going to do the easiest thing and pull out a bagful of outgrown & out-dated clothes from my closet to go to Goodwill.
I do LOVE getting rid of a whole bagful of stuff at a time...never to be messed with again.

Before I can swish & swipe, I have to clear off the counter where David unloaded his shaving kit. (n)

I haven't checked Flylady today, so will go do that and post info for today.

((((hugs))))))
T

tiltawhirl

tiltawhirl

ok, dammit...I will go get dressed & etc.

"Beginner BabySteps: Day 2
BabyStep: Day 2

Today I want you get up and get dressed to lace-up shoes right when your feet hit the floor in the morning. This means fix your hair and face, too.
In order for us to change ourselves, we need to remind ourselves of what we are doing. I did this with yellow sticky notes throughout my home to guide me through my day. This was the beginning of my FlyLady Control Journal. I had little notes on my bathroom mirror to remind me to get dressed to shoes.
Shine your sink before you go to bed. Then send me an email to [email protected] with MY SINK IS SHINING in the subject line.

FlyLady Tip of the Day:
To make it easier to get dressed each day; pick out your clothes the night before.Your Before Bed Routine is the most important routine of the day. ~FlyLady"

ok, the one I am most resistant to. I did put on sweatpants but not a t-shirt, chose a nicer one. Washed face, brushed teeth (had to return after leaving bathroom to do that, such a hangup there, geez!) hairsprayed hair and hand shaped it. Do not want to put on shoes. I sit on the corner of the couch with my feet folded under me. :(

Last edited:
tiltawhirl

tiltawhirl

"December Habit: Pampering

Zone 1: Mission #1 Monday
Dear Friends:

We are heading into the Entrance area of your home today. Let's grab all those shoes, books and jackets that seem to pile up right by the front door and put them away. Grab these things and set your timer. I bet you can do this in less than 15 minutes."

tiltawhirl

tiltawhirl

Daily Focus Monday
Weekly Home Blessing Hour
On Mondays, The Weekly Home Blessing hour is the time FlyLady spends blessing her home. No detailed cleaning required; vacuum the middle of the floors only! The time on this can depend on the size of your home, could take less than an hour or more than an hour but on average about an hour. Set your timers and have fun – you are blessing your home and family!

FlyLady sets her timer for 10 minutes to work on each of 7 ways to bless your home:

Vacuum
Dust
Quick Mop
Polish Mirrors and Doors
Purge magazines/catalogs
Change Sheets
Empty all trash cans
You can have Flylady coach you through the Weekly Home Blessing hour by listening to her on BlogTalkRadio. The link for the show is Weekly Home Blessing hour.

This takes approximately one hour; some tasks take less than 10 minutes.

“Don’t obsess, set your timer for 10 minutes for each task, then QUIT!” ~ FlyLady

Weekly Home Blessing Hour! 04/08 by FlyLady Tools | Family Podcasts

tiltawhirl

tiltawhirl

Well, gosh. I am out of shape and clearly need to work on my attitude. I get it that we think of it as blessings but it does not feel that way yet and I had some help and a head start too.

I know that today is bed changing day so I had done that right off this morning. Even got the comforter washed & now dried and bed is made up super fresh. I did not mind doing this.

Dusting was always my favorite thing but I am hating it right now. We had a roach infestation that we have almost completely got rid of and have more pesticides on it...have seen none last night or today...but they leave a nasty mess so my furniture in the living room needs to be thoroughly washed before I can use furniture polish spray.
I believe I will put it off until tomorrow and go longer than 10 minutes as part of the detailed cleaning.

I had already picked up around the door last week but then duh! realized there are coats and shoes out of place but that will only take about 5 minutes.

For daily 15 minutes of de-cluttering, I will head to my closet and get rid of outgrown clothes to give away.

Then I will go snoop around the Flylady site to peek at what is coming up and to get the list for detailed cleaning for the current zone work....which is not to be attempted if you still need to de-clutter in this area.

Purging magazines, catalogues, newspapers was a non-issue too. I am not into magazines. I get 1 because it was free with an appliance purchase. I will page thro a catalogue and then throw it away. We do not get newspapers. Mail & store receipts does get piled up a little. So this amounted to very little for me.

David keeps the trash emptied...so another one I did not have to do.

I asked him to vacuum the kitchen & bath tile because the vacuum hurts my back. Another thing I did not do.

With clear plastic over the insides of windows..there wasn't much mirrors or glass to shine. I did miss a couple things and go back and did them...the fan light and a tabletop. I need vinegar before I will wash any windows on the outdoors sides and I think it is too cold anyway. I will wait for the detail cleanings to do those.

I swiftered the kitchen and bath, was very surprised how dirty the kitchen was...the cats' doings. But that is still a breeze to do and I don't mind that either.

I will update in a little while. Writing down what I have done is very reinforcing for me.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
did not time myself, I don't think it took 15 minutes to fill a kitchen bag with clothes for Goodwill.

I still have 2 very visible clutter piles in the house and many bins to go thro that I hid in storage due to my daughter coming but I just wanted to do this with the clothes and gather things to GET RID OF.

off to go snoop around now.

Last edited:
tiltawhirl

tiltawhirl

Didn't get anymore done today. David heated up leftovers and I ate a sandwich, so not much happening in the kitchen. Have a light load in the dishwasher.

Sink is shiny~day 2.

Here is day 3 babystep. I set a fresh towel out tonight after I had dried the sinks.

Beginner BabySteps: Day 3

Today you are doing what we have already done:
Getting up and dressing to lace-up shoes
Keeping your sink shining
Now is the time to start exploring The FlyLady’s website.
Be sure to read the Launch Pad section.
This is where you will find the Daily Flight Plan
Shine your sink before you go to bed. After you get your sink shining then send me an email to [email protected] with MY SINK IS SHINING.

FlyLady Tip: Each evening as you shine your sink put out a clean dishtowel. This gets you ready for tomorrow.

Mission for tomorrow:
Zone 1: Mission #2 Tuesday

"Dear Friends:
Today is a "choose your own mission day". Set your timer for 15 minutes and do something that needs to be done in the area of Zone 1. If you need to vacuum, dust or do a 27 fling, go for it! Take the time to just get something done. Remember, we do today what we can do and then a little more tomorrow. We are taking Babysteps together!"

Zone 1 is entrance, front porch dining room.

I took my night meds an hour earlier so I can try to go to bed earlier...I tend to stay up late. I've a freshly laundered and made bed waiting for me tonight:mrgreen:

See you in the morning

tiltawhirl

tiltawhirl

Good Morning!!!

I got dressed (tho not washed up) and made the bed as soon as my feet hit the floor. awesomeness!

This is a frontal attack on something that decimates my self-esteem and feeds my depression.
I feel better. definitely.

I would have swished and swiped the bathroom too but the cleanser wasn't in there.

So now I am doing my regular "first thing"....having my coffee and checking online.

A lot of people do not like Flylady's delivery style but my attitude is don't shoot the messenger, the message is solid, it works.

"Fly Spot
Dear Friends,

This week we are in Zone 1- The Entrance, Dining Room, and Front Porch. Our FLY Spot this week is in our Dining Room. Walk into your Dining Room. What is the first thing you see? What catches your eye first? Is it beautiful flowers on the table? Or a pile of newspapers stacked in a chair? Maybe a picture hanging on the wall that’s been there for 30 years? If what you saw first made you happy and brought a smile to your face, then your FLY Spot is easy! Take a minute to step back and enjoy your Dining Room and your smile. You’re done! If what you saw was clutter or something that didn’t make your heart smile, then take 5 minutes and make a difference. Declutter the “stuff” that is there, cut some flowers from the garden and add them to the table, or even remove that ugly picture from your wall. Whatever you do, make sure it is something to make you smile!"

I retrieved a painting of mine from my daughter. It is that part of the Sistine Chapel where God's hand is stretched out to touch Adam's. In a nice gold frame. I want to put that up near the dining area.
I could not believe her husband blocked me with his body to keep me from taking it downstairs to bring home, saying I would have to talk to daughter. I have told her many times I wanted it back and it was a Christmas present to me. She has no claim to it. Forced to show her I was taking it...she said simply "it's yours". There were issues about other items, tho no argument as in the past. Most things I did not bring up, not wanting to raid her house when she had been so kind as to come get us and paid for everything.
---------------------------------------------
was getting too settled in on my corner of the couch. So, washed up and swish & swiped the bathroom.

AliceinWonderland

AliceinWonderland

Admin
Cleared off the bottom bunk bed of all the stuff that's accumulated there for months. The room is starting to look better. Didn't get stuck, or distracted with other stuff that needs doing, so I was pleased with that.

tiltawhirl

tiltawhirl

WOW Alice!

That is a big deal & a lot to do in one day. I hope you feel proud & pleased. And I am glad you shared. Thank you.

I went to the flylady 24/7 chat where they play games. I had stacks of folded clothes on our bedroom floor. Got those put away. Also had clothes hanging on a rod over the dryer and put those away. And yet another stack on a chair in the kitchen. I got that about half done. Windexed the exterior of the microwave. Made a short shopping list and David went to the store.
He also hung that painting I just got back in the dining area...so he did part of a mission for today without even knowing about it.
I like the games group but it can get me overstimulated thus stressed, so I then ate a yogurt for lunch and laid down for a nap.
Usually me and naps get along well but not today I was very restless.
I forgot to give David the bag for Goodwill, dammit....but he put it in the car for next time as he passes it going to the grocery and dollar store.

I do feel like I got sidetracked by playing these games and not putting first emphasis on today's missions.
I am trying to wake up and have a pot of coffee made.
It's too late in the day to wash my table and chairs...too dark in here.
And I have a 15 minute de-clutter to do. I wouldn't have chose the clothes because I have a pile of misc anything and everything but technically I guess it counts.

One of the themes is "You are not behind just jump in where you are" and I need to learn to take that to heart. and not discount what I did accomplish.

Technically I am only on day 3, so from that point of view, I am ahead.

I guess the REALLY important thing is that I am getting out of my bog of lethargy and I feel better with self-esteem.

I am going to go review what was on the schedule for today and probably play more games on chat.

Really glad you are here, Alice!

ScaredCat

ScaredCat

Maybe i need to try post in this thread. I find it so difficult to look after my house. Well tbh i dont really. Need to try see point to cleaning. Need to try see it as form of self-care. Cos i know my house depresses me - but motivating myself is so hard. Cant see point cos if i clean it will only get dirty again. It is a never ending cycle.

Last edited: