• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Hollow mask illusion fails to fool schizophrenia patients

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Some research by my college that thoroughly amused me when I read it. It surely can't be oversight by the department that they used a mask illusion with the association of 'persona' (literally mask in Greek) in psychology. Positivity Bias anyone???

"Patients with schizophrenia are able to correctly see through an illusion known as the ‘hollow mask’ illusion, probably because their brain disconnects ‘what the eyes see’ from what ‘the brain thinks it is seeing’, according to a joint UK and German study published in the journal NeuroImage. The findings shed light on why cannabis users may also be less deceived by the illusion whilst on the drug.

People with schizophrenia, a mental illness affecting about one per cent of the population, are known to be immune to certain vision illusions. The latest study confirms that patients with schizophrenia are not fooled by the ‘hollow mask’ illusion, and that this may relate to a difference in the way two parts of their brains communicate with each other – the ‘bottom-up’ process of collecting incoming visual information from the eyes, and the ‘top-down’ process of interpreting this information.

Illusions occur when the brain interprets incoming sensory information on the basis of its context and a person’s previous experience, so called top-down processing. Sometimes this process can mean that people’s perception of an object is quite different to reality – a phenomenon often exploited by magicians. The new study, by scientists at the Hannover Medical School in Germany and UCL Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience in the UK, suggests that patients with schizophrenia rely considerably less on top-down processing during perception.

The study used a variation on the three-dimensional ‘hollow mask’ illusion. In this illusion, a hollow mask of a face (pointing inwards, or concave) appears as a normal face (pointing outwards, or convex). During the experiment, 3D normal faces and hollow faces were shown to patients with schizophrenia and control volunteers while they lay inside an fMRI brain scanner, which monitored their brain responses.

As expected, all 16 control volunteers perceived the hollow mask as a normal face – mis-categorising the illusion faces 99 percent of the time. By contrast, all 13 patients with schizophrenia could routinely distinguish between hollow and normal faces, with an average of only six percent mis-categorisation errors for illusion faces.

The results of the brain imaging analysis suggested that in the healthy volunteers, connectivity between two parts of the brain, the parietal cortex involved in top-down control, particularly spatial attention, and the lateral occipital cortex involved in bottom-up processing of visual information, increased when the hollow faces were presented. In the patients with schizophrenia, this connectivity change did not occur. These results suggest that patients with schizophrenia have difficulty coordinating responses between different brain areas, also known as ‘dysconnectivity’, and that this may contribute to their immunity to visual illusions. The research group is now investigating dysconnectivity in schizophrenia further, which will hopefully advance our understanding of this disorder.

Danai Dima, Hannover Medical School, says: “The term ‘schizophrenia’ was coined almost a century ago to mean the splitting of different mental domains, but the idea has now shifted more towards connectivity between brain areas. The prevailing theory is that perception principally comprises three components: firstly, sensory input (bottom-up); secondly, the internal production of concepts (top-down); and thirdly, a control (a ‘censor’ component), which covers interaction between the two first components. Our study provides further evidence of ‘dysconnectivity’ between these components in the brains of people with schizophrenia.”

Dr Jonathan Roiser, UCL Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience, says: “Our findings also shed light on studies of visual illusions which have used psychomimetics – drugs that mimic the symptoms of psychosis. Studies using natural or synthetic tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the ingredient of cannabis resin responsible for its psychotic-like effects, have found that people under the influence of cannabis are also less deceived by the hollow mask illusion. It may be that THC causes a temporary “disconnection” between brain areas, similar to that seen in patients with schizophrenia, though this hypothesis needs to be tested in further research.”"

Link

F

firemonkee57

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G_Qwp2GdB1M&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G_Qwp2GdB1M&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

A

Apotheosis

I don't see it as being hollow - does that mean I don't have schizophrenia? :confused:

F

firemonkee57

I don't see it as being hollow - does that mean I don't have schizophrenia? :confused:
Perhaps it's state dependent as opposed to trait dependent. Ie if you have been dxed with schizophrenia but are currently asymptomatic then you 'll be fooled by the illusion .

A

Apotheosis

Perhaps it's state dependent as opposed to trait dependent. Ie if you have been dxed with schizophrenia but are currently asymptomatic then you 'll be fooled by the illusion .
I wouldn't say that I was asymptomatic at the moment.

A

Apotheosis

What symptoms are you experiencing? Positive or negative ?
A mix of both - I have felt quite bi polar; but without the highs; instead going to moments of calm & contentment - with very bad anxiety, very powerful & hard emotional stuff, racing heart, feeling sick, very dizzy, a lot of aches & pains, & other assorted stuff; sometimes switching between the two in a matter of minutes, & back again. My vision has been very weird as well, & some odd thinking. At the moment, apart from the odd vision, I feel fine again, relaxed, calm, serene, & contented. It's most odd.

I have just posted this thread -

http://www.mentalhealthforum.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6273

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
I think that it wasn't a spinning mask. It was two pictures. It isn't that you don't 'see' the illusion, it's that you're not fooled by it. By this I mean you show the inside of a mask to a 'normal' (but one might suggest sub functioning) person they say 'it's a mask', you show it to a weed smoker or a schizo and they reply 'it's the inside of a mask'. The irony is in this situation 'normal' is a false interpretation of the world; it leaves it open to question how far the analogy could be taken?

(and I think the study used those diagnosed with schizophrenia, not necessarily psychotic at the time)

Last edited:
schiz01

schiz01

Interesting .....i think you would have to try it with real masks rather then some video

P

pansdisease

Illusions like this happen in our world quite a bit.

My brain flips or gets a switch, mostly at night, and it is opened to the illusions that they put here in the very matter of the world and the shadow and light.

Anyone can do this.