• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

HOCD - but I'm worried I'm straight

H

Haribo

I'm constantly doubting myself, including my sexual orientation. I'm 24 and have never been in a relationship. I'm 99% sure I'm gay but I'm so worried that I'm not.

From a young age I have always been more drawn to women than men. From people I knew, to actors and singers, characters in books and TV shows etc. I always liked women - not in a creepy way, I just felt more connected with them. I just thought I liked the fact that they were girls like me and they were doing cool stuff.

When I was around 13/14, I started realising that I'm just not into guys. The only reason I ever wanted a boyfriend in school is because all of my friends had one, but even then I never actually had a boyfriend because I never liked anyone in my school. My crushes were always women. Most (if not all) of my 'celebrity crushes' are/were women. I can't name any guy I've ever liked in that way.

The problem is I have never actually been in a relationship with a woman so my OCD is convincing me I'm actually straight and that I only think I'm lesbian because I have OCD.

I can see myself dating a woman, I cannot see myself dating a man. I can't even imagine having dinner with a man, never mind kissing and other stuff. I know I like women. I know I am attracted to women and I could go on for hours about why I think women are amazing - but I'm still doubting myself.

I feel like I'm going crazy. I had just fully come to terms with being lesbian when I started getting these doubts, and now I just can't get rid of them. It has been around 5 years now. Sometimes I know I'm gay, other times my mind convinces me I'm just pretending to like women.

OCD sucks. How do I get over this? Please tell me it can get better :(

Sash1

Sash1

I have OCD, for many years, and there have been times i've questioned is it me, or my OCD deciding on life's decisions/choices..

I've never questioned my sexuality, so can't say if OCD has played any part of that..

It sounds like you know who you are and what/who your attracted too..with or without OCD..

Im sorry I'm probably not helping much, but OCD does suck, it's with me for life, and to be honest, it's not the big bad monster it used to be...........I don't let it control me as much anymore, I've learn to sort of 'negotiate' with it, so 'it' and me, can live alongside each other without having to question every single move I make..

So yes, I do believe it does get better..

H

Haribo

I have OCD, for many years, and there have been times i've questioned is it me, or my OCD deciding on life's decisions/choices..

I've never questioned my sexuality, so can't say if OCD has played any part of that..

It sounds like you know who you are and what/who your attracted too..with or without OCD..

Im sorry I'm probably not helping much, but OCD does suck, it's with me for life, and to be honest, it's not the big bad monster it used to be...........I don't let it control me as much anymore, I've learn to sort of 'negotiate' with it, so 'it' and me, can live alongside each other without having to question every single move I make..

So yes, I do believe it does get better..
I've seen a lot of people who are straight with HOCD who think they must be gay, but I'm kind of the opposite. My OCD affects me in lots of ways but this is just another way of me doubting myself I guess.

I feel like I don't trust myself. Like I must be wrong about being gay.

Thank you, I hope it does start to get better

JessisMe

JessisMe

I think you get over this by getting out of your headspace and spending intimate/romantic time with a woman. xo, j

Sash1

Sash1

Yeah, that's what OCD does to us, it makes you question, barter, plead and reaffirm every decision you make, it's a nasty little thing..

It's good that your questioning this one though, that's how I started to not let it run my life so much..very positive thing you've done😊

H

Haribo

I think you get over this by getting out of your headspace and spending intimate/romantic time with a woman. xo, j
That's a fair point. While I'm obviously open to this, finding another woman into women and around my age and area at this time is difficult. Especially as I'm so socially anxious

JessisMe

JessisMe

That's a fair point. While I'm obviously open to this, finding another woman into women and around my age and area at this time is difficult. Especially as I'm so socially anxious
Check online.