• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Hoarder v clutterer

singingdollydaydream

singingdollydaydream

Founding Member
hoarding

Hi Ashami, you know after reading some of the link it seems that I too have hoarding tendencies.

I love car boot sales, it`s the thrill of finding treasure. Treasure to me is sewing stuff, fabric, ribon all kinds of arts and crafts stuff. The fact that I don`t use it often doesn`t stop me from buying it.

I am not in the same league as my MIL thank goodness and hope i never will be as I have the opposite side of OCD sitting on my other shoulder, some parts of my home must be kept very clean and organised.

Very interesting stuff.

By the way, how did you learn you`re a clutterer not a hoarder?

A

Apotheosis

I am a Clutter'er. if I had more space I would keep more, but when I have needed to clear stuff out I do, & I often clear through & organise stuff. There is a big pile of things for the car boot.

I like to have interesting "things" around me, books, projects, things I've made; an interesting living space. I don't want to sit in an empty flat with just a sofa & a TV, that's boring to me.

D

Dollit

I live in a constant flux of clearing things out. I'm quite untidy and having got round to doing decorating that's been planned for months but once something's past it's best or I don't need it any more out it goes. I take stuff to the charity shop all the time, everything gets recycled one way or another. I love books but good books and they're my only problem. Since I discovered the iPod I rarely use my CDs. In fact when my microwave died I decided I never used it much anyway and never replaced it. I don't think it would take much for me to become a minimalist which is just as bad as being a hoarder really isn't it. I'm waffling well today!

Ashami

Ashami

Founding Member
Hi Ashami, you know after reading some of the link it seems that I too have hoarding tendencies.

I love car boot sales, it`s the thrill of finding treasure. Treasure to me is sewing stuff, fabric, ribon all kinds of arts and crafts stuff. The fact that I don`t use it often doesn`t stop me from buying it.

I am not in the same league as my MIL thank goodness and hope i never will be as I have the opposite side of OCD sitting on my other shoulder, some parts of my home must be kept very clean and organised.

Very interesting stuff.

By the way, how did you learn you`re a clutterer not a hoarder?
Hey singingdolly

I took the difference between hoarding and cluttering as being that for the hoarder there is great discomfort and strees attached to 'stuff' and freedom is debilitated. Whereas a clutterer has the ability to clear-out stuff when needed and doesn't become so obsessive over 'stuff'.

On deeper reflection I'm a clutterer / borderline hoarder. Like Dollit, I'm in constant de-clutter motion, but sometimes the clutter gets on top of me (especially paperwork) and I feel very claustrophobic and feel a 'cleaning' coming on where I, like you, go the other way. Sometimes I do feel like my 'stuff' is a bit of a prison but, again like Dollit, I love books and couldn't get rid of any. And no way could I get rid of any of my music gear, or my DVD's and CDs...:eek:

It is very interesting stuff indeed :)

D

Dollit

I tend not to have ornaments but 4 cats help influence that decision as they do the fact I never have flowers (which always look better in their environment) or plants - you wouldn't believe how small a plant pot a very big cat can use as a litter tray. My office corner is beginning to sink under the clutter but they do say a tidy desk is the sign of a sick mind! I think sometimes if you have so much stuff you stop noticing it. :)

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I cant abide clutter. Im always throwing stuff out then a few weeks later finding i should really have kept it as i needed it.

Saying that i love going into charity shops and car boot sales and hoping to pick up that elusive bargain. Not had any luck so far.

singingdollydaydream

singingdollydaydream

Founding Member
See, there`s the problem with deciding to throw things out, will you need it again? :unsure:

Ashami

Ashami

Founding Member
Fifteen years ago everything I owned fitted into the back of my skoda. Now it would need...erm....two or three Luton vans?

D

Dollit

Couldn't even get all of the cats and their stuff in the back of a Skoda! :)

Ashami

Ashami

Founding Member
living light was a great experience and I hanker after it a lot, especially around teatime when the son is whining cos he's starving and I'm late cooking tea again! :eek:

D

Dollit

Yea, the days when I could get my life in a backpack and just get on a bus or train and go feels like the way I should be living sometimes.

lostintime

lostintime

Founding Member
Hi Ashami, and thanks for showing us the link to explain the difference between a Hoarder and a Clutterer.

For my sins (and by gum, I seem to have too many!) I can say without any shadow of doubt, that I am most definitely a Hoarder (even have - amongst many other items - stacks of cancelled cheques going back to the 1930s), yet strangely, I cannot stand Clutter!

On the same link Ashami supplied, under the topic of 'Facts', various figures showed that;-
  • Hoarding & Saving Symptoms are found in 18% to 42% of OCD patients. But most people who Hoard will also exhibit OCD symptoms. Less than 1% of the population Hoards (Non clinical populations are also known to Hoard.).
  • There are other mental disorders in which Hoarding Behavior is seen, such as.: Anorexia Nervosa, Dementia and sometimes Psychotic Disorders.
    The differences between these types are not know yet.

• 4 keywords that are found when talking about Hoarding are: Indecisiveness, Perfectionism, Procrastination, Avoidance.

• This is a symptom that is known to be difficult to treat, especially if there is little willingness to change.
OK, so I know that I'm OCD, and I am also most indecisive, do seek perfection, do procrastinate (often), and do avoid change (yet strangely, also welcome it!) - moreover I am not willing to change, which is the main reason why I've decided to create as my profile picture (I had wondered what to use, but Ashami's posting has proved to be the answer!) a snapshot of just part of my study!

Having just bought a load of books this morning, I'm off to have a read, and then I'll add them to my collection of 1000+ books and just some of the files you can see!

Happy New Year to all:grouphug:

S

sleeplessinuk

Haha! That's just great. Now i've realised i've got another disorder!!
I have always hoarded stuff. My bedroom is the worse type of bedroom you can ever imagine...you can't see the floor because I have boxes and bin bags full of stuff I will never throw out (or use!!) If I do need to get rid of stuff, I will never throw it in the bin but i'll either give it away or have it recycled otherwise I just keep it.
I was so incompatible with my ex because he was the total opposite(which i've always believed was a disorder)...he had to throw EVERYTHING out even kids' toys and I used to go through the bins to save stuff from being thrown away!
I never knew this was a type of OCD though. I most definitely get this from my mum - she keeps so much stuff that has sentimental value and her house is really cluttered.

dib4uk

dib4uk

Hi Ashami, and thanks for showing us the link to explain the difference between a Hoarder and a Clutterer.

On the same link Ashami supplied, under the topic of 'Facts', various figures showed that;-
  • Hoarding & Saving Symptoms are found in 18% to 42% of OCD patients. But most people who Hoard will also exhibit OCD symptoms. Less than 1% of the population Hoards (Non clinical populations are also known to Hoard.).
  • There are other mental disorders in which Hoarding Behavior is seen, such as.: Anorexia Nervosa, Dementia and sometimes Psychotic Disorders.
    The differences between these types are not know yet.

• 4 keywords that are found when talking about Hoarding are: Indecisiveness, Perfectionism, Procrastination, Avoidance.

• This is a symptom that is known to be difficult to treat, especially if there is little willingness to change.
Yeah that sounds like me, I know i'm a horder- and if it wasnt for my mother who i live with, i'd be one of those people with stuff everywhere. It is not unknown for me to keep crisp packets that are empty, recipts everywhere, letters- the important ones and the unimportant ones..

Indecisiveness, Perfectionism, Procrastination, Avoidance= yes, i have been known to do all that. I'm not that surprised that I'm a horder- I cling on to stuff just incase one day it comes in handy- but it wont. I procrastinate soo much but i demand to be perfect when doing tasks. The stuff that i cant do cant accomplish I avoid doing them.

Once in a while my mother throws stuff away- but when I come back i panic. I know I have an issue with this, and its just one more thing to try and deal with.
Let alone approaching the bins outside- all the germs there...sigh.

Yet when I go to other peoples houses i cant stand clutter either.

:redface:

Last edited: