• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

HMRC - worst employer?

W

wanda

hello, I have been off sick from work for a couple of months with anxiety and depression - I returned to work this morning, after getting used to mirtazapine and some therapy, CBT relaxation work etc. I was almost immediately called into a meeting with 2 managers, it went on an on, supposedly to run through a risk assessment which actually was just them saying what they couldn't do anything about - and the areas where they could, they already do it for everyone - after 2 and a half hours one manager decided she should now to tell me off about some petty issue dating back to January, quite unfairly. When I stood up for myself (very politely in the circumstances) she raised her voice and said in a sort of silly psychotic voice "I will be heard..." so I said that this behaviour was wholly unacceptable and I walked out. I am now right back where I was several weeks ago, with a tight anxiety ridden chest, a stomach like lead, a head that hurts, all my muscles hurt and I have absolutely no hope that I can go to work without some personal attack being made in the future- and it is not the first time either, though the first time it has happened on my first day back at work. I worked really hard just to walk through the door this morning and I truly wish I had not got out of bed.

S

starfish

what a terrible thing to happen to you. whoever it was that raised their voice to you was unethical. have you still got this job? is it worth the effort? maybe you could leave and later on look for a better job. if i were you i would tell them where to shove it.

L

Lil

I'm so sorry to hear that Wanda. Sounds like immature workplace bullying. Is there anyone above that manager that should be aware of how unprofessionally they are acting? Good on you for handling the situation so well, staying calm despite the fact I'm sure you would have wanted to slap her :)

W

wanda

well thanks for the encouragement - I actually think management are insane - but that is what you get when you continually promote people who tell their managers that they can do anything at all, no matter what, despite reductions in skilled staff etc. They have no clue about DDA, how to behave towards someone with a disability at work, mental illness, and probably have still not caiught on that Richard Nixon is no longer the US president. I spent the day today trying very very hard not to zombie about eating chocolate instead of food, and have done quite well, though feel I could easily revert. I am certainly not going back to work until I have an assurance that it is a safe environment where people are not made ill just for coming into work.