• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Hiya

D

Dark Star

I'm wondering if there's anyone out there with a good knowledge of Jungian psychology and alchemy? I need some help interpreting a dream

midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

Forum Volunteer
Hi and welcome to the forum, we're happy to have you here :welcome:

I personally dont know about dream interpretation but hopefully someone will be along shortly who can help :grouphug:

Z

Zoe1

hi Robert I will have a go
bearing in mind I'm not a professional !

what is the dream ?

D

Dark Star

hi Robert I will have a go
bearing in mind I'm not a professional !

what is the dream ?
A month ago, after reading Jung and a book on Alchemy a strange catalyzation began within me. I at once quit weed, which I smoked every day for two years and started doing the shit I'd been running from. I went to visit my best mate' parents (who killed himself a year ago last February). Started getting in touch with people I shouldn't have avoided and started attending an open mic spoken word night thing to share my poetry.
In the dream I came up stairs from the coop (retail in case you aren't from the uk) where I work, to my bedroom. Obviously not the same building in real life. My coop fleece was on my pillow and it was moving, so I threw a shirt at it. Out came a strange turkey jowled bird with a large, pink butterfly in it's mouth made of flower petals (it was reminiscent of frilly lingerie) and a piece of paper with a crude drawing of a pink flower and the words, caution cazador stings. Cazadors are venomous insects from the fallout games. The bird was terrifying though small. it had eyes like the snark from the movie up, or that of a ostrich. I opened the door wider though I didnt want it to escape. I suddenly had an office chair in my hand as I desired some sort of barrier. I turned and ran to seek help and a petal flew in my mouth but I turned to see it hopping out and toward my parents bedroom. I woke up. The bird reminds me of the winged and wingless birds I've seen in a book on alchemy I'm reading. Otherwise known as the fish and the loon. A google search of that will show you what I mean. This seems to be some sort of anima problem. In the book I'm reading the two need to become one, symbolised as a peacock. I have no clue how to approach this task

Z

Zoe1

im not very good on drugs
as I have not done much of that

probably the dream is about getting hooked on drugs
and needing to win back control

D

Dark Star

im not very good on drugs
as I have not done much of that

probably the dream is about getting hooked on drugs
and needing to win back control
As I said, I already quit weed. Nevermind

I

Ipomoea

So I have no knowledge of either of the topics you described, but I've been trying to learn how to read dreams and there is a lot of symbolism in your dream. Its meaning will probably change as you think about it because only you know everything going on in your life. Now, a bird that you are cautious of or you feel like might attack tends to symbolize that you might be being pulled in too many directions or you are experiencing conflict with your spirituality, this makes sense as you've mentioned that you recently stopped smoking weed and jumped into changing a lot of things in your life. Your mind and your spirit could be telling you to slow down a little bit and really take in the changes you're making or not to make so many at once as to not overwhelm yourself. Butterflies symbolize mental health and changes in our lives, kind of links with the bird and the fact that the bird is eating the butterfly could mean that you are taking things very fast and are crushing a piece of your soul. Flowers or flower petals in dreams tend to signify beauty, happiness, and spirituality. You're most likely feeling very happy and proud of the changes you're making (as you should its amazing) but the bird is also eating those as the butterly is made out of them; but the fact that a petal makes its way into your mouth and then goes towards your parents bedroom could be trying to tell you to change your focus. It could be saying to slow down and soak in all the great changes you've made and start making some changes towards the relationship with your parents, and since its a flower petal that is heading down to your parent's door it could mean that the change will bring great pleasure and joy to you all. The warning about the bugs could be your subconscious blatantly warning you about something you could be leading yourself down or simply again the fact that you could be making too many changes at once.

I am not a professional and honestly I look up all my answers on google, so this could be 100 percent wrong, but if not I hope it helps a little

D

Dark Star

So I have no knowledge of either of the topics you described, but I've been trying to learn how to read dreams and there is a lot of symbolism in your dream. Its meaning will probably change as you think about it because only you know everything going on in your life. Now, a bird that you are cautious of or you feel like might attack tends to symbolize that you might be being pulled in too many directions or you are experiencing conflict with your spirituality, this makes sense as you've mentioned that you recently stopped smoking weed and jumped into changing a lot of things in your life. Your mind and your spirit could be telling you to slow down a little bit and really take in the changes you're making or not to make so many at once as to not overwhelm yourself. Butterflies symbolize mental health and changes in our lives, kind of links with the bird and the fact that the bird is eating the butterfly could mean that you are taking things very fast and are crushing a piece of your soul. Flowers or flower petals in dreams tend to signify beauty, happiness, and spirituality. You're most likely feeling very happy and proud of the changes you're making (as you should its amazing) but the bird is also eating those as the butterly is made out of them; but the fact that a petal makes its way into your mouth and then goes towards your parents bedroom could be trying to tell you to change your focus. It could be saying to slow down and soak in all the great changes you've made and start making some changes towards the relationship with your parents, and since its a flower petal that is heading down to your parent's door it could mean that the change will bring great pleasure and joy to you all. The warning about the bugs could be your subconscious blatantly warning you about something you could be leading yourself down or simply again the fact that you could be making too many changes at once.

I am not a professional and honestly I look up all my answers on google, so this could be 100 percent wrong, but if not I hope it helps a little
I mean no offence in this, but I think you have got it wrong. I understand much of what the dream is telling me, I just don't know where to go from there. To me it seems obvious that the butterfly represents love/sex/unconscious object of desire. I mean its a pink butterfly made of petals that resembles gaudy womens underwear. Its also some sort of prey, that can be subsumed and learned from. Like love, it can be poisonous, it looks desirable but contains a terrifying danger. The bird never flies. It hops around with it. The bird terrified the shit out of me because it was cold, singular. It felt foreboding. Birds can be sort of reptilian in their nature. Its the masculine drive to hunt. It has a gross predation about it. This bird was not the soaring eagle but a being aware that it was trapped by its need to have this thing but unable to truly be one with it. I think it might mean that I have a split between my desire for romance, sensuality and love and my disgust at the base drives that underlie the entire thing. I refuse to indulge in hook ups and the bird (a symbol of awareness and psyche, has to withhold its desire and simply carry the thing around like some trapped butterfly

I

Ipomoea

Oh! no offence taken at all, that all makes extremely good sense. I didnt realize you wanted advice on where to go from there and that im not too good at helping with either. good luck finding someone im sure someone will know soon