• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

History

M

Marchhare

Founding Member
Hi
Could anyone tell me where I could any History of Barrow Psychiatric Hospital in Long Ashton?
Cheers
Tess

M

Marchhare

Founding Member
Thank you for the link
regards
marchhare

S

susan la

hi bristol.

How are you fine I trust. I would look under his N.H.S. web-page and put past History and also Back issues of the local news-papers area good found and of course any members on here may have been inpatient of the place in question and snips build a picture of life as a in-patient. also when I research things I look on pages connected to the subject. I am thinking going back to collage and I know there is plenty of pages to research things. Any members have memories of this unit please pass them on.:grouphug: A member in need is a friend indeed.:hug: cheers suex

M

Marchhare

Founding Member
Hi
Sadly I was there and have very bad memories of it. Just trying to find some sort of closure after all this time.
Marchhare

M

Marchhare

Founding Member
oh yes and my records along with it. I recently found out that many records were stored in a very dilapidated insecure outbuilding back in the 80/90s.How can that happen?

D

Dollit

Well that would be a question for the hospital trustees but it shouldn't happen.

A

Apotheosis

All my GP medical notes have been lost prior to around age 12; the GP I spoke to says this kind of thing happens all the time. I dunno about my psychiatric notes; but it wouldn't surprise me if some of them were missing too. This government has an abysmal record with data protection.

D

Dollit

I have a friend who is a GP and he said anything not considered relevant is weeded out and destroyed routinely so at my age I wouldn't expect anything to be in my files prior to my twenties.

A

Apotheosis

Well - there was a lot before that age, that has ongoing medical implications for me. They didn't "weed" anything out - they lost it all!

D

Dollit

Well if they lost it it's appalling - and no major company, let alone the government has particularly good track records with data protection. It's a fact of modern life that whatever system is in place someone can find a way of screwing it up.

D

Dollit

I was speaking to my consultant yesterday which reminded me that staff from Barrow are now working out of the new hospital in Bristol - I don't know if those details might help you but I can find them easily if you need to.

Last edited:
M

Marchhare

Founding Member
I was speaking to my consultant yesterday which reminded me that a staff from Barrow are now working out of the new hospital in Bristol - I don't know if those details might help you but I can find them easily if you need to.
Thats kind but too long ago.
As for my GP notes they are intact except missing around my time in Barrow.
Just seemed to be haunted abt it all at the mo:confused :confused: :(