• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Hiii, I have no motivation.

D

dewey

For some reason I have absolutely no motivation to do anything even remotely constructive.

Not even shower.

I'm just sort of sitting here.

Life feels so pointless. Like sure, I could make an effort, but what's the point.

This is probably the laziest thing I have ever written.

Feel free to talk.

B

bri7

I feel the same. Everything seems to be so hard and with no sense.
I don't understand why I'm on earth and why I'm living. I'm always lazy and depressed.
Work helps, but when the day ends, i feel so empty and lost.

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

Hello fellow amotivational people! I feel EXACTLY the same.

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

This is one of my biggest frustrations with trying so many antidepressants. NONE of them ever help these specific problems. NONE. They actually make it even WORSE!

D

Dazed & Confused

This is one of my biggest frustrations with trying so many antidepressants. NONE of them ever help these specific problems. NONE. They actually make it even WORSE!
I have stopped taking my antidepressants because they don't work (and I don't want to take antipsychotics because of the side effects).

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

I have stopped taking my antidepressants because they don't work (and I don't want to take antipsychotics because of the side effects).
I just don't know what to do anymore. I've tried going off all medication, but I just end up being SO angry and unstable, still depressed and HYPER anxious all the time. I cannot live like that.

H

hurghydurdy

I struggle with motivation now days too. I used to be very self-motivated when i was younger.

I read an article on motivation that said that the most efficient people don't necessarily have great motivation but they are disciplined so they don't let things slide even if they aren't motivated. So I guess the focus should be on becoming more disciplined but I have no more clue how to do that than I do finding motivation...

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

Me neither. I can be very disciplined, but only when I really want something (aka, I'm motivated). So when I'm not motivated, I can't be bothered being disciplined? To do what? Something I don't want to do?

D

dewey

I had a consultant psychiatrist tell me that taking medications for depression would never truly clear depression for someone with BPD as the nature of the BPD depression is often caused by relations/how you relate to others/ how you feel about yourself on a deeper level, so an anti depressant is not going to rid a person of that.

She told me to just stop wasting my time taking anti depressants and come off them (slowly of course under guidance). And that the solution was much more deeper like how I relate to others/group therapy etc.

D

dewey

I struggle with motivation now days too. I used to be very self-motivated when i was younger.

I read an article on motivation that said that the most efficient people don't necessarily have great motivation but they are disciplined so they don't let things slide even if they aren't motivated. So I guess the focus should be on becoming more disciplined but I have no more clue how to do that than I do finding motivation...
Yeah I also have heard it said that it's a myth that "motivation" is important.

I don't know

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

I had a consultant psychiatrist tell me that taking medications for depression would never truly clear depression for someone with BPD as the nature of the BPD depression is often caused by relations/how you relate to others/ how you feel about yourself on a deeper level, so an anti depressant is not going to rid a person of that.

She told me to just stop wasting my time taking anti depressants and come off them (slowly of course under guidance). And that the solution was much more deeper like how I relate to others/group therapy etc.
Well, that's me ruined then! No ADs work for me and group therapy!? HA!!!!!!!! NO THANKS!!!!! I'm not sitting around waiting for people to talk and then when it's finally my turn, I'm too socially anxious to say anything OR I have so much to say that there's either no time or no one understands what I'm blathering about.

D

dewey

Well, that's me ruined then! No ADs work for me and group therapy!? HA!!!!!!!! NO THANKS!!!!! I'm not sitting around waiting for people to talk and then when it's finally my turn, I'm too socially anxious to say anything OR I have so much to say that there's either no time or no one understands what I'm blathering about.
well I think you miss the point. that in group therapy it's mainly people with a lot of issues similar to yourself so they too would be socially anxious or have similar concerns. and people generally tend to relate to one another hugely because group therapy is for people with similar concerns. also a lot of people take time to ease into a group so no one would hold it against you if you didn't open up on the first session.

I don't think group therapy is enough though. as the people in charge of it have to teach you proper skills for coping. for example, like DBT does. DBT also has both group sessions and individual 1-1 therapy.

In general a multi-pronged wider approach might help. change something about your life. etc.

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

well I think you miss the point. that in group therapy it's mainly people with a lot of issues similar to yourself so they too would be socially anxious or have similar concerns. and people generally tend to relate to one another hugely because group therapy is for people with similar concerns. also a lot of people take time to ease into a group so no one would hold it against you if you didn't open up on the first session.

I don't think group therapy is enough though. as the people in charge of it have to teach you proper skills for coping. for example, like DBT does. DBT also has both group sessions and individual 1-1 therapy.

In general a multi-pronged wider approach might help. change something about your life. etc.
I know. Thank you for that. I was being a bit sarcastic and talking a bit too freely from the extreme negative part of my opinion about group therapy. I can see how it would be helpful.

M

Mistral

Yeah I also have heard it said that it's a myth that "motivation" is important.

I don't know
Yes, there is too much made of motivation. Things that are important often do not register very high on the motivation scale.