• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

High functioning depression and anxiety

M

Marthhugo

Hi would love some feedback on this topic. Is it possible to have high functioning anxiety and depression? How is it defined? Im not quite sure what i have, im very much a socially anxious person i dont like talking to new people or people i dont know very well, i cant make eye contact i eat my lunch in my car at work to avoid the break room, cant talk in rhe phone ect But regardless of all this i feel i can hide how im feeling pretty well despite being very lonely and anxious on the inside. Would this be considersd high functioning anxiety? Also i feel my social anxiety has led to depression. I find myself sobbing in bed before i sleep due to feeling so lonley , unwanted and mever feeling like im anyones first choice. But the next day i get up go to work and no one would know i had a breakdown the night before. Its like i push it down and ignore it. Would love some thoughts on what this is thanks for listening and caring

Capt Hooke

Capt Hooke

Yes, I'm sure that "high functioning depression" is real. People cope with jobs where real creativity/expertise/responsibility are required, and they've probably climbed the promotion ladder while being depressed. Furthermore, without the job, their condition would be worse as the job is providing what could be their one and only positive engagement.

SoftRain

SoftRain

I had high functioning anxiety and depression for years. People thought I was happy. I made them believe i was. I fought it every single day.
Please get some therapy or see a psychiatrist for it. Untreated it grows and becomes harder to deal with with age.
hugs

M

Marthhugo

That is so true about work being the only positive engagement i feel like i always want to work to escape thd loneliness of just sitting at home alone feeling useless. Im only 22 so havnt got very far in my jobs and to climb the ladder in my work requires internal interviews which im no good at, this is where the anxiety shows for sure. I think i use work as a distraction most of the time.
I find it so hard to get help like id live nothing more than to get help and answers as to why i am likw this. I sometimes feel im not depressed enough or anxious enough to get help because i can get on with daily life. I feel its a sileng killer, im drowning infront if everyone in my life but no one knows or sees it. Im so glad ive found people who understand. If you dont mind me asking whats your experience with hugh functioning anxiety and depression? Thanks so much

KittyCat92

KittyCat92

Hi @Marthhugo I fall into this category too!

It’s hard to explain things sometimes isn’t it?
Like I always feel as though do I really have depression if I can still function in everyday life? There’s so many who can’t that it does make me feel as though I’m not ‘that bad’.

Even if I’m feeling suicidal I still think like that.

I’m the same as you, I throw myself into work, I guess to give me something to keep going for, something of purpose.

It is nice to know we’re not alone.

My whole life the narrative of what depression is has always been the image of those who cannot function, cannot work, struggle with even the basics. So when you can do all of that and so much more you begin to doubt your own thoughts and feelings.

S

SadRainbow

Former member
I'm not working but I am functioning and from the outside I probably seem fine. It can feel very lonely. Please do seek treatment.

KittyCat92

KittyCat92

I'm not working but I am functioning and from the outside I probably seem fine. It can feel very lonely. Please do seek treatment.
On the outside it seems so easy to look ‘good’, excellent even but on the inside it’s like the polar opposite. It is a very lonely feeling 😔 :hug1:

jajingna

jajingna

Feel like mine is "mild" too. That's just because I know it can be much worse, can be severe. It's still bothersome though, makes me feel tired often.

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

I used to have fairly high functioning anxiety with a bit of depression. If something bad or very stressful happened in my life, I'd be rendered dysfunctional for a while though. No eating, sleeping, I'd go to work but couldn't focus and would be online all day.

I also have only worked part time since I was 25. I'm 43 now. I just couldn't deal with full time work. I would masquerade as if I was "semi-retired" at age 25, like I was rich and carefree, but really, I couldn't afford it.

Now, I'm no longer high functioning. I don't work at all (for anyone else. I make money on my own terms) and never will again. I sleep most of the day, as now on top of the long term anxiety, I have major severe depression.

It wears you down. Please don't continue to suffer in silence. Hiding it only makes you feel more alone. And you're not alone. More people than you know are going through their own similar battles.

KittyCat92

KittyCat92

I used to have fairly high functioning anxiety with a bit of depression. If something bad or very stressful happened in my life, I'd be rendered dysfunctional for a while though. No eating, sleeping, I'd go to work but couldn't focus and would be online all day.

I also have only worked part time since I was 25. I'm 43 now. I just couldn't deal with full time work. I would masquerade as if I was "semi-retired" at age 25, like I was rich and carefree, but really, I couldn't afford it.

Now, I'm no longer high functioning. I don't work at all (for anyone else. I make money on my own terms) and never will again. I sleep most of the day, as now on top of the long term anxiety, I have major severe depression.

It wears you down. Please don't continue to suffer in silence. Hiding it only makes you feel more alone. And you're not alone. More people than you know are going through their own similar battles.
Right now I couldn’t imagine my life without work.

I have an assessment Tuesday morning so I am finally reaching out. I’m anxious af about it and no idea where it’s going to go but I know I need to do something even though I don’t feel like I deserve it.

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

You deserve it! We all do, even though we don't feel like we do (me included).

M

Marthhugo

Its awful how we convivce ourselves that we arent bad enough, but the fact that we are all on this forum kind of speaks for itself! I think we would all like to get help and get ourself sorted and we should give ourselves the chance to get better before givibg up and throwing in the towel that is life. I do think help woukd greatly benefit me and i really wabt to give myself the beat chabce at a good life but it is just so hard to make the first step, i dont know how to even begin. I can feel this anxiety and depression eating away at me slowly and it just feels so lonely so i am very very very greatfull to be hearing all of your guys opinions and stories i am so greatful for this forum ive never talked about my emotions so much in my life and i really feel this is good for me to get it out even ifIts to compkete strangers!

KittyCat92

KittyCat92

Its awful how we convivce ourselves that we arent bad enough, but the fact that we are all on this forum kind of speaks for itself! I think we would all like to get help and get ourself sorted and we should give ourselves the chance to get better before givibg up and throwing in the towel that is life. I do think help woukd greatly benefit me and i really wabt to give myself the beat chabce at a good life but it is just so hard to make the first step, i dont know how to even begin. I can feel this anxiety and depression eating away at me slowly and it just feels so lonely so i am very very very greatfull to be hearing all of your guys opinions and stories i am so greatful for this forum ive never talked about my emotions so much in my life and i really feel this is good for me to get it out even ifIts to compkete strangers!
You’ve already made the first step by being here and talking.

We’re not alone ❤️

Have you ever spoken to a GP about how you feel? That would be a good place to start, they can then talk you through your options of what to do next.

M

Marthhugo

You’ve already made the first step by being here and talking.

We’re not alone ❤

Have you ever spoken to a GP about how you feel? That would be a good place to start, they can then talk you through your options of what to do next.

i havnt gone to my gp im too anxious to go, i think some sort of online counselling would work better for me personally rather than face to face with someone, i think i woukd benefit more and open up more through some sort on online counselling. I did have an appointment booked for online counselling but chickened out! Its just very dawnting for me and i feel like sometimes the more i feed inti and talk about my emotions the worse it gets, i think im scared to really dive into and explore the reasons i am the way i am