• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

High dose fluoxetine for bulimia?

• Thread starter emmaleemochizuki
  • Start date
E

emmaleemochizuki

I struggle with purging (but not binging), I have anorexia b/p subtype.

I am wondering if anyone found a high dose of fluoxetine helped?
(I am currently on sertraline as an antidepressant and quetiapine)

I know its licensed to treat bulimia.

B

Black Despondency

It is common to have to use different doses of medications to treat different disorders. Getting a medication licensed for a specific disorder is expensive and time consuming, not having an official license to advertise for a disorder doesn't mean it won't be effective. From what I have read from articles and studies Fluoxetine is a good choice to treating eating disorders.
My struggles with eating.​
In the past I have struggled with eating usually with depression and anxiety. Not eating because I get little too no pleasure from it, hating myself and only eating particular foods. My body was eating my muscle at this point. I'm not a big fan of the hieght weight scale for measuring weight health. I still forget to eat frequently. Treating my depression has helped a lot with my eating.

N

natalie

Hi emaleemochizuki,

Here at mhf as you are probably aware, we cannot assess you. The best way forward is to contact your cmht department, or your GP, to find out more. i hadn't actually known, in accordance to the leaflet, that Fluxoetine, does help your problem condiiton, however also if you wish you re adapt the doseage, please do consult a medical professional in this matter.

I hope you will understand this.

Best wishes.