• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

hi

Unhinged

Unhinged

hi, i'm a 26 yr old female. about a month ago i finaly sought help from my GP for various issues. he immediately refered me to therapy (while awaiting a psychiatrist consult) using phrases like bipolar and schizophrenic, but saying he had to wait to figure things out. i've been fighting a downward spiral of depression for the past 7 months with the occasion self harm, and sucidal thoughts. also, ever since 5th grade i've had halucinations, but never sought help until now. i'm just hoping to find some friends i can talk to. i've cut myself off from almost all social contacts, i am just sure all my "friends" do is laugh at me. i work in the emergency service field, and am having major anxiety toward my work to the point that i may be loosing my job. i haven't told my employer/coworkers i'm having problems and seeking help. maybe after the docs know whats wrong i'll be able to talk to my employers.
anyways, yeah so hi. i just hope that somehow we will be able to help eachother on here, or atleast be that 'ear' i know i need, and suspect the others on here need too. i'll try to answer any questions and be open to all imput anyone may have.
thanks for having me :cry:

P

prettywoman

Hi Unhinged and welcome to the forum. There is so much support on here, I just wished id found it sooner, instead of using chat rooms, which only escalated my problems. Does your work have a welfare service or counselling service for employees? I think the sooner you talk to someone within the work environment the sooner they can put in support mechanisms (hopefully they have that- OH/Counselling etc) Dont be ashamed to say you're struggling even before you've been given a diagnosis. We are quick to label people, regardless of diagnosis we all have the same common need....support. And thats what this forum offers....in bundles. x

Unhinged

Unhinged

thanks pretty
i see my therapist (and by that i mean the annoying lady that makes me feel like crap and seems to be laughing at me for not thinking correctly) tomorrow and i'm going to ask her for advice on how to talk to my boss. my fear i guess is the type of work i do, i need to be on my A-Game at all times, and my boss may loose faith in me. i know he has already talked to my partner about firing me. i just hope they can wait and give me the chance to get better.
my partner is my best friend and is one of maybe 3 ppl that know whats going on with me (and thats only because he was my friend before we started working together, newly assigned together) he says he won't let them fire me. :unsure:

P

prettywoman

They cant fire you just like that....im not sure what you do, but im assuming you work for statutory organisation. Certain procedures have to be put in place...capacity/disciplinary procedures etc. They would be on sticky ground just firing you.....you have the DDA to protect you. Unfortunately some employers are old school...and only look at disability through the medical model..eg: if its broken we fix it...that doesnt quite work with mental health issues. Given that you seem to be in a job that may be quite stressful..you should be getting regular supervision/support from line manager, not telling your partner that they are going to fire you!!! It sounds like you have a great partner, i let mine go...he's still on the scene and being so supportive, he's the only one who really knows and understands me. So you keep hold of yours. If you've not got confidence in your therapist see someone else if you can....finding someone you trust and can confide in is the biggest hurdle. Sorry for waffling....

P

prettywoman

capacity should read capability!!!! Having one of those days!! LOL

P

prettywoman

How you doing mate? You know where I am if you need an ear.

Take care xxx

:)

Unhinged

Unhinged

been off at work past few days. was a pretty rough shift, good to be home. overall doing a little better i think. its nice having this forum available, seems to be making a difference :)

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Welcome to the forum Unhinged, we're a friendly bunch here so do keep posting and take care.

Honey

Unhinged

Unhinged

thanks honey!

today is going pretty good so far. i got so much done. deff a high day :D

keepsafe

keepsafe

Welcome to the form unhinged - hope its of help to you

KS

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Good to hear that you've had a better day - hope it continues that way! :hug:

Spaceman

Spaceman

Hi Unhinged

:welcome: to the forum. Sorry I missed you introduction.

I have been on here for a month and it has helped me to help.

People are very friendly and helpful and I hope you enjoy yourself and it helps you with a bit of empathic support

Take Care

Spaceman:cool:

P

prettywoman

Just remember you are not alone.....im having a night and a half, trying to explain to my sister whats wrong.....just doesnt seem to sink in that I cant just pull myself together (no matter how hard I try). Hope fully one day she may just understand how Im feeling.....so alone....so empty......

Spaceman

Spaceman

As you said Prettywoman "You are not alone"

I too used to tell my son to pull himself together but that is what I end up telling myself now, how sad. In fact until you experience what we do you can't begin to understand. Your sister won't understand completely but if she can accept you for who you are then half the battle is won. Be patient with her, I think her frustration is because she loves you and this is the only way she knows how to cope, she probably thinks she is doing best by you. She could be as lost as you feel.

Take care and Goodnight

Spaceman:cool:

Unhinged

Unhinged

thanks a lot to everyone.

pretty, you truely are not alone. shoot me a pm and let me know how it goes with your sister :hug:

today has been really rough, not sure why. i drove to the city to go shopping (needed some new gear for work) which usually makes me feel better but it was just downhill all day. i nearly had a breakdown when i got home and talked to my boyfriend, finally told him a lot of what i've been dealing with and he listened really well, just let me vent. i just hope i didn't scare him off.
told him some of the thoughts i've been fighting today and about some of the stupid things i've been doing. i'm just really lucky he's there i guess.

i can't even begin to think about talking to my sister again about all this. i know she'll just laugh again.