• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Hi

M

mrsdoubtfire

I'm here cos I'm worried about my son and looking for a bit of advice

Merlin

Merlin

I'm here cos I'm worried about my son and looking for a bit of advice
Hello Mrs Doubtfire, I joined last night cos i'm worried about my daughter. lets hope we both find the answers. Good luck to you.

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
Welcome to you both and I hope you find what you're looking for. Look forward to seeing you around.

Rollinat

D

Dollit

Would you like to say a little of why you need help for your son and we'll try our best to help. And welcome.

M

mrsdoubtfire

my son

Had various strange episodes over the years (he's 34). Most recently, he booked a holiday with a friend and should have gone 27/12. When I asked if he neede anything to take said all was taken care of. Asked on 22/12 if he needed any money from bank said he wasn't goin anywhere, asked if he had told friend and said yes. Friend rang on 24/12 and I could tell by conversation that he was telling him he was ready to go, alarm bells started ringing for me.
Asked my son a few times if he had told friend he wasn't goin still said yes. 26/12 friend rang again, I knew he was making arrangements to pick him up to go. When I asked son again said his mate had cancelled holiday. Felt awful but rang friend and he said my son had told him he was packed ready so had to tellhim he wasn't goin. May not seem much to othersbut he also thinks gangsters are after him and keeps looking out window. Dont know if its substance abuse or what, very worried and scared

D

Dollit

You can make your son's GP aware of the situation but he can't discuss your son with you. It does sound like that your son isn't ready to be helped just yet. This will sound frightening I know but based on what you've said it could be anything. What I would do though if I was you would be to get in touch with Rethink or MIND. If you go to the front page of this site there's a tab called "Getting Help" and there are useful contact details there.

Don't feel you have to cope alone - you don't and you are always welcome here.

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
Hello Mrsdoubtfire and welcome. :welcome:

M

mrsdoubtfire

Thankyou so much for your reply, Dollit, Ms P and best of luck to you Merlin. I have thought about speaking to my GP but when I get round to making the appt. things seem to settle down again, does this happen? or is my son able to sort of cover things up? I would hate to think he was suffering but not letting on. Do you know if stress can bring on these attacks? At the moment everything appears normal (whatever that is) he appears to be more settled, not wandering about the house and tumble drying the same things over and over. Anyway thankyou again, I will post soon.

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
Stress can cause or make worse so many things. Maybe you should follow what your instincts tell you regarding your son?
I wish I'd listened to my 'gut-feelings' more often in my life.
Good luck to you. :)

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
Hi Mrs Doubtfire... IT sounds like a worrying time for you and your son but I hope that you can get some support soon. All I can say is I go to great extremes not to tell my parents things and this can be pretty stressfull for us all so I really hope you can get some supprt real soon. The forum is alway here to and I l take this oppertuity to say :welcome: Intel x

S

saffron

welcome mrs d
It s a nightmare trying to work out what sons are thinking eh, I have found though that by letting him make his own decisions and lwtting him know that I have recognised that there is a problem and that I will be there ready to listen when he is ready to talk about it is about all I can do, otherwise he will become even more distant the more I try to push him or interfere with his life. does that make sense.
You will never stop worrying about your child no matter how old, but he is an adult and sometimes all you can do is let him know you will always be there for him no matter what he is doing or what he might have got himself into, we all make mistakes, I am sure when he is ready to talk to you about it he will as long as you are there to listen and not to judge or control.
for your own sanity though speak to your doctor as he may be able to guide you.
best of luck and hope you find what you are looking for.
S

M

mrsdoubtfire

Not having very good day. Son was on lager last night and bit confused and talking to himself a bit (but dont we all). Feel like I must confront him about all this. Not being selfish but have to think of myself (Ive got breast cancer) husbands got health problems. My younger son who lives with us with his girlfriend thinks its all down to drugs, he has used different ones since he was 16. Will still make appt. with gp

M

mrsdoubtfire

Things are not too bad at the moment, but I still find my sons behavior a little strange. I mentioned this am that his friend would be back from holiday and he said his friend hadn't been anywhere.It's like he is in total denial about this holiday, am I reading too much into all this?