• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Hi

Graceelsie

Graceelsie

Hello, I'm Graceelsie and I am here because I have an "adoptive daughter" with mental health difficulties. She also has very mild learning difficulties and is classed as a "vulnerable adult". S is in her twenties and a relative through my first marriage (I am now in my second) and she came to live with us as if our daughter in spring 2007. She spent her teens in foster care after being neglected and abused as a child and then went into an abusive marriage and ended up losing her two children, one of whom was adopted away from her against her will and one who is being brought up by his paternal grandmother and she only gets four hours a year access. She had a breakdown just after she came to live with us.They think she has Conversion Disorder and PTSD but nobody seems very sure and we are not getting any help to cope as her carers. I also have a son in his twenties from my first marriage living at home with us who has autism and learning difficulties and I suffer from M.E. so life is a bit hard and I am just looking for people to talk to who know what it's like.

T

Twylight

Hi Graceelsie and welcome

I'm wondering if S has to take any medication as you mentioned there was a breakdown

I looked up conversion disorder and the symptoms are paralyses, numbness and fits.

I would be tempted to call NHS direct on 0845 46 47 for advice - leave your details and a doctor will phone you back 24/7

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
Hi Graceelsie and welcome. :)
My oldest daughter has PDD/NOS and MCDD. She's 15 now. I haven't seen my children in several years due to circumstances. I can't give you any solutions, but I can sympathize with what you're going through and how you must feel. Wishing you strength. :hug:

Graceelsie

Graceelsie

Hi Graceelsie and welcome

I'm wondering if S has to take any medication as you mentioned there was a breakdown

I looked up conversion disorder and the symptoms are paralyses, numbness and fits.

I would be tempted to call NHS direct on 0845 46 47 for advice - leave your details and a doctor will phone you back 24/7
Hi Twylight and thanks for the welcome! S is taking Lyrica and Prozac. We've been through all the NHS stuff including numerous A&E visits, scans, x-rays, epilepsy tests, neuro tests, physio- the lot - and they can't find a thing wrong with her. The only people now giving any help are the Pain Clinic. We have had all sorts of problems getting the psychs involved, but there is a new one we are waiting to see now so perhaps he will be better. She'd had bouts of similar symptoms in the past during her abusive marriage. During her first child's first year she was in and out of hospital every few days with fits and had a bout of paralysis that lasted a few weeks.She and I weren't in touch at that point. This present bout started with her breakdown in August 2007 and at first she was in a wheelchair and we were constantly taking her to hospital as she was having fits of three or four hours duration. She is now walking with a rollator and her fits generally only last a few minutes at a time so much better but pretty much reached a glass ceiling in her recovery. Still occassionally urinary incontinent. There's lots of dissociative amnesia and confusion going on in patches too, as well as speech problems on and off. She also hears voices. They blame it all on the loss of her kids. She does go to a day centre for adults with learning difficulties three days a week, which she enjoys, but life is hard and she is very very emotionally fragile and needy. The local mental health team have been worse than useless - a long story.

Graceelsie

Graceelsie

Hi Graceelsie and welcome. :)
My oldest daughter has PDD/NOS and MCDD. She's 15 now. I haven't seen my children in several years due to circumstances. I can't give you any solutions, but I can sympathize with what you're going through and how you must feel. Wishing you strength. :hug:
Many thanks for the hug. It is so hard, we miss the kids so much.

D

Dollit

There is some posts about Conversion Disorder on here though I'm not sure if the people who posted them are regular users but perhaps you could find some inspiration there.

There is a part of the forum for carers and families but don't confine yourself to there please - talk where it helps you most.

And good to see you here.