• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

Hi

O

Opti

I thought I would have a look around a forum like this as lately I have been experience some odd mental behaviour.

Weird thoughts occasionally come into my head as if I (or my mind) am trying to shock myself, some of it is quite nasty stuff and I have to consciously block it out and think of something else. It's not stuff I have done or want to do it is just as if there is something in my brain trying to wind me up.

Why would anyone do that to themself?

So what's the story here, do I have anything to worry about?

A bit of history...
I am male, 36y/o
No real prior problems though did suffer with anxiety for a while after my child was born prem and shortly after lost my mother.
I took something related to valium for a couple of months, didn't really feel that I was benefitting so eventually just 'got over it', this was about 10 years ago.
My job is slightly stressful not massively so but unfulfilling, my finances are a bit rough.
I am in a sound, long term relationship.
I drink too much.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Hello and :welcome: to MHF.

IMO ........ you have come here so therefore you have a worry .
I would suggest you see your gp & take it from there. As no one here can say you have to worry about this thatand t'other. We can support & listen tho :)

D

Dollit

Hi Opti - as a recovering alcoholic of over 17 years the thing that lights up is that you drink too much. I'm not saying you're alcoholic - that's not for me to judge but it's the reasons why we drink that cause the problems and the drink just compounds them. I used to sit in front of the tv and think "what if I throw this coffee mug at the screen accidentally" - bizarre and think that strongly only when I'm stressed out. Impulsive thoughts do tend to be stress related and if you're in a stressful job (and a little stress can be as destructive as a lot if it's the wrong sort), have some financial worries and are drinking too much then personally I'd be looking at ways to change things. Even just a slight change can make a difference.

S

Starbright

:welcome::grouphug: everyone gets some unwanted thoughts, nasty, dangerous, upsetting. I think that one way to deal with them is to just let them happen or another way is to distract yourself by doing something else (even if it's just counting to 100)