• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Hi

A

Allyke

Hey, I'm new to all this...I've had problems with depression since I was about 14 or 15 (I'm 20 now), but I've only just been to see my GP about it and a counsellor too. But my GP seems to think it's more complicated than just depression and might be cyclothymia or something? Just thought it might be useful to talk to other people who understand...as I'm a bit confused about the whole thing...

Thanks to everyone xx

E

eternitybeckons

Hey Allyke
Welcome to the forum. My advice is to get as much info as you can on the web about cyclothymia and bipolar and you may work it out for yourself what the problem is. I take it you've been on various antidepressants and they've not really helped. I've been having counselling for over a year now and thoroughly recommend it to get it all out of your system and explore avenues to recovery which you actually work out for yourself, the counsellor is just a facilitator really.
Good luck and take care
eternitybeckons

A

Allyke

Hey, thanks for replying. I've actually never been on antidepressants, as this is the first time I've seen someone about it (probably should have done sooner, really). I originally went because the depression got really bad, but after asking a few questions, my GP said she would be quite hesitant to put me on antidepressents as she was concerned that it might be something like cyclothymia. I have done some research and mostly it seems to fit, but I'm not 100% sure about the hypomania part of it...I get some of the symptoms, but never that badly and never for more than a few hours to a day...but I guess like everything else, the severity can vary. I'm seeing my doctor again tomorrow about going on some kind of medication - she seems to think that because I mostly have depressive symptoms then I might do quite well on antidepressants, but that it can be quite risky if I do actually have cyclothymia...I've done some research into this, but I'm still unsure.
Thank you for all your advice, hope everything's ok with you.

B

Blondie

Just wanted to say welcome love and I'm glad you are seeking help xx

BORTU

BORTU

Greetings Allyke,

I'm new here to so just saying hello. Nice people on here so anytime you feel like a chat someone will reply.