• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Hi there can you help?

S

SKY

Hi people i dont mean to sound totally naive but could someone please explain a psychotic episode to me.I see the term used rather a lot on here and the only time you ever here the word mentioned on tv or out in the world is when its related to a murdurer or something horrible its obviouly not as bad as that and Id like to understand the term please apart from anything when asked if i have moments of this or that it would be good to know if i have or not!
Thanks people
xx

A

Apotheosis

Strange; in that it can be hard to find personal accounts detailing the subjective content of psychotic experiences. I wrote about mine here if it helps.

- http://www.mentalhealthforum.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2183

I don't think that the things I have experienced while in psychosis have been that unusual for that type of experience.

Very good books on the subjects of the content of the psychotic are "Trials of the Visionary Mind" & "The Far Side of Madness" by John Weir Perry.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?hl=...a=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result#PPP1,M1

http://www.amazon.com/Trials-Visionary-Transpersonal-Humanistic-Psychology/dp/0791439887

When the Dream Becomes Real...

One morning as you look out the window, the city seems more ragged than usual. A nearby building appears to be on fire. There's a sulphurous stench in the air. Broken glass and rubble litter the streets. People lie on the pavement and in doorways, seemingly dead. Your terror turns to panic when you notice a rat gnawing on a corpse. Screaming, you rush to the bathroom to throw up. From your skeletal reflection in the mirror, you realise you too have died: empty eye sockets stare back at you from a hollow skull.

The end of the world? Not exactly. Hallucination? Yes. The vision of death described above is typical of the onset of the psychological condition known as the Acute Schizophrenic Break Syndrome.

According to official statistics of the World Health Organisation, between one and two percent of the population is thus affected (i.e. 66 to 130 million people in 1994), depending on the method of clinical definition. Broadly speaking, this represents from one to two percent of the general population – one in five hospital beds – who have been brought to a mental hospital, diagnosed, and chronically medicated. Most will forfeit their job, their friends and their family. Many lose their home. They constitute thirty-three percent of the homeless in America today.

Whether in the hospital, at home, or discharged onto the street, these are ordinary people whose normal lives were suddenly interrupted by the unexpected, spontaneous, and powerful onset of a dramatic non-ordinary state of consciousness.

The vision typically begins with Apocalyptic scenes of death and world destruction.

Let's go back to that scene for a moment. As you are hysterically rushed through the traffic, away from family and friends in a screaming ambulance, how could you possibly know that it is not yourself who has come to an end, only your precious personality that has died? When you arrive at the hospital, the admitting psychiatrist informs you that you've had a Nervous Breakdown, and that you are in urgent need of immediate medication. From the dead look in his eyes, you get the feeling you may be here forever. While you gulp the goblet of Lethe he proffers, you wonder whether you will ever return to the land of the living. Soon, the Lithium or Thorazine takes over like a dose of deadly nightshade. Then you collapse into a dreamless sleep. When you wake up much later on, the vision is gone. But there is a great emptiness, a hollow feeling, as if the lights went out. For years afterwards, perhaps till the end of your days, your life is reduced to a kind of limbo in which you eke out a meaningless existence, popping pills to keep the vision from coming back to haunt you, a pathetic shadow of your former self.
Source - http://spiritualemergency.blogspot.com/2006/01/inner-apocalypse.html