• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Hi ! so, do I swallow the drugs or try and change my life?

G

GingerTubthumper

Hello All,
I've just found you all from a link from the BBC, nice forum, keep up the good work. I'm looking for some advice or to hear if anyone else has been in a similar spot.

My G.P. has diagnosed Anxiety and Depression and prescribed me Citalopram (20mg). It was all quite quick at the surgery and I didn't really think it through until I had got home. It was very much 'get started on these and you'll feel better in a month'.

I'm very apprehensive at the prospect of starting these, partly because it sounds like they can be a bit nasty and partly because I'm not sure this is addressing whatever the root causes are.

In the past I've had short periods of feeling down but these usually pass and I've always been a bit of a worrier and tightly strung.

I'm having a bad time at work and not coping at all. I'm considering quitting the job and trying to sort myself out, relaxing, getting fit again and just putting myself back together without the drugs. My fear is that work is not the cause but just a symptom of something else and I'm quitting what might be a decent job. Also if I do have time off will I just descend into a deeper depression and end up worse. (luckily I can take up some freelance work so I wouldn't starve).

I don't know what is the cause and what is the effect, is depression ruining life and work or is work and stress causing the depression. From other postings I see people discussing accepting or fighting depression. I want to avoid the drugs and tackle this but am I just fooling myself thinking I can fight my way through this ?

Anyhoo, thanks for reading and any advice gratefully received

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Thats the biggy decision on whether to take the anti depressants or not. Most people with depression on this forum seem to be on meds of one kind or another but in the end only you can decide.Other things are important like what sort of support you have from family and friends and the amount of stress going on in your life. Maybe a second appointment to talk to the doctor would help and possibly counselling.
KP

Q

quality factor

Hi and :welcome: to the forum.

It might be an idea to try and have a longer conversation with your
GP, (I know they are busy). Can you make a twenty minute appt. instead of the usual ten?
You need to discuss exactly the contents of your post, copy it or print it out for the GP.
It is a big decision on whether to take medication, often talking can help just as much or indeed a combi of both.
At the end of the day it has to be down to you. You seem to be giving the situation sensible thought so try and go with your gut feeling bearing in mind that meds are not always the answer in the long term.

D

Dollit

It's a bit like the chicken and the egg. Recently I was in a prolonged situation via work and since I made a major decision I've felt lighter and much calmer but I still have bipolar disorder. Often stress will exacerbate what is already there. Only you can make that decision but there are other ways of dealing with things. I use mindfulness www.bangor.ac.uk/mindfulness with give you an good idea of what it is and you can download free 10 minute podcasts from iTunes.

G

GingerTubthumper

thanks for the replies everyone

I think I do need to see the doctor again, I have a follow up appointment arranged so I'll hold off the meds until then, it was all a bit of a whirlwind last time. I'll try and see how it goes without them until then, I'd really like to avoid them if I can.

interestingly I mentioned it to a couple friends last night and they suddenly opened up about what meds they and their friends and family are on or have been offered, strange how this sort of thing is still kept 'secret'. It was a mixed bag of anecdotes, meds seem a very personal experience and it seems no two people react the same way, doesn't make a choice like his easy does it :eek: :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Introduce Yourself 16