• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Hi (New member)

Madman

Madman

My name is Paul, I was recently diagnosed with Schizophrenia, Bipolar Disorder, Psychosis and Paranoia - what a lovely list!!!

I have been hearing voices and seeing things that others don't for many years and until very recently have coped quite well with it all. This year however, I had to seek help as some of the noise in my head was becoming unbearable and very difficult to deal with.

I am now on Olanzapine and am finding things a little more settled - not really different in a big way, but easier to deal/cope with.

Anyway, that's just a tiny bit about me for now :)

My site - http://hearing-voiceshttps://www.mentalhealthforum.net/forum//index.cgi

P

pinkmetalgirl

Hi - nice to meet you. Welcome to the forum :)

Good to hear things are a bit easier for you at the mo. My name's Rai - I've been diagnosed with a similarly big list of stuff, but am working towards distancing myself from the psych system (a challenge, but am getting there)

x

T

ThePayingRoomate

Howdy Madman. I wouldn't get too discouraged over the limited success of the pills. I've had very little success myself, though my non-paying roommates popped up after a head injury. After all these years, many of which feeling like the VA's energizer test bunny for various pills, I think I've become a bit more comfortable with the idea of coping than constantly getting my hopes up-then-dashed on the next magic potion. There's been some successes, like my anti-anxiety meds, which certainly help quite a bit. That's something, I guess.

Hope everything works out and you can bounce back from any hurdles that life tosses in the way.

Returncc

Returncc

There's been some successes, like my anti-anxiety meds, which certainly help quite a bit. That's something, I guess.
i dont suppose you could list the various anti-anxiety drugs you are familiar with, the general take, and doses, for people who might benefit from this aspect of medication.

T

ThePayingRoomate

i dont suppose you could list the various anti-anxiety drugs you are familiar with, the general take, and doses, for people who might benefit from this aspect of medication.
I don't have a variety of meds to compare/contrast. Lorazepam/Ativan was the first anti-anxiety med they tried me on, and it helped. They have me also taking low dose Fluoxetine/Prozac though I'm not sure if that part has made any significant difference, but I haven't had any side effects due to it, so I'm still sticking with that combo for anxiety.

Dosage is daily 20mg of fluoxetine, but the important and significantly helpful part is the lorazepam as needed. My prescription comes in 0.5mg pills, which I can take before potentially stressful situations, or if I'm feeling a bit anxious, or I can take higher dosages to deal with more serious anxiety episodes. I imagine how high a dose is appropriate for varying anxiety would depend on factors such as body weight, how well your liver processes it, etc.

I don't know if everyone's situation allows for a routine where you can take it as needed, thus allowing one to cope with the less problematic days or even parts of days without being doped up. Also there is a risk of dependency with it, though I still personally prefer not to take it unless I think it's necessary, so I think that may be more of a risk for people who use or abuse it at much higher dosages.

Hope that's useful, but that's just my own personal experience. Meds can be hit or miss for different people, and I'm not a doctor so this is about as anecdotal and unofficial as recommendations can go. I don't live an anxiety free life, but I've had more success dealing with it with this particular medication than without.

Madman

Madman

Sorry, I've been away for a while, so didn't see the replies to my post until today - thanks for the welcome, it's nice to meet you all.