Hi, new member after some comfort

G

GP23

Hi all

I have just registered to this forum as I wanted to first of all thank you all for helping me finally reach the end of a 3 hour panic attack as a result of reading this forum - the forum helped me relax and concentrate on something else as I connected with all your stories. Thank you so much for this forum and it is great knowing I am not alone.

I would also like to say sorry that many of you also experience what I have been experiencing in recent months and I really hope things get better for you all. I would also like to ask for your forgiveness. I deeply regret my misjudgement of those that explain they have panic attacks - I now realise just how real they are and I am truly sorry.

I am a guy in his early 30s and I experienced my first panic attack at the end of 2018. The experience was frightening to the point I almost called 999. The following morning I was so exhausted that I haven't really recovered since mentally and for the first time in my career I am starting to underperform quite noticeably at work.

Before today, I experienced a further two panic attacks but they were mild compared to the first one and these two only lasted about 25 mins. However, this evening I experienced an almost three hour long panic attack - it actually peaked after about 1 hr 30 mins. I can't believe how real panic attack actually are. Even a phone call to my girlfriend (which worked and calmed me down last time) did not work and I had to quickly end the call as I honestly thought I was going to die and my left hand couldn't even hold the phone. My girlfriend does not know yet about the panic attacks.

I am really concerned at what is happening and I would be really grateful for some advice on anything you think might help. I am fortunate in one sense that I am not registered with a GP because I have never had any health problems to date in my life. Do you think I should see a GP?

I am going back to my parents house this weekend as I think some quality time with mother hen is in order (mothers are still fantastic even in your 30s) - I live alone at the moment.

Thank you in advance

P

Pollypop

Hi GaryPrice23. I think it is essential that you register with a
GP.
Not just because of your panic attacks but incase you have any
kind of health problems in the future.

Have you any idea what started the attacks?

Things people say are
Try to control your breathing,
Try distraction,
And many other ideas.

These are ok if they work but I am unable to cope
like this yet.
I have had the same experience as you when using the phone.

I am glad you are able to your parents home.
It sounds as if it will be comforting.

My last word for now is that I think you should see a doctor.
This could give you some help and reassurance.

Hoping you are feeling better and best wishes
for the days to come.

Pollypop

G

GP23

Hi GaryPrice23. I think it is essential that you register with a
GP.
Not just because of your panic attacks but incase you have any
kind of health problems in the future.

Have you any idea what started the attacks?

Things people say are
Try to control your breathing,
Try distraction,
And many other ideas.

These are ok if they work but I am unable to cope
like this yet.
I have had the same experience as you when using the phone.

I am glad you are able to your parents home.
It sounds as if it will be comforting.

My last word for now is that I think you should see a doctor.
This could give you some help and reassurance.

Hoping you are feeling better and best wishes
for the days to come.

Pollypop
Hi Pollypop

Thank you for the reply.

I think the cause can only be one of three things or a combination:

-work related (most likely cause - I would like to leave but due to long work hours I am finding it hard to search for another role);
-I've always been a bit of worrier;
-I am flying soon and I do not like flying (it is not a phobia but it does make me anxious for months ahead and fits in with the worrier point above).

I have also tried controlling the breathing and distracting myself but like you I wasn't able to get this to work successfully. I think the controlling the breathing method made it a little worse tonight but I think distraction can be worked on and could help as I got it to work last time but unfortunately it didn't work tonight.

My parents home will be comforting. I am going back on Friday night for fish & chips and to relax until Sunday - I'm looking forward to getting away from the city for the weekend.

Thank you for the advice and I agree that I should register with a doctor, which I will do tomorrow. It's part of the reason why I asked - I think I just needed someone to tell me do it.

Thank you for taking the time to reply and all the best to you as well.

P

Pollypop

Hi GaryPrice23,

Trying to control my breathing also made me worse.
For me it made more aware I was having an attack.
I have been told to breathe with a paper bag over my nose and
mouth.
This affects the oxygen and carbon dioxide.

Did you manage to register with a doctor.
I imagine it may be difficult with long working hours, and also
finding a surgery that is taking on new patients.

I’m sure it would be beneficial to talk to a doctor.

Wishing you all the best with everything.

L

Lunar Lady

Hi GP23,

Panic attacks are so frightening - really sorry you're going through this.

I suffered terribly with panic attacks for about a year and a half. At the time, I was under immense stress. My father's sudden and unexpected death seemed to act as the catalyst for the panic attacks, so I'm wondering if you've gone through some sort of emotional trauma recently? It's easy to underestimate the emotional impact some situations have on us, so we don't always recognise the trigger straight away.

I would definitely let your doctor know what's going on.

The episodes became fewer and further between once I started to relax more and gave myself the space and time to heal. I took up Tai Chi and worked with relaxation techniques and guided meditation.

So glad you've got a great mum to support you. Tell your family exactly how you're feeling so they can give you the best support whilst this is going on.

Big hug x