• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Hi, need help, lost and confused

H

Herbro

Hello,

So I'm here. Not for my self, but my sister. I'm the oldest of 3 kids, and my younger sister who is 35 has been battling mental health issues. She's been diagnosed in the beginning with deep depression, then bipolar, then bipolar with psychosis... In 10 years, she's had 4 relapses, it has thrown her life upside down, she recovers, falls apart, recovers, etc.

I'm just here to learn and see if I can help her more than what we have done to date. As you all know, the health care system is crap, under vested in, and not the most helpful. We are in Canada, I find it difficult to get second opinions and support.

My sister seems to have unrealistic views of life. All she wants to do is listen to the same song all day. Doesn't say a word and spend hours and hours in the bathroom. This is when she falls apart. She takes her medication on time, everyday, but how she relapses every year or two years.

I'm not convinced we have the right diagnosis. When she is okay, she's able to work, do things, and is more social, but no where near to what a person should be able to do.

B

bpd2020

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hello Herbro and welcome to the forum. I think it is so lovely you are here to support your sister.

D

Daringdan

Sorry to hear about her health condition. You are right the healthcare system can be disappointing. I know its simple advice but I'd say to push and keep pushing until you find a therapist and psychiatrist that really works for her if you haven't done this already.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
Well done for helping your sister, I'm sorry she's poorly. I had to request a new psychiatrist my new one is so much better.
I hope she finds the right diagnosis.
We are here if you need us.
Take care

W

WindingRoad

Hi.i am new here and understand what you are going through. I believe it is common for people suffering from mental illness to relapse. My son does every 2 years also. You are doing great supporting your sister.

reservoirwolf

reservoirwolf

Your sister is lucky to have you. I'm sorry for how she's feeling but I hope being here will be helpful for you.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
It sounds like you are both trying to get through this as best as you can. Do you have anyone looking after you? I hope so.

It is difficult going through mental illness, but it is just a different type of life and there isn't much we can do about it. As long as she has a good psychiatrist and good medication, and the ability to have a change of medication to prevent new episodes getting too out of hand, that is good.

Every 2 years is the same for me. I usually have a change in amount of medication, reducing or increasing one or the other as needed.

H

Herbro

I look after myself 😉.

I'm not sold on the psychiatrist.. maybe because he's got 30-45 mins every 3 months. How can they help anyone with such limited time

H

Herbro

It sounds like you are both trying to get through this as best as you can. Do you have anyone looking after you? I hope so.

It is difficult going through mental illness, but it is just a different type of life and there isn't much we can do about it. As long as she has a good psychiatrist and good medication, and the ability to have a change of medication to prevent new episodes getting too out of hand, that is good.

Every 2 years is the same for me. I usually have a change in amount of medication, reducing or increasing one or the other as needed.
Every two years, can't imagine what you go through. Do you generally know when you are headed into a down turn?

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Every two years, can't imagine what you go through. Do you generally know when you are headed into a down turn?
I think with depression, i recognise more so. I often will have been crying for a few nights in a row, really crying, and then the penny drops - i have been crying for several days now, this isn't right, maybe i am not well.

With the hypo/mania, it would be me staying up very late and getting up very early, that would make me think something was not right. I do notice when i am talking constantly because it is a symptom i find very irritating, that i cannot stop.

S

Steve1981

Hello,

So I'm here. Not for my self, but my sister. I'm the oldest of 3 kids, and my younger sister who is 35 has been battling mental health issues. She's been diagnosed in the beginning with deep depression, then bipolar, then bipolar with psychosis... In 10 years, she's had 4 relapses, it has thrown her life upside down, she recovers, falls apart, recovers, etc.

I'm just here to learn and see if I can help her more than what we have done to date. As you all know, the health care system is crap, under vested in, and not the most helpful. We are in Canada, I find it difficult to get second opinions and support.

My sister seems to have unrealistic views of life. All she wants to do is listen to the same song all day. Doesn't say a word and spend hours and hours in the bathroom. This is when she falls apart. She takes her medication on time, everyday, but how she relapses every year or two years.

I'm not convinced we have the right diagnosis. When she is okay, she's able to work, do things, and is more social, but no where near to what a person should be able to do.
I understand your point of view that when she is well she still doesn't do as much as a normal person should do. But the symptoms she is facing are quite severe and it seems she is not coming to terms with them. Personally I feel that my best bet is to face the symptoms. Investigate them even if they are uncomfortable. She has to realize this for herself. I have realized that the reoccurance of psychosis is something which does extreme damage I am trying to recognise the symptoms and understand them so that I can stay functional. When she has the desire to listen to that same song and hide in the bathroom it could be because she doesn't want to face a strong symptom maybe she just can't face that symptom. I know that when anxiety arises for me taking a shower or going for a walk is something I can do. When it subsides a bit I can look at that anxiety. I know when I don't look symptoms tend to get worse. I hope something I have said resonates you are amazing for caring for your sister look after yourself too.