• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Hi - Intro

F

FlakeyDove

Hi

New on here. Main reason for joining is concern for a friend who is currently being held under Section 2.

have also lived with depression myself for the past 20 years or so. I'm relatively lucky in that I get reasonable results with medication. I can hold down my job and friends without finding the former all that fulfilling.

Sam

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Hi Sam, welcome to the forum. There's lot's of support here for you. Well done for holding down a job!

companion

companion

Founding Member
Hey Sam and :welcome:

As Dollit says it doesnt matter why you are here, because everyone is welcome as I have found.

I hope this doesnt sound really naive but is Section Two the twenty eight day section?

Hope to see you around the forum soon.

Take care

Companion :cool:

F

FlakeyDove

Thank you all. This seems a wonderful supportive community and it feels good to be here already.

I guess I am very lucky in my depression in that it is relatively mild (general uselessness) compared to what lot of people go through. It's also fairly amenable to drugs. I've been lucky with my employer as well, my current manager has been very supportive.

Yes Section 2 is the 28 day. We're 13 days in but my guess is they'll renew it or whatever it is they do. The whole thing is making my blood boil because there seems no accounting for individual patients' needs or situation. But I'll spare you because not sure there's any answer :(

companion

companion

Founding Member
I can imagine it is frustrating, but it may help you to share your feelings on here.

In my experience a lot of mental health services do not account for individual needs. The staff are generally trained to recognise, treat, and work with generic ideologies and theories. It is one of those issues that services are trying to resolve, but (as alwasys) a lack of money combined with staff resistance to change, prevents mental health services from moving on into the 21st century. The new mental health act, which comes into effect in October is very scary as it is more oppressive than before, so I do not know how this is going to move services and understand forward - towards a service that recognises individual needs. Sorry I am going on here.

Has you friend appealed the section? This is their right, but if you think that the section maybe extended then it could be possible that your friend is in the right place for now. I dont know of course and this is only a possibility.

Anyway, enough from me. I hope that you find your way around ok and if you need anything you only have to ask.

Take care Sam

Companion

F

FlakeyDove

Thanks companion...I've posted on another section about my friend (under Recovery..etc). It's a bit long but you'll get an idea why I'm a bit underwhelmed with the service my friend is getting.

The short version though is that she is elderly, has MS and has started to have falls. She has NO dementia at all but has lost confidence and is experiencing severe anxiety and depression. She's not really in any position to challenge the section and - if I'm honest - I don't think she'll win.

She is now on an elderly mental health ward with people who've been there long term (her biggest fear is incarceration). Many of the patients do appear to have some form of dementia and there has been at least one really upsetting incident with one of the staff. They have no understanding of her MS (a nurse told her yesterday that they were going to get a physio in to "sort that leg out". Frankly if they can do that they can have the Nobel Prize for medicine)

But thanks for your insight. The upshot is that I hope you're right and it is the best place for her - but at 2 weeks in I'm a bit unconvinced.

Believe-59

Believe-59

Welcome I to am new here and am very impressed with things here. Hope you find what your looking for as do I.

karen

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
sab Introduce Yourself 10
eastcoastoz Introduce Yourself 16
J Introduce Yourself 6
Ras Introduce Yourself 20
Allthecats Introduce Yourself 9