• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Hi- I'm very new :)

P

PiKa

I am a parent of a 21 year old who has a history of depression and anxiety. She is a college student that recently moved home. She has taken SSRI in the past with minimal problems. Due to anxiety her doctor started her on a low dose of buspar... just to give it a try. My daughter had an adverse reaction to buspar (in october)- quite severe and then because it was stopped cold turkey had bad withdrawal as well. She is still having residual effects and I guess my strength is waning because I am close to losing my temper with her! The symptoms she has- vertigo, blurred vision, headaches (those are getting better), face feeling hot to the point she uses ice packs, worsening anxiety and panic attacks (still occurs but fewer), panic around people or small rooms, anger, hostility (not better), irrational behavior, ADD-like symptoms.... I have found on talked about on forums from other people who experienced similar problems after taking buspar. What I can't find is how long it may last! She does have an appointment with a psychiatrist but the earliest we could get in is next month. She is aware of the symptoms, terrified she is going crazy... apologizes when not in the hostile mode... but it is exhausting for both of us. We just bought some vitamins recommended for people with extreme stress for her... but I may need them as well! I thought maybe by reading through the forums I could find tips on how I can best help... I'm sure that yelling at her to snap out of it is not the appropriate response! Any suggestions are welcome-

iffybob

iffybob

Sympathy

I can sympathise.......

sorry I dont know about "buspar", but....

Ok the basic with dealing with MH people.......

1. Try not to panic, I know this is your child but both of you in a stait is not helpfull to either of you.

2. If she is not a danger to you or others, but you consider her behavyour 'odd', you need to be watchful, mindful and not over baring, ie be concerned but not nagging, crowding her and asking things like what can I do all the time 'is' like yelling at a normal person, the reaction is freek.

3. Try and make sure of the basics, eat, sleep and hygene, that goes for both of you, maintain that, if nothing else it will make recovory easyer.

4. try and make sure you have at least basic communication, do not insist on manners or formality, things getting done is more important than how they are done. Accepting one word answers and head and hand gestures is ok, that is commuication and will help her not to get more frustrated.

5. She may have behavyour that is a coping mechanisem, if it is not harmful, consider accepting it, these normaly go when people start to feel better, and can act as an indicator to her staite, without her telling you.

These are just getting by pointers, the idea is to try to not make the situation worse, even if you cannot make it better.

I hope it helps........boB