• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Hi Im New

robbo

robbo

Founding Member
Just thought I would post an introductory message like eveyone else does,Im very shy really,I suffer from social anxiety disorder,have done all my life,Im over 40 now.When I was a kid whenever anyone visited our house I used to hide in the cupboard,kinda grew out of it a bit in my late teens but started becoming non social in my twenties again,I cant talk to strangers,even people I used to know years previously,I dont let them pin me down as the palpitations start.Because of this all the women I have ever known have left me,I lived like a hermit for years just working and going home,not speaking to anyone even over the xmas holidays.This last year it has got worse,Ive had to leave 3 jobs as I just couldnt do anything there cos of the pnic attacks,I did tell my doctor who gave me prozac 60mg a day to try and calm me.It dont seem to be working,have an appointment with her this afternoon see if she gives me summat else,cos I aint been working this last few month so hope she can sort summat or I might as well head for the railway track:( sure she will.It was really bad last month as my father died of cancer and I had to arrange the funeral,that was real bad especially going there,it took a lot for me to go there,im still shaking now,a month later!! but im glad I did go.
Anyway,anyone reads this thanks for letting me unburden myself,I really do feel better already!:)

M

Michael

Founding Member
what to do, well you seem to know for yourself a lot of it, it may help to be as honest with your doctor as you have been with us this afternoon, even taking a copy of the posting to her.
The internet can be great at times like this because we can choose when we want to talk and when to just sit back and read, sometimes you can pick things up to try just by doing that, sitting down and reading.
Shyness can be overcome and a good first step is what you have been doing on here, I see 26 postings so that means you can converse ok.

Let us know how you get on with the doctor, you experiences may even help a lot of other people on here as well!

Best Wishes

Michael

blackdog

blackdog

Founding Member
Keep talking to us, Robbo. I remember when I was a kid going to visit relatives and I couldn't get out of the car, so for about three hours I stayed curled up in the car, too anxious to get out. Sorry about your dad, you've done well to sort out the funeral and everything, I know how hard it can be. Hope your GP helps, take care. :)

R

rose

Founding Member
hi ,
first of all sorry for your loss , its never easy even if you dont have mh.
i handle my shyness it a total opposite way to how i feal by being out there and seaming really confident and talkative , but inside im thinking what if they can tell i have mh , or am i good enough to talk to,
anyhow stay with us and keep talking as just posting on here will help you overcome your shyness ,
take care and hope your gp sorts out some new meds
rose:flowers:

D

Dollit

Hi Robbo - hope all went well at the doctors, keep coming back!

robbo

robbo

Founding Member
hello there,just back from the doctors,it was a new doctor,she kept looking up in a book asking me questions then she gave me a prescription for diazepam and asked me4 to fill in a mood chart on the way out,said she will get back to me,so there ya go,I think she was just out of college!!!
maybe next week I will get my regular doc:(

D

Dollit

Doing in the mood chart is good and if she was asking questions and referring to the book it means that she was making sure that diazepam was the right medication for you at the moment. I'd say that was quite positive.

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Yup a mood chart is definitely a good idea robbo - which reminds me to go and fill mine in for the last few days :).

Nick.

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
I somethimes think that newer Drs can be more intersted in finding the right medication sometimes and bother to discuss side effects etc.. IMO of course :D

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Hello and :welcome: Robbo :)