• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

hi im new here

S

sampson1

I just wanted to let all who will hear that I am new here and just wanted to join a forum I could relate to. I am diagnosed as having a social anxiety disorder, I think this disorder also has depression and pscyzophrenia in it because I have been told I have that also. Well, I have had these disorders for some years now, I used to mask them a lot through a lot of alcohol consumption, well after a stint in rehab and lots of experiences in life I finally quit drinking. Only now my issues began to arise after the drinking was over with, you see all that time I was drinking I found out I was only masking these disorders I have and this was not good because as soon as I got off the alchohol a lot of symptoms started showing themselves and then I got professional help and ended up on medications. I used to avoid people a lot and if I did get told to do something while I was working I would usually handle this through lashing out at authority figures. I almost lost my job over constantly fighting with management. Eventually my job was kind enough to give me a disability retirement. I already was getting VA disability from when I was in the military and had an injury in which I broke my wrist and after that injury I had more issues, like my mental ones. Well, now that I am retired after a lot of years of working during my life I am enjoying the more simpler life now. I still avoid many social outings and people and would prefer to be at my home anyday over going out, but at least I am now more relaxed. I have wife and daughter who think I'm crazy and really don't understand the disorder I have, everything I do is wrong in thier eyes yet they fail to want to recognize that i really have a serious disorder and this is why I act a lot of times why I do. Oh well, just thought I would introduce myself and say "hi" to everyone and hope that you all have some encouragement for me and my problems i may go through in life still. I am now somewhat of a loner in that I really don't have friends I hang out with or anything like that. bye.:D

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Hello and :welcome: Sampson1 :) , hope you make some " cyber " friends here , we are a very friendly & supportive bunch :)

Yellowcoaching

Yellowcoaching

Founding Member
:welcome:

welcome to the forums and I hope you get the support you deserve!

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
:welcome: to the forum Sampson1.

You're quite right about how the alcohol masks other health issues,well done for quitting,that takes a lot of courage (y)

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Hi Sampson1 - well done for posting and welcome to the forum!

Aahbut

Aahbut

Hi Sampson1, welcome to the forums. I think far too much is made of people like you and me that like our own company. I've been like it since I was a kid, now 53 and I think it's a bit late to try and change it now. I started CBT with the a view (the psychologists) to get me out and to make me more social. The trouble was I was quite happy as I was so it just fizzled out. Depression does not make you sociable any way.

D

Dollit

Hi Sampson and welcome to the forum. Lot of people with lots of different issues here. Good to see you.