• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

hi im new here, any advice on post-natal depression?

M

messhead

heya i am greatful if ur reading this, i was wondering if anyone knows if i would be entitled to DLA, im not just spongeing as i was back at work full-time after i had my child and i could no longer stay in the kind of job as i couldnt look after myself never mind a 7month old and others. i thought i could until i went into complete meltdown.
anyway i'll stop giving u my lifetime story and hope to hear back from someone.
thanks

Lion Heart

Lion Heart

welcome to the forum messhead

sorry i do not have any advice for you but i wish you well :)

MadEmma

MadEmma

Hi,
DLA is paid on two tiers one mobility and the other for care. It is paid on medium and higher rates depending where you fit. Depending on how much you are in need of care and getting about will depend on whether you get the benefit. If you were still at work you should get sick pay whilst you are off and that is topped up by the goverment to the average living amount, not sure what that is. If you are not still connected with work you would get incapacity benefit if you have been paying your contributions from your wages for more than 2 years. That and child benefit, child tax credits. I dont know exactly if you would get DLA but hope that i have helped a bit with what you should be able to get.

MadEmma
xxxxxxxx

heya i am greatful if ur reading this, i was wondering if anyone knows if i would be entitled to DLA, im not just spongeing as i was back at work full-time after i had my child and i could no longer stay in the kind of job as i couldnt look after myself never mind a 7month old and others. i thought i could until i went into complete meltdown.
anyway i'll stop giving u my lifetime story and hope to hear back from someone.
thanks

M

messhead

thanks very much for ur help! :D
so wot other things do u talk about in this?
i am quite simple to be honest but i'll try and be of use to anyone i can!
thank you!!!
messhead xxxx

MadEmma

MadEmma

My experience of post natal depression

I am new too so not sure what everyone talks about really lol, I know I have had a good read of the posts on here and looks like we all help each other through the bad patches and share experiences.

I had post natal depression after I had my first baby. Things do get better. If you want to chat feel free to pm or chat on here. I was in a situation where i was on my own and it was really hard. I found things really hard to adjust to when my son arrived. It was like I had read loads about being a mum and felt him growing in my tummy but when he was here I was terrified, a lot like the responsibility of anothers life when I think people have enough on thier hands in life looking after themselves.

The change of life from me to us was a shock and the bonding process was hard. i had been through a messy time with the dad and he had been awful through my pregnancy, tried to hurt me and robbed my house, told social services i was a druggy to get him took away and everything. It seemed the issues and depression surrounded this thing growing insode me that I had chose to keep despite the situation with the dad and when i felt him kick it would feel like it was the dad part of him trying to hurt me too, and somethimes i used to think keeping him had ruined my life because it was part of him, that man who hurt me and had took everything from me including my friends and all i owned.

I was so scared when he was born that he would come in to the baby unit and take him away and i thought if he is determined to destroy my life and try and take my son off me then maybe if i dont get too close then I wont get hurt when he does get took off me or when he is 16 and decides dad is loads better option and leaves me on my own.

I sat crying for hrs with him next to me in the baby unit and felt like running away. This cute thing i loved so much but felt denied to enjoy, after all the hurt and emotional blackmail and losing all i felt was constant, friends, homes and belongings. It was really hard times.

I did breast feed my son though I felt a great closeness and bond that way and even though i did the actions of taking care of him and giving him cuddles and love. I felt there was a time, he would be took away like everything else, I was scared about his dad and the fact he could have rights to see him, the very thought of losing the one precious thing in my life left me living on a knives edge and depression set in and I didnt even want to get out of bed.

I sought some help from social services, big mistake they just try and put thier noses into your business and look for all the negatives and dont do anything. The best help I had was support from family and also making friends with someone else who was going through the same.

Hope that helps you understand about my story of post natal depression.