• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Hi - I need some advice...

B

bn48503

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum..

One of the reasons I joined this forum is that I often feel very anxious, sometimes to the point where my heart beats really fast, but I cant seem to internally find the trigger..
Some days I also would wake up with an overwhelming feeling of sadness, so I would just cry it out.. again, not knowing exactly why I feel that way..
Anyone has any advice for me to overcome this?
Thanks a lot in advance...

UpnDwn1978

UpnDwn1978

Forum Guide
Hi bn48503 welcome to the forum :welcome:

Anxiety can be caused by many different things like stress, trauma or mental illness. Waking up feeling very sad can be a sign of depression. Do you have a lack of energy and a feeling of hopelessness?

Many things can help combat anxiety, the most obvious being therapy and medical treatment, but there are a lot of other things one can do to combat it. Exercising is very good as are routines and a healthy sleep pattern and a healthy diet. Many people find that meditation and mindfulness helps. I personally used to meditate a lot and it was very effective to quell my anxiety for a while. Another way I find useful is to get your mind off things by getting your mind focused on something else, engaging in hobbies, watching a movie or even just doing housework. There are also many people on this forum that can give you advice and support. Take care and best wishes.

M

S

skan3915

BN48503 -- This is my first post here, and I won't waste too much of your time introducing myself other than to say I've been where you are.
It's been nearly 10 years since I was symptomatic. I had a rough week last week and was jolted by some bad news two days ago that made me remember the bad times.
I've decided to join this forum to try and help people.
Based on what you wrote, I believe you're dealing with anxiety (GAD).
To quote you -- not knowing exactly why I feel that way -- contributes to problems (IMO) because I think you're spending a lot to brainpower wondering what's going on, why me? why now? etc.
My best advice to you right now is to accept your condition. I'm going to guess you're confused by that.
ACCEPTANCE, or ACCEPT, is the key word in working toward recovery, IMO.
My tip to you is the following -- the next time anxiety washes over you, just accept that you have it and it's going to be there.
For example -- when anxiety hit me, I would say to myself "Here it is, I'm having a bad day, I'm going to feel rotten for a while, so ... Let it wash over me, Get on with the day, Don't fight it."
DON'T FIGHT IT is the same as ACCEPTANCE. It's easy for me to say, and won't be so easy for you to do, but it can be done.
And I can tell you from experience -- "Fighting It" will only make GAD worse.
Disclaimer(s)
1. ACCEPTANCE isn't going to entirely help someone with issues so severe that medication is required. It sounds as though you are in the early stages of GAD, so that's why I suggested it as advice.
2. I did go through counseling and took medication for several years to get better. That being said, I believe ACCEPTANCE is what really accelerated my recovery and has helped keep me asymptomatic for nearly a decade.
Good luck.

L

Light after Darkness

I hear you and I also used to suffer loads with anxiety, i found what worked best for me is to
breathe 4 seconds in and 8 to 12 seconds out. after 5-6 breathes like this i am usually much much calmer. I also say the phrase in my head 'you are not your thoughts' meaning that its ok whatever your thinking, it will come and go/ pass when you focus on positive things and things to be appreciative for. Think, you are born a winner by fighting with literally millions of other sperm along the way! somewhere along the line from then and now we may be exposed to things that bring us down but remember these simple facts: You are a winner, you are enough, its ok to feel down and tomorrow will be a brighter day!

A

alanr5682

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum..

One of the reasons I joined this forum is that I often feel very anxious, sometimes to the point where my heart beats really fast, but I cant seem to internally find the trigger..
Some days I also would wake up with an overwhelming feeling of sadness, so I would just cry it out.. again, not knowing exactly why I feel that way..
Anyone has any advice for me to overcome this?
Thanks a lot in advance...
Hello. Welcome to the forum.

I have experienced what you’ve described. I found on YouTube Tibetan meditational music videos. I lie down in a darkened room and lie still on the bed or floor. I take slow deep breaths then exhale slowly.

It helped me immensely a lot of the time.

All the best.

Allen.