• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Hi! I joined today... Recently diagnosed with BPD

S

Sarah2020

hi everyone!

I joined this forum today after recently being diagnosed with BPD. And years living with Debilitating clinical depression, anxiety, trauma and mood swings.

I hope to connect and learn more about how other community members are dealing with having BPD

I’m also a good listener and have been through hell due to my mental illness, so always open to talk to anyone who needs someone supportive

S

Sarah2020

hi ,welcome ,i have bpd too ,here to support and listen
i hope you will like it here ,Lu x
Thank you! I am still navigating my way through the diagnosis. BPD was such an unexpected bombshell. I was in denial at first. But now I see I fit most of the diagnostic criteria and it explains lifetime of mood swings and apathy experienced outside of my clinical depression periods. It’s full on. Thank you for reaching out! hope to talk more about your experience with BPD in later chats.

clinical depression was a clearer and easier to accept diagnosis.

when were you diagnosed? Is yours under control or stable at the moment?

Sarah :)

N

Nukelavee

I was first diagnosed with BPD when I was 30, 20 years ago, along with depression. I was totally mislead by the "Borderline" part. I figured that meant it was a minor thing.

Needless to say, that led to a breakdown a few years later because I knew nothing about BPD, just that I was losing my mind.

Then I read an interview with a woman with BPD, and I was like "WTF?!?!?! Why didn't people tell me this was serious!". "Luckily", I'm one of those people with BPD who don't take it out on people around them, I aim my anger at myself, mostly.

That was 6 years ago, and since I actually read up on BPD, I've done really well getting control back. Still have things to work on, or push further, but I'm miles ahead of where I was.

anex

anex

Welcome, Sarah! Nice to meet you:)

trueloveseeker

trueloveseeker

There are many videos on youtube about BPD and even from places such as Yale University. There are also many excellent books on the topic. Perhaps education is the most rewarding feeling and has the potential to really make a difference in life. Communication skills, relationship skills, and learning about emotional intelligence are all areas of knowledge that have enriched my life in a helpful way. Happiness is always something to look forwards to, and looking forward to learning is possible to feel always.

S

Sarah2020

I was first diagnosed with BPD when I was 30, 20 years ago, along with depression. I was totally mislead by the "Borderline" part. I figured that meant it was a minor thing.

Needless to say, that led to a breakdown a few years later because I knew nothing about BPD, just that I was losing my mind.

Then I read an interview with a woman with BPD, and I was like "WTF?!?!?! Why didn't people tell me this was serious!". "Luckily", I'm one of those people with BPD who don't take it out on people around them, I aim my anger at myself, mostly.

That was 6 years ago, and since I actually read up on BPD, I've done really well getting control back. Still have things to work on, or push further, but I'm miles ahead of where I was.

Thank you for sharing Nukelavee,

It sounds like the therapist who diagnosed didn’t follow through with more information about BPD and options for treatments.

I was opposite to you when I was diagnosed I was in denial and found it a major insult. You know “I’m not borderline, I’m not that type of person”, I couldn’t reconcile that all those gaps, months between my major clinical depression episodes when I felt apathy, suicidal and had mood swings - I categorically fell into the criteria for BPD. For me I couldn’t accept it. For one I don’t fit two main criteria: fear of abandonment or inability to maintain relationships. I don’t fear abandonment and when I am with the right person I am happy in my relationships. While I looked closer and realised I was over sensitive and emotional, clearly more then everyone around me and that I had allowed this emotional reactivity to respond inappropriately at times, when I needed to cool down and talk something out in a cool and calm or neutral tone, of course still reflecting my heightened emotional intelligence and why a passive aggressive liar has crossed a line,rather then respond with a snap straight shooter approach in have learned to remain calm however still convey the valid emotional content. The BPD is just a toddler, an emotional state we can grown out of and be in control of once aware off the condition.

it sounds like you have been through psychological hell, ups and downs with BPD as well. I have spent my life like this but always just labelled it depression or an apathy linked to depression, I had no idea I was BPD.

im going to focus on treatment and turning my life around. I still have days where I feel like I don’t want to live, but I am not suicidal as I have been in the past.

it’s great to connect! I have never talked about this with anyone,

Sarah :)

S

Sarah2020

Welcome, Sarah! Nice to meet you:)
Hi Anex,

thank you for making new comers feel welcome! Lovely to meet you too! How are you feeling today and going overall with your treatment?

sarah