Hi, help me understand.

M

Mominpain

My son is in the hospital for a second time, this time he claims to hear horrible voices. He is on suicide watch. My heart is broken. He's 21, been a really good kind person, helps other people, outgoing, sociable. He is suffering right now, not responding to treatment. Will he get better? Will he have permanent damage? What's going on? Will I have to live watching him 24/7? I'm dying inside.

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
Lots of people get better with support. is it medication he is not responding to? There are loads of different ones so hopefully the doctors get him on some that work for him.

B

Beaniexx84

I have a close friend who was like this several months back.. can I ask you a personal question is your son using any kinda drugs?? My friend was smoking spice around the same time. He spent about a month inside a secure psychiatric ward and now like a different person!! And my dad was very much the same many moons ago and he doing really well since! So be strong and wish you all the best of luck!!

RookieatBest

RookieatBest

What is your son diagnosis? What changed in his life? What caused him and developed the hearing voices?

Hearing voices is a terrible experience. Especially when you never have. Only voices you're used to hearing is your own inner voice and people speaking to you verbally.

I'm really sorry you and him are going through this. I wish I was there to help. Don't give up on him or yourself. Don't be against him because it's not his fault completely.

He needs to not let the voices tell him what to do no matter how strong the voices demand. He needs to do what's is right for him.

Tell him don't kill himself or do anything negative because that's what they want. Tell him to continue to be that good person. Tell him to be strong and fight because he needs to. Tell him don't let these voices break him any further because there lies! Tell him to know what's true and what is a lie.

Staying positive, active, praying, and in control will help him cope with the voices. Will they go away? Maybe meaning yes or no.

You son will get better if he chooses to. No permanent damage only temporary problem in his life depending on how he chooses to live with it. You checking up on him will have to be done for some time since this change is all new to yall.

Is your son stable enough to listen and read?
Here's an article on hearing voices. It's for your son to read and you to read as well. You can write some of the coping strategies down and read to him how to deal with them when you visit him you. Here's the article↓

Managing voices | Mind, the mental health charity - help for mental health problems

Here's another article about the difference between mental health and mental illnesses↓

What’s the difference between mental health and mental illness?

Our mental health is like any other health conditions throughout the body. The illnesses gets better over time or the illnesses gets worse over time. It's up to us to decide whether or not we want to get better or get worse.

Tell him to try to respond positive to the negative voices. Don't give in even though the urge is strong. The voices is just like dealing with real people who are very negative towards you. Tell him to deal with his auditory hallucinations just like he would deal with real negative people.

I hope all goes well with your son and you. This is new territory that he can get through just like he has with any other road blocks in his life. This shall pass. GL GB BS!

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

Hello and welcome to the forums. I'm sorry to know that your son is suffering. He's being looked after by the doctors and sometimes, it requires considerable time to determine a diagnosis or to find a treatment his symptoms respond to.

I understand how anxious you must feel, you need answers to what's going on, you want to know what his care will be like going forward. Those answers will come. For right now, what do you require in order to continue functioning as a mother and a person? Is anyone looking after you, do you have someone to talk to about your anxious thoughts?

Are you able to manage your self-cares - eating and sleeping? Let us know how we can support you so that you're better able to support your wonderful son.

Hopeful313

Hopeful313

I hope your son gets better soon. He’s in a safer place and he can make it with your support and positivity.

M

Mominpain

Lots of people get better with support. is it medication he is not responding to? There are loads of different ones so hopefully the doctors get him on some that work for him.
He finally is better and back home. I couldn't sleep well thinking of his future, but he has a good disposition so far. Thanks for your response. This forum is really helping me cope and help him as well. thanks

M

Mominpain

I have a close friend who was like this several months back.. can I ask you a personal question is your son using any kinda drugs?? My friend was smoking spice around the same time. He spent about a month inside a secure psychiatric ward and now like a different person!! And my dad was very much the same many moons ago and he doing really well since! So be strong and wish you all the best of luck!!
He did smoke some pot. I thought maybe they gave him that synthetic stuff, but nonetheless the doctors say the THC woke up something that was going to happen anyway. He finally responded well and very quickly to a new med, and he is home since yesterday. He has a good disposition. Still, I'm sad and scared for him. He was diagnosed with schizophrenia. I'm glad I found this forum. It's incredibly helpful. Thanks so much.

Hopeful313

Hopeful313

He finally is better and back home. I couldn't sleep well thinking of his future, but he has a good disposition so far. Thanks for your response. This forum is really helping me cope and help him as well. thanks
Great news, really.
Nice to have your son back home. Time for you to get some rest and sleep 🙂

Wishing you and your family the best

M

Mominpain

Hello and welcome to the forums. I'm sorry to know that your son is suffering. He's being looked after by the doctors and sometimes, it requires considerable time to determine a diagnosis or to find a treatment his symptoms respond to.

I understand how anxious you must feel, you need answers to what's going on, you want to know what his care will be like going forward. Those answers will come. For right now, what do you require in order to continue functioning as a mother and a person? Is anyone looking after you, do you have someone to talk to about your anxious thoughts?

Are you able to manage your self-cares - eating and sleeping? Let us know how we can support you so that you're better able to support your wonderful son.
Thanks so much. I have my daughter living also with me. She is 28, and a very strong young woman. I do have a lot of friends and they have been there for me all weekend long. I do have to say this forum is really helping me. Thanks so much. You are all doing great work. I will get some therapy myself soon. Again, Thanks.

M

Mominpain

What is your son diagnosis? What changed in his life? What caused him and developed the hearing voices?

Hearing voices is a terrible experience. Especially when you never have. Only voices you're used to hearing is your own inner voice and people speaking to you verbally.

I'm really sorry you and him are going through this. I wish I was there to help. Don't give up on him or yourself. Don't be against him because it's not his fault completely.

He needs to not let the voices tell him what to do no matter how strong the voices demand. He needs to do what's is right for him.

Tell him don't kill himself or do anything negative because that's what they want. Tell him to continue to be that good person. Tell him to be strong and fight because he needs to. Tell him don't let these voices break him any further because there lies! Tell him to know what's true and what is a lie.

Staying positive, active, praying, and in control will help him cope with the voices. Will they go away? Maybe meaning yes or no.

You son will get better if he chooses to. No permanent damage only temporary problem in his life depending on how he chooses to live with it. You checking up on him will have to be done for some time since this change is all new to yall.

Is your son stable enough to listen and read?
Here's an article on hearing voices. It's for your son to read and you to read as well. You can write some of the coping strategies down and read to him how to deal with them when you visit him you. Here's the article↓

Managing voices | Mind, the mental health charity - help for mental health problems

Here's another article about the difference between mental health and mental illnesses↓

What’s the difference between mental health and mental illness?

Our mental health is like any other health conditions throughout the body. The illnesses gets better over time or the illnesses gets worse over time. It's up to us to decide whether or not we want to get better or get worse.

Tell him to try to respond positive to the negative voices. Don't give in even though the urge is strong. The voices is just like dealing with real people who are very negative towards you. Tell him to deal with his auditory hallucinations just like he would deal with real negative people.

I hope all goes well with your son and you. This is new territory that he can get through just like he has with any other road blocks in his life. This shall pass. GL GB BS!
Thanks so much! He's back home now. They found a medicine that worked. I'm still very worried for him, but so glad to have found this forum. It is great support. Thanks. I'll be reading everything and will try for him to read as well. Thanks again.

RookieatBest

RookieatBest

You are welcome!

Thanks for the update and I'm glad your son is at home, responding to medicine well, and has a good disposition. That's awesome!

Yes reading those articles (when you have the time) will help you and your son on how to manage with a mental illness.

Also check out this article on schizophrenia when you have the time:

Schizophrenia | Mind, the mental health charity - help for mental health problems

GL GB BS!