• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Hi gang!

carpediem

carpediem

Founding Member
I have never joined a forum...I guess you can teach old dogs new tricks..I I am a happy teacher with grown kids and a great husband and a Jack Russell terrier. I have had mental health issues for most of my adult life and have 'done it all' to deal with it. I am bipolar as was my mother, though I don't have huge swings that she did, and I am basically doing very well now. I had a major 'breakdown' as they called it in the old days..and developed the bipolar symptoms following that.
I joined the forum because I need advice from real people who know the reality of this life. Is there any way to get off meds? Now, at my age (58) I'm starting to have all kinds of digestive issues and I am really would like to get off the antidepressants.Also, insomnia is a big problem for me, and if I go off my pills, even for a day, I can sleep like the dead. I honestly believe I can cope with life now. without the pills.I have few pressures or worries, I am financially stable, and I have a lot of good friends and a supportive family. I know what my doc will say...that's just the way it is..like a diabetic has to take insulin...Is this really the way it has to be?:confused:

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Hi carpediem and welcome:welcome:

Im a similar age to yourself and bipolar so can understand where your coming from. I keep asking to come off the meds but as yet they just tell me to keep taking them. I suppose the only thing you can do is keep pushing the psych to reduce them to see how you cope.

D

Dollit

Hi Carpediem, I'm 49 and bipolar all my life - diagnosable at 16 and not diagnosed until I was 36. I'm still on the meds but had a trial off them a few years ago. I talked it over with my psych, my GP and all members of my support team and then it was a planned break. I have a great psych & GP and I can email them or ring them when I need to between visits. I lasted 3 weeks before I had to go back on meds. I hate them. I have rebellious days where I refuse to take the stuff, I have days where I forget to but I know I'm better off with them. I have quite severe bipolar and use a mood stabiliser (lithium) rather than an anti-depressant and it's thought that anti-depressants actually make the highs higher. I'm glad you're here, we do okay here with support and encouragement, it's a good place to be. :welcome:

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Hey there Carpediem, to be honest meds can stabilise, but if during your illness there has been no potential risk to yourself or others, then you should be able to request supervised lowering and potentially withdrawal of meds. This would need to be with the agreement of you partner and for him to be briefed to know exactly what to look for re: relapse. As well as this it would be advisable for constant (perhaps weekly) contact with your services. They may well be reluctant to follow this course, but you have to press your rights here if you want to give it a go; they have a duty of care toward you whatever course you decide, allowing you to try this alone breaches that duty of care. However, after all is said and done you have to also prepare for the worst case scenario which is that your health deteriorates to a point at which while no one is in endanger, your quality of life, in the shape of relapse, is becoming significantly worse.

In this situation you'll probably have to go back onto meds, but hey, if you never give it a try you'll never know. Worst case scenario you have a crazy two weeks, then you end up back where you are now i.e. on the meds.

Oh and welcome ;)

carpediem

carpediem

Founding Member
WOW!

How nice of you people to reply..and with such honest and encouraging answers..I'll be back...:D

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Hello and :welcome:

Hope which ever direction you take is a positive one for you :)