• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Hi everyone

manicmama79

manicmama79

I'm new to this..I guess I joined in March but have never actually used it. Anyways, I am supposedly BP; I haven't seen any kind of mental health dr for over a year but I know I should. I moved from Chicago to Ohio to be with my fiance and never got a dr out here but really need to b/c lately I have been unable to even function, barely eating or doing anything around the house, just being extremely moody and not wanting to do anything; basically hating my life and everyone else.

In Chicago I saw a psychiatrist who told me I am BP after learning about my life, symptoms and family history. I was on Lamictal and Prozac for a while and then unfortunately my insurance wouldn't cover Lamictal so I have only been on Prozac. It's very strange because over the last year I have not really been manic at all..I have had pretty much suffered with severe depressive episodes. I am however on a medication called Topamax for migraine headaches, which is actually for epilepsy and can sometimes be used to control mania. Is anyone familiar with it? I used to abuse drugs and alcohol a lot when I had mania and also had a lot of hypersexuality. I never do any of that anymore :D but I don't really want to do anything :(

Well sorry for rambling but I'm glad to be hear..its nice to find people that actually understand. I am going to school for Psychology so people understand it by "the book" but that is much different. Hopefully I can get my butt in gear to actually make an appt with a dr like I should!

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Hi and :welcome: to the Forum.

I had not heard of Topamax (Topiramate) but perhaps it may usually be found in the US rather than UK. However other anticonvulsant drugs are used here as mood stabilisers, such as Sodium Valproate (which I am on) so it is not an uncommon form of medication.

Nick.

E

Eagle58

Hello nickh and welcome (from another brand-new member!). I've found a website from the manufacturers of Topamaz, which contains info on its use for migraines and epilepsy. You might want to check it out; it's at http://www.janssen-cilag.co.uk/landing/index.jhtml?product=topamax

I've also been experiencing some fairly horrible dark days recently, and can relate to the experiences you're describing. It's always difficult making a decision about seeing a doctor, and I guess it's factored on your previous experiences, quality of the service provided, and possibly cost. My personal view is that nothing is lost by seeing a medic, and possibly something important or useful might be gained. Although I can't claim to be 'getting better' at the moment, I am receiving a lot of support from the mental health services, all of which was made available by me local doctor (GP in the UK).

I wish you well in your psychology studies; there any many different perspectives and models of mental health, I have found over the years, and it's sometimes helpful to consider things from a variety of perspectives - for myself, I think that drug use when I was younger has contributed to where I am now, but so probably has a whole variety of other factors (which I won't bore you with now!).

All the very best, and welcome again.

Eagle58
:welcome:

manicmama79

manicmama79

Thanks! Welcome to you also. I am going to make myself go see a dr and get treatment. Some days I feel great but other days are horrible and it's hard to even deal with people, go to school, and take care of my daughter. I am glad to be here with people that understand...:)

S

Soren

hi manicmama, i'm new to the forum too.

i know what you mean about hating life and everyone else too. i can't think of anyone i haven't despised at some time or other, and usually i just hate everybody, and then i wonder why people get so annoyed with me about it, and then take that as evidence that everyone is basically ****! ha ha.

why does it have to be so hard to stop hating everyone?!

anyway, glad its not just me! :)

take care! soren.

Lion Heart

Lion Heart

hi manicmama79,are you ok ? what you been up too ?

manicmama79

manicmama79

Hi all

Well I'm doing okay. I have actually been feeling better these days..getting in gear to start back to school and I am looking forward to it though it will be stressful. Since I'm studying Mental Health, it's very exciting to me. It is even hard to get myself on here to chat with people sometimes...but I'm really glad people are sending me messages, thanks :)

Lion Heart

Lion Heart

thats great news,keep up the good work :)

i hope you do well in school & get what your after

Onlymebud

Onlymebud

:welcome: Hi hope all is well, took me a while to find you but better late than never i guess :LOL: (y)