• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Hi Everyone

S

SFChristianGirl86

Hi.

I'm JJ.

I'm dealing with a severe dental anxiety and dental phobia.

Just looking to find some support.

JJ

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

hi and welcome ,i do not really fear the dentist but i have not been for 20 years or more
would you be able to say what causes anxiety over the dentist?
i really hope you find this place useful x Lu x

S

SFChristianGirl86

hi and welcome ,i do not really fear the dentist but i have not been for 20 years or more
would you be able to say what causes anxiety over the dentist?
i really hope you find this place useful x Lu x

Thank you all for the welcome.

My anxiety and phobia about the dentist started from bad experiences at the dentist as a child. The doctors were mean and didn't numb up my teeth well enough when working on me.

I've also had bad experiences with the dentist as an adult. It took me awhile but I finally found a dentist I like and have been seeing him for 6 years now. It's still hard for me to trust him and other dental professionals.

I had a double jaw surgery in 2014 to correct a birth defect of over bite, under bite and cross bite. In preparation for this I had all 4 wisdom teeth and 4 others extracted under IV sedation. I also wore adult braces before, during and after the surgery for 2 1/2 years.

I was diagnosed recently with an auto immune disorder called External Tooth Root Resorption. It is very rare and aggressive. Over the last 10 years I've had 18 root canal treatments and we are just finding out now that this disease is the cause. I just had one tooth extracted due to this disease and may need full mouth extractions soon. The disease attacks my teeth, gums, mouth and can affect the jaw if left untreated.

They say that this disease is genetic and lays dormant, but had to be triggered by physical trauma. We are thinking the jaw surgery and/or the braces led to it's activation.

JJ

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

That is terrible, what you have been through. It is understandable, why you have anxiety and phobia.