Hi everyone! Any medical students/doctors here?

Midnight.Panda

Midnight.Panda

Hi everyone!

I am 20-years-old, and I am half way through medical school (and I am the most stupid medical student there is so don't ask for any advice from me haha)

I am really excited to be here and getting to know some of you guys. I think it was about time I joined something like this. It's just nice to know I can post about my feelings and thoughts without feeling like it's "risky" or where the stigma is obvious like on social media.

I was just wondering if there are other medical students or healthcare professionals here? Some of the issues I am facing are due to being a medical student, and I guess it'd be nice to meet others like me. For example, I am scared of opening up about my feelings because of possible professional repercussions.

Anyways, I am a weird and dorky person who sucks at human interaction and only likes food and the internet. I am a huge fan of anime, though I haven't actually watched all that much. I am also very queer :cool:

Don't be scared to come and talk to me :) Hope you all have a good day!

Last edited by a moderator:
Foxjo

Foxjo

Forum Safety Team
Hi and welcome to the forum! :welcome:
You should find it friendly and supportive here.
Not sure if any members will open up to being in the medical profession to be honest.
Good to have you onboard, have a look around and join in when you feel able.
Hugs
Fox

Cazcat

Cazcat

Staff Member on Leave
Hello and welcome to the forum,

I'm a HCP (Not a medic) and have been for many years now. I am pretty open about my mental health problems (anxiety, depression and PTSD) at work and find my team very supportive. To be honest I would say 50% of my team (and students) have experienced mental health problems at one point or another and that's just the ones I know about. My Trust has excellent support for staff through occupational health offering unlimited free counceling and access to a psychologist. Managers vary in how supportive they are, I am lucky mine are amazing (and have experience working in mental health) one of my friends has had a difficult time with hers who has not been so supportive (so is leaving for another job).

Midnight.Panda

Midnight.Panda

Hi and welcome to the forum! :welcome:
You should find it friendly and supportive here.
Not sure if any members will open up to being in the medical profession to be honest.
Good to have you onboard, have a look around and join in when you feel able.
Hugs
Fox
Thanks Fox! And yeah, I didn't think there'd be many medics opening up about their mental health. But I'd be happy to start those kinds of discussions here because I am sure there are other medical students in the same spot as me. I've always been open about my struggles, so I am glad I am here :)

Hello and welcome to the forum,

I'm a HCP (Not a medic) and have been for many years now. I am pretty open about my mental health problems (anxiety, depression and PTSD) at work and find my team very supportive. To be honest I would say 50% of my team (and students) have experienced mental health problems at one point or another and that's just the ones I know about. My Trust has excellent support for staff through occupational health offering unlimited free counceling and access to a psychologist. Managers vary in how supportive they are, I am lucky mine are amazing (and have experience working in mental health) one of my friends has had a difficult time with hers who has not been so supportive (so is leaving for another job).
Thanks for getting back to me, Cazcat! From what I've heard from other people, it does seem that most of the support is from other staff. I hope that, wherever I end up in the future, I'll be in an environment which supports my mental health problems. I'll probably make a post sometime about burnout and whatnot.

Cazcat

Cazcat

Staff Member on Leave
I would say that the most important thing you can do is to identify your early warning signs and coping strategies to help you avoid reaching burn out. I don't always achieve this, but am getting better at it. I also have a large ammoun t of out of work stress at times which is generally the biggest factor for me. I also know I've seen a mental health telephone service for Drs regarding stress, advertised at some point, that might be useful if it still exists.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
EmotionalPerplexity Introduce Yourself 5
G Introduce Yourself 2
R Introduce Yourself 6
S Introduce Yourself 12
F Introduce Yourself 8