• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Hi Everybody

D

Dollit

Hi guys

I'm bipolar, diagnosable at 16 but not diagnosed until 34 due to excessive drinking etc, etc. I worked up until 7 years ago and I'm not likely to return to any meaningful work or be able to support myself financially again. This is a big pain because I love work. However I do some work with my local police and fire service and get to work on some pretty worthwhile stuff.

I'm not going to go into the who shebang but it was very hard getting to the place I am today. For anyone just diagnosed as whatever just keep on putting one foot in front of the other and sooner or later you'll find you've come a long way.

xx :tea:

mischief

mischief

Admin
Welcome Dollit :welcome:

However I do some work with my local police and fire service and get to work on some pretty worthwhile stuff.
What sort of things do you do for them? Sounds interesting!

For anyone just diagnosed as whatever just keep on putting one foot in front of the other and sooner or later you'll find you've come a long way.
I like your advice! :clap:

D

Dollit

With the police I'm what's known as a 'contact'. Basically, in my case at least, I'm their expert resident. I supply intelligence, impartial reporting of ASB, there is a huge amount of support on both sides (the ones I work with all know I'm bipolar and it's like 'so what?') and I get to write reports and supportive evidence on community issues. With the fire service I liaise between them and the police where I can, currently we're establishing strong links with local kids and reducing ASB in areas that we're working in together. It's hard work but fun and takes up just as much time as I want it to. Voluntary work doesn't have to be dull and uninteresting, it can make huge differences! I'm really proud of what I do and I love the people I get to work with.;)

Last edited:
Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Hi Dollit, welcome to the boards!!! I'm fairly new here too having joined only a few days ago. I look forward to chatting in more depths over the coming weeks, months and tears :)

:welcome:

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Hi Dollit, welcome to the boards!!! I'm fairly new here too having joined only a few days ago. I look forward to chatting in more depths over the coming weeks, months and tears :)

Just realised I made a serious Freudian typo...should say...weeks, months and years :eek:

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Hello and :welcome:

Glad you enjoy your voluntry work .......... i used to do loads for the scouting sector.

Like your advice ............. just wish i could keep putting one foot in front of the other :unsure:

D

Dollit

Keep trying Fedup! It's totally allowed to rest by the side of the road now and then, just don't lose your nerve when it's time to start moving again. I see your from the North East - I was born in the NE and moved down here in '86. I miss home though. :)

E

Eng65

Founding Member
I do Buddying for Mind. I see you have had problems with Alcohol, and for sometime. Big problem todays youngsters. I had a BIG problem with it, I should not be here. Anyway i will be posting about my journey into Detox, Rehab later amonst other things that i am going to post on. Oh as well i did make a film about my struggle with the Demon, it's called 98% Proof.
It is shown in Rehabs across London.

Regards,
Eng65

A

april

Founding Member
Dollit

Hi and :welcome: Dollit

D

Dollit

Thanks Eng & April. It's lovely to have such a warm welcome here. I've been a little busy with some of my voluntary work (even over Christmas!) but I'll start some threads soon. One of which will be about some work I do with and educationalist/GP which is very exciting and very relevant. Thanks again to you all! x ;)

mischief

mischief

Admin
I'll start some threads soon. One of which will be about some work I do with and educationalist/GP which is very exciting and very relevant. Thanks again to you all! x ;)
Looking forward to hearing more about this! Sounds most interesting! (y)

E

Eng65

Founding Member
What does a buddy do for Mind? Is it just a local scheme?
Mind Home

National Mental Health Charity, contact them and ask to included this site if you like. They put a link to my site for me.

Being a Buddy being a friend helper etc

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Hi dollit and welcome to the boards. These boards havnt been open long, but they seem to be getting a good few joining.

Your voluntary work sounds really interesting. I keep thinking about it but dont know if i would be reliable enough.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Introduce Yourself 12
T Introduce Yourself 6
A Introduce Yourself 1
C Introduce Yourself 5
B Introduce Yourself 3