• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

hi every just looking for advice!

X

xxbeckyxx

Didn't know this forumn existed until last night! Was looking for info about psychotic depression!

My brothers been sectioned 2 and now 3 hes 24yrs old and had adhd as a kid smokd abit of weed when younger,my mum and dad divorced,he was sent to a boarding school with kids that also had adhd so hes had a rough few years hes gf lost their baby,he hasn't had a job for a while and my grandad was on life support 6wks ago and the plug was almost pulled on him!

This was all to much as my grandad battled cancer begiinning of the year and came thru then had an opto reverse a poo-bag lol and it went wrong!

I myself hav 5 kids and have been there for him but hes been sectioned now over 2mths now in a secure hospital when it went to sec 3 they moved him! my mums hes nearest relative but shes not coping now depressed and not sleeping feeling guilty for getting my brother help which resulted in him being sectioned!

Hes been home over xmas 2 nights and gonna find out if he can out again for new yars eve today? hes on drugs ovouisly and doesn't want to be in hospital but does except it and knows hes been unwell! Id say hes 95 per cent better but gotta go meeting in jan to hopefully bring hes release date forward! Any help advice would be great as my support and info has been from the internet so far... thanks Beckyx

X

xxbeckyxx

anyone

Has anyone been thru this kinda thing? its been awful watching him so ill! Thanks becky x:cry:

iffybob

iffybob

Hi

No I dont sorry, it sounds like a bad situation.

He may be ok on the meds ( drugs) will he stay on them if out ?.

You could call MIND if you get no answers here.......

Take care, and be careful , you and yours have to be safe first .....

........ boB

X

xxbeckyxx

thanks

Its been awful hes had voices,seen shadows,parinoia thinking people are gonna kill him!

Found a leaflet last night online for siblings and pyschotic ect.. so that helped alot.. i have visited him hes not dangerous to me but did get angry once and has escaped lol twice which he didn't get far cuz he was too confused!

Hes doing better but i just wantd to know if this was gonna be a one off or something hes gonna have to deal with for forever!

yEAH he s on meds and out only on a section 17 basically has to go back! Thanks for responding i have seen worse patients in the hospital that do return home so iknow he has some hope! Tc all thanks again x becky:unsure:

H

Hopeful spirit

Hi Becky

I can really understand what you are going through with regards to your brother. My son, age 19, is sectioned, he's been in hospital for 18 months and suffers the most daunting episodes of psychosis. He believes people are out to 'get him' and we often receive frantic phone calls from him when he's distressed. He also believes people are going into his room during the night and injecting him with chemicals. He's also escaped 3 times. It breaks my heart to see his pain. It's very hard knowing he's going through all this, and I do try to reassure him but he blames me for putting him 'there' in the first place so he sees me as the enemy.
Please tell your mum not to feel guilty. It's not her fault and she did what any other mother would do. I had to do the same. Over the past 2 years I've had the immense privilidge of getting to know other inpatients and they all tell me that at some point they blamed their nearest for their situation.
One thing that helps me Becky is to realise it's the illness speaking when my son lashes out and not him.

take care,
A loving mumx
ps. what an amazing sister you are, bless you

P

pinkmetalgirl

Hi Becky (and all)

I'm afraid I can only post a little as I need to get back to my essay (damn work avoidance), but wanted to reply

I'm sorry you, your brother and your family are going through such a difficult time. Intense psychosis is difficult for everyone - the person going through it and those who care about them. I've been on both sides of it (the person being supported and the person doing the supporting), so i know how scary it is.

Psychosis often comes after difficult periods in people's life (and it sounds like your brother had quite a few of those things). Even tho it can seem really bleak and feel as if it's always going to be this bad - it doesn't have to be. I was a 'hopeless case' on a section and spent years in hospital feeling really lost. My parents and sisters really thoughts they'd lost me and that I'd never recover.

Check out some of the stuff of Ron Coleman, Mike Smith, Pete Bullimore and Rufus May who talk lots about recovery and getting through psychotic crises.

As for whether it's a one off or something that he will battle with in the future - I don't know. Some people have one off psychotic breaks when they're really stressed out, other people (like me) have a tendency to experience psychosis a bit more often. If your brother is in the second category he can still find ways of dealing with it.

The first step is to get through this crisis though. Is your brother in touch with an advocate? You and your mum can get some carers support too (you should be able to find out your local carers org from the ward your brother's on, or by looking it up on the net). Get as much support as you can - it's really exhausting worrying about someone you love.

Ooops. that ended up longer than I imagined. Hope it's helpful.

x PMG

G

gettinit2gether

shit luv!!!!

hey becky,
sorry 2 hear everything is going this way 4 u m8!!!
im only new to this site!!(joined last nite)
but i have been hospitalised 4 10yrs on & off.
my ex husband has paranoid shziophrenia and lives in supported accom.
the only advise i have 4 u sweetie is keep on keeping on!!
when ur bro gets discharged make sure he takes his meds!!
my problem was i kept going off my meds & self medicating!!!
if with 5 kids u cant monitor him maybe see if u can get a court order 4 him 2 stick 2 his meds???
Im clearly no professional & im from australia so things r probably very different.
GOOD LUCK M8!!!!!!!!!
GOOD LUCK 2 ur brother 2!!!!!!!
GOOD LUCK with ur kids 2!!
xxxx:grouphug:

X

xxbeckyxx

hi everyone

Thanks for your posts and helpful info much apreciated!

Things have looked up since i last posted my brother has had some home leave section 17 he came over xmas day and new years eve and after a great meeting with the doctors he was released for a week!

So hes doing really well at the minute hes on meds still but hopefully a release date might get put forward, i read hes assesment and was deeply saddened by my brothers illness and hes thoughts and behaviours but since the 18th december hes slowly got back to the way he used to be.

He tried to drown himself, saw shadows dark angels, smelled unusual smells,thought bugs were crawling on him staff were talking about him plotting against hes family he has been in a scary place and it has felt like ive lost him like a death almost! attacked staff not nice x mostly out of confusing!

The hard thing know hes dealing with is being at home with hes family and having to return to the hospital ... Ive stood by him from day one and still by himself and have been to meetings and visited loads so fingers crossed he comes home now and rebuilds hes life again.

Thanks becky x

iffybob

iffybob

Hi

Good luck, I hope he does better .... take care ... boB ... :flowers:

X

xxbeckyxx

thanks

this forum has been great and people have been so freindly and so willing with advice, havent had that much advice from the hospital lol although they have done a great job for my brother.

We just didn't know the scale of what we were dealing with until finding this forum and info about psycosis.

Plus its not something you chat about everyday is it when you go and buy your paper lol at the shops.. tc all and hope evryone has a good new year