• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Hi, do I actually have a problem?

G

gnim452

I discovered this forum by chance an was hoping to get more avenues of help if possible.

I have been having these.. "negative" or not wanting to go (be it work or school) thoughts in the mornings. It has been occurring frequently since i was about 14. Then there was this while when i kept getting MCs (medical certificates ) to avoid the problem.

When i turned 15, there was a period time where it was very horrible. The night before the next day, i was already feeling so negative. Once i broke down and that was when my parents decided to bring me see a psychiatrist. The first one somehow doesn't meet my needs ( ie: not enough connection; seemed to be in his own world ) so we changed to another psychiatrist. (as usual, life goes on and i started to have suicidal thoughts. I was diagnosed with "slight depression". I was put on lexapro for about half a year.

Lexapro did seem to help a little in elevating my mood however, the root of the problem was still not determined. Then, i went seeing another psychologist on the psychiatrist's recommendation.

The psychologist and I clicked very well. I could understand everything she was explaining to me. But still, the root of the problem remains a mystery.

It is expensive therefore, i made the decision to stop seeing any doctors. I managed to skimp through my final year (which is about 2 months ago) with HORRIBLE attendance. Currently awaiting for results.

Now, i'm on vacation. I took up a part time job recently and this same problem occurred. I'm at a lost now. What will happen in the future when i have to work officially?

The key thing is, do I have a problem? Or maybe i didn't explain to them something which is supposed to? I don't know. If anyone has similar experiences, please do help.

Basically my problem happens in the mornings where I need to do something ie: school/work but there's always this dread/horrible fear that keeps me from going. Also, the night before the next day, my body seems to panic alot before I go to sleep. In the end, I tend not to go and find excuses.
This problem for some reason happens sometimes. Not everyday.

Thank you for taking your time to read this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

J

jamesdean

You have just reminded me one morning when I was proberly about 11/12 before I went to school I told my dad I couldnt cope with it all( a very long time ago) my dad said to me you've got alot more years in your life to have to get up n go to school n work, I'm sure I was seen has amoody child in fact my mum says I was a moany baay always crying, My Dad wouldnt say that now he was very good when I had to go into the psyciatric hospital in 1990 and told me not to worry about work and recently he came to see the psych with me nad actually said that they hadnt eventouched the surface, I guess whot I'm trying to say it takes time to get a diagnosis sometimes in my case nearly half a century, looking after a persons mental health from a young age is important but we were extremely poor by a lot of people standards so could only access the family gp. If you can afford to get the help n support you should to get your diagnosis sorted so then you dont have to struggle through life trying to work your self to death you can hopefully live your life the best way that suits your needs.Take care James/COLOR]

G

gnim452

You have just reminded me one morning when I was proberly about 11/12 before I went to school I told my dad I couldnt cope with it all( a very long time ago) my dad said to me you've got alot more years in your life to have to get up n go to school n work, I'm sure I was seen has amoody child in fact my mum says I was a moany baay always crying, My Dad wouldnt say that now he was very good when I had to go into the psyciatric hospital in 1990 and told me not to worry about work and recently he came to see the psych with me nad actually said that they hadnt eventouched the surface, I guess whot I'm trying to say it takes time to get a diagnosis sometimes in my case nearly half a century, looking after a persons mental health from a young age is important but we were extremely poor by a lot of people standards so could only access the family gp. If you can afford to get the help n support you should to get your diagnosis sorted so then you dont have to struggle through life trying to work your self to death you can hopefully live your life the best way that suits your needs.Take care James/COLOR]

Is that true ? But its very costly ... And my dad always told me to "tell" the psychologist everything then everything would be okay previously. He gives me the impression that he wants to find a cure faster and why am I not cured etc. I guess that was also one of the reason why I decided to drop seeing any psychiatrists/psychologists.

Anyway, thank you james :)

*EDIT*

I'm not sure if this means anything but.. I seem to experience fluctuation of moods. Like i can be extremely "high" on probably a day then very low on next. However, this doesn't occur on a daily basis. Not really a fixed pattern i think.
And.. sometimes, it scares me. Its like during these "episodes" of "high", its pure euphoria. I find myself able to do things I never would probably do. The word probably used to describe is " invincible" ? And it comes with a crazy dose of laughing.. But i don't go high alone of course.

Last edited:
J

jamesdean

Yes its true but a good honest psych will not rush a diagnosis like your Dad wants and really shouldnt presurise you into anything if you dont feel comfortable then be honest with the psych if you can and do things on your terms at the end of the day you are paying good money.