• We have just changed our forum software and are still tweaking things. You can log in using your existing user name and password. If you spot any problems please let us know by posting in the Feedback and suggestions section of the forum.

Watch this short film to find out how to use the new forum!

Hi anyone from Portsmouth Out there?

D

djhants

hello

Hello, and yes I am out here and there in Pompey..

the forum here is pretty quiet - or has been to date, but lets hope it livens up in due course.

cheers!

B

bigdave

yeah i'm here just joined and i'm from portsmouth. really fed up with the mental services here and i was wondering what you thought of them?

Pippin49

Pippin49

its been a while chaps ! :hi:

.... I'm in fareham and the support services here are good. Avalon for substance abuce and the Osborn to find a shrink and a CPN ...

how are you all ??

Pip x

S

scribbledrummer

Hi guys im a 'roight old pompey lad' who has just joined this forum.
I have been finding it really hard to find a support group for GAD or anxiety disorders? Apparently the NHS has cut back on GP based counsellors in some practises but I may have been misinformed? Having a maximum of six one hour meetings at my GP surgery was not appropriate in my case. I can recommend though the Portsmouth counselling services which is means tested to local people.

Pippin49

Pippin49

Hi guys im a 'roight old pompey lad' who has just joined this forum.
I have been finding it really hard to find a support group for GAD or anxiety disorders? Apparently the NHS has cut back on GP based counsellors in some practises but I may have been misinformed? Having a maximum of six one hour meetings at my GP surgery was not appropriate in my case. I can recommend though the Portsmouth counselling services which is means tested to local people.
Hiya Scribbledrummer

Pompey through and through? do you like the football? (more of a rugby lass ,me ) have Pompey gone bust?? not got my finger on the pulse of that one...

you haven't been misinformed, my councellor at the gp was made redundant right when I needed him most. he took my email but never made contact, even though he said he would.

I had 2 years of councelling at Portsmouth councelling services when I came out of prison in the 90's. she was very good . When i broke down again last year I tried to get back to see her but PCS didn't even remember her name... she was in her 60's back then, so i suppose she retired.

there are private councellors , Andrea Bailey is in Portsmouth. her website is : autumnwoods.org.uk

it was £45 per session which is loads better than some.. I have been quoted double that in some places.

I'm a writer too (no sence of rhythm though, sorry !) my genre is crime fiction. what do you write about,??

all the best

Pip xxx

S

scribbledrummer

Hi Pippin49

Im not into the footie im afraid!! Also im an qualified non practising artist and not a writer. But it is interesting that you are a crime writer.

I think that the counsellors at PCS are in training and do the work on a voluntary basis to get experience?

Pippin49

Pippin49

Hi Pippin49

Im not into the footie im afraid!! Also im an qualified non practising artist and not a writer. But it is interesting that you are a crime writer.

I think that the counsellors at PCS are in training and do the work on a voluntary basis to get experience?
Hi Scribbledrummer ,

whoops ! sorry for the gaff... I like to draw horses , have done since my friend showed me how to draw their heads. she did the drawing with her foot ! her mum took thalidamide so Philippa was born without arms let alone hands, and did everything with her feet. she was a worse tearaway than i was... she got her advanced instructorship and now teaches people to ride. amazing person.

yea! not a footie fan ! I was dragged kicking and screaming to the new stadium in Barcalona , 93,000 seats . I don't like crowds, what was my partner thinking ??? place is massive . mind you Barca aren't bad...
still prefer to watch rugger on the tv. violence on the pitch not in the stands...

when I first went to PCS they gave me to a 20+ year old who was utterly terrified of me. why? were they showing her she was in the wrong job?? it was like a dog sensing a submissive , i bullied her till she ran away. not proud of that. poor kid. she got more experience than she bargained for. haven't been back recently though.

as for the writing, it runs in the family. two of my sisters are published authors. I gave my work to my eldest sister and she passed one onto her agent. the review came back :

'Its psychotic. Beautiful in its own way but very very difficult (to publish)' I could have told her it was off the wall. ho hum. that particular agent doesn't deal with violent crime as a genre and i imagine has never watched a grusome horror flick so doesn't know how viseral books / films can be these days...or its truely psychotic and I need sectioning again :)

take care,

Pip xxx

Jonwal

Jonwal

yeah i'm here just joined and i'm from portsmouth. really fed up with the mental services here and i was wondering what you thought of them?
Yeah they don't acknowledge all my needs !! The receptionist is condescending and the answer phone really pisses me off wen ur trying to get thru there just like a brick wall for me to rebound off! Does my nut

M

matt1988

Hi all

I can see it's an old post but just posting in case anyone sees this.

I'm based in Bognor Regis and have an ongoing anxiety problem which I'm looking to get a handle on. I've bottled it up to date and avoided the situations where I feel anxious but I've had enough now and want to move on.

I'm looking for a support group, or even just a like minded person or people in Hampshire (ideally Portsmouth, possible Soton), or anywhere in West Sussex or possibly East Sussex (ideally no further than Brighton). I've briefly tried paid therapy which I didn't find too helpful, probably mainly because I couldn't afford to continue it for long enough for it to be effective.

It would be great if anyone knows of any groups or possibly just social events for people with similar problems to get chatting and hopefully help each other out.

Thanks to anyone who's taken the time to read this and hopefully I'll hear from you soon.

All the best
Matt

T

TheBalancingAct

anyone on here from or in the poppy area?

L

lonelyscared

Hi I'm another pompey local.
Ive suffered with depression and anxiety for about 12 years. I had got a good handle on it, not needing to have any time off work for over two years but in the last few months and especially the last two weeks things have become unbearable for me.
I broke down at work today and ended up going home and tried to get a doctors appointment, thinking maybe my meds need reviewing and I can't get an appointment for over two weeks unless I call for an emergency one on Monday even though its not technically what they class an emergency.
So what else is available for me if I can't wait until Monday, which seems a long way off and I'm due at work Monday so how do I work that out?!
I'm partly just on here ranting but partly looking for any services I can use this weekend in the absence of my doctor!!

G

Grumpy_Legend

Yes from southsea just joined the forum, recently diagnosed so have many issues to deal with as its been almost 20 years of living with distress without any help.
So any help from mental health professionals I'm happy to have lol glad there is local people on the forum...
Cheers
Andy

calypso

calypso

Admin
Hiya Andy and :welcome: to the forum. I am not from Portsmouth but wanted to welcome you. May I suggest that you look at other sections and post there as this area doesn't get much "traffic". We don't have professionals on the forum, just peer group support and advice. I hope that others will be along soon to reach out to you. Maybe tell us a little about yourself in an area which matches your problems.