Hi, and a question how to monitor daily mood/irritability/energy levels

J

jack black

I'm a middle aged man with a somewhat (but not entirely) successful professional career and family life, but a life long history of depressions, burnouts, and other specified or unspecified mental issues (too many to list them all). i recently self-diagnosed myself with either mild BD-2 or moderately severe cyclothymia. the thing that made it hard to figure out, elevation of mood only happen when triggered by things like new love (huge trigger!), new places, travel, new projects/hobbies that would be expected to elevate mood regardless. depression was triggered by stress, burnout, or rumination over real or perceived failures or criticism (often self-criticism). I'm currently taking OTC lithium supplement and it helps some. regular sleep, exercise, and meals (especially healthy meals based on veggies) help, too.

I want to figure out if there a cycling in my baseline levels of mood/irritability/energy. in the last couple of days, i rate them on a scale from -10 to +10 just based on my guesstimate.

I don't want to reinvent the wheel here, does anyone use a tool to monitor these or similar things?

Thanks and I'm looking forward participation in this forum.

Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit

I have posted a tool/ sheet I use in the well-being section ... If you search for emotional mapping you should find it, it's still a best guess but I've found that it really helps me X

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jack black

thanks UH,
searched and found it here: Emotional mapping
interesting approach, but i will not do it intraday like that. my emotions fluctuate more day to day (it's still rapid cycles) rather than hr to hr. another thing is i'm thinking different areas of brain functions may have different cycles, as i do have those "mixed states" ie good energy but high irritability (bad combo).

Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit

Well I'm happy for you or anyone to adapt it to fit you ... You could use it for weekly or monthly mapping ? X

I just wanted to share my approach

J

jack black

Here is my update, i have been monitoring my feelings and functioning for a few days and found some surprises. initially i lumped some categories like energy/executive functions and mood/self esteem and turn out they don't go together.
Now, i separated the variables into the following separate categories:
Irritability, Energy, Executive, Emotions, Self esteem, Romantic feelings.
Time will tell. I'm excited about my new experiment (I love novelty and experimentation).

BTW, how may of you BD people have problems with executive functions (ADHD like)?

S

Sula

Here is my update, i have been monitoring my feelings and functioning for a few days and found some surprises. initially i lumped some categories like energy/executive functions and mood/self esteem and turn out they don't go together.
Now, i separated the variables into the following separate categories:
Irritability, Energy, Executive, Emotions, Self esteem, Romantic feelings.
Time will tell. I'm excited about my new experiment (I love novelty and experimentation).

BTW, how may of you BD people have problems with executive functions (ADHD like)?
Hi there, how are you? I am new here and read your comments. In my experience Bipolar is very complex but I use an app "emoods" just as a tracker. have you visited a Psychiatrist for medical advice? I only ask because I see some pattefns in what you say that sound similar to my own thoughts and behaviours when becoming manic. Would you mind identifying the OTC Lithium supplement, i'd be interested to know what it is. I really hope you are able to find a fit for your symptoms.

J

jack black

Thanks Sula, I'll check the app. it would be simpler to do it on a phone rather than PC i'm doing now (a spreadsheet). low dose Lithium orotate is available without prescription in USA, but probably not elswere. But there are natural mineral waters available in europe that are high in lithium, you may want to search for those. as for my well-being, it's not too bad, but i do get emotional about relationship setbacks and similar daily challenges. right now, i need help with executive functions a bit, because i tend to be lazy. the last couple of days i entered -3 for that in my "proprietary" scale from -10 to +10.

sadpunchingbag

sadpunchingbag

id recommends a app can't remember the name but i am sure just type in mood diary you will get results i like to use evernote just to jot down how i am doing throughout the day

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Bipolar Forum 4
S Bipolar Forum 2
M Bipolar Forum 8
Urban Hermit Bipolar Forum 1
K Bipolar Forum 9