• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Hi All

M

mcintyre

Founding Member
Hi folks,

Just registered here following on from a convo with JibbaJabba a couple of weeks ago.

I was dx'd with conversion in 2006 after seizures,difficulty walking, speech problems, general coordination, memory problems to name but a few.

I spent 2 weeks on the neuro ward at Pinderfields hospital being investigated for possible MS before being dx'd with CD.

To this day I still maintain that my dx is inaccurate and am pretty certain that at some point I will be dx'd with MS, but there are apparently no physical signs yet (or weren't last time anyone looked).

This despite my first MRI showing that my Pituitary gland was damaged, but I was told that was nothing to worry about and wouldn't cause any of my problems.

At the moment I use a wheelchair everyday and still struggle with coorindation, mainly on my left side, and memory problems while occasionally slurring my words and stuttering.

I've been told I'm in denial by a psychiatrist and that I'm depressed, which I did not agree with.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

Dan

dunglen

dunglen

Founding Member
welcome to the forum :welcome:

fought aganist the diagnosis of depression for a long time -but they wore me down eventually.

hope you find support here :hug:

M

mollycat

Founding Member
Hi Dan,

Big hello and :welcome:

Your story is a familar one - I too was told probable MS and now probable Conversion disorder, awaiting my first appointment with the neuro Psychiatrist although like you and JJ I too feel they maybe got it wrong somewhere.

I had a Mri showing upward of 10 lesions and this is most likely due to demylination but then after a clear LP and EVP's the diagnosis was backtracked to CD, I has many signs on neuro exam ie: positive babinski, ridigity in arms, brisk reflexes and a few others, just goes to show once they made the CD dignosis other signs and symptoms don't seem to count.

I would really like to hear your journey and hopefully i can help ?? or at least know where you are coming from - just ask, i can try, I have posted my story in reply to JJ's post take a look and email if you like.

It seems we are totally un-aware of all this and conversion disorder means they can say we are simply hiding it or in denial, I have been told many times I am in denial of depression so join the club.

Whatever happens I have found comfort and support here and hope you keep posting.

Nice to meet you and take care

Mollycat :hug:

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
Hi Dan and :welcome: to the forum

JIBBAJABBA

JIBBAJABBA

Founding Member
Hi dan how you doing?

Great to see you have joined us here like I said previously this is a great site for support and nobody to judge us!

Welcome aboard and hope you find some comfort knowing that your not alone in the whole CD nightmare!

Jibbz xx

M

mcintyre

Founding Member
Thanks - I must say I'm surprised to see so many actually!!

JIBBAJABBA

JIBBAJABBA

Founding Member
Hi dan, yes theres lots of support here and we have another member who has recently joined who has CD so we are getting out there and hopefully the more we promote this site the more pepole with CD with join us.....

How are you anyway?

Im stuck in my bed havent been to grand the last few day, had visit to hosp last week with what they think is ON so been referred to MS consultant who deals in eye probs...and just in general feel like poo!

Oh and I got a letter yest after my tribunal hearing for DLA saying I get a BIG FAT NOTHING!!!
Julia xxx

M

mcintyre

Founding Member
Aww sorry to hear that JJ, I hope it eases soon - I went to my opticians a few months back and he said he thought I had ON and told me to visit my GP who did nothing.

As for DLA - hearing all these stories iof how people are having to fight for it and appeal etc and being turned down makes me wonder how come I got it so easily - I applied, was seen by a doctor at home and wasawarded it, no problems.

Can you appeal further?

JIBBAJABBA

JIBBAJABBA

Founding Member
Hi Dan,

As it was an oral hearing the only way I can appeal is if there is something wrong with their decision legally!

So I have had to write to them to request the paperwork and their decision, take it to a solicitor to get it checked for any legal loopholes then take it from there. Or I can just forget it and make a new application anf forget about the last one and see what happens!

Its a nightmare I really dont understand it! The guy I spoke to yest said that as Im in a wheelchair they veiw that as my means of getting from a to b!

They totally ignored the fact that Icant push myself more than a few yrd coz the spasms kick in!

Julai xx

M

mcintyre

Founding Member
As you use a wheelchair that's your way of getting from a to b?

I would have thought that was obvious... I don't understand how it's relevant, there will be thousands of people claiming DLA who use wheelchairs, me included!!

JIBBAJABBA

JIBBAJABBA

Founding Member
Yep, he said they will have looked at my case and said right she has a wheelchair, she prob only goes shopping once a week so theres a couple of hours, maybe sits in the garden an hour a week so theres another hour....well she doesnt need anymore help so turned me down!!

Fab ehh!!

Julia x

M

mcintyre

Founding Member
That's gotta be wrong surely?

Sounds like it might be easier to put in a fresh application perhaps? The stress caused by it can't be helping much either...

JIBBAJABBA

JIBBAJABBA

Founding Member
I know its all wrong I cant believe it either!

Yes I think so I dont think I can stand the stress of it all again!

Julia x