• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Hi all

S

steve

I first felt depression as a teenager got in quite a state in my late teens, for about 12 months suffered from panic attacks didn't dare go out speak to people.
Found a way of, what I call 'dangling a carrot in front of myself' to lift me out of my depression. Has worked very well over tdifficult times without a panic attack. If I do feel depressed I just get that carrot out. It's may seem odd, but people say I'm odd, thats prob why it works! Lol!
Have found many thoughts or ways of trying to keep myself going, some work very well for me others not so well.

On a downside my partner has just come out of hospital having been in coma after a suicide attempt. She has psyhcotic depression. Been trying to commit suicide a few times over the past few years, normally by ingesting something quite bad.

I like to try and be optimistic. I have learn't that sometimes I can't find a solution for todays problem but who is to say there won't be a solution tomorrow. Heres to tomorrow(+more searching on this forum for help)

Best wishes from steve

keepsafe

keepsafe

Welcome Steve

A good attitude to have re - maybe tomorrow things will be different
Hope you find help here - if that is in fact what you are looking for
KS:welcome:

D

Dollit

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum. That's what gets me through the very darkest times, knowing I've survived before and I will again if I just sit it out. Difficult at times but I think it's probably the best tool in my tool box.

S

steve

Thanks for welcome, have been having good browse on forum for info.
The more I can understand the better.

I have a lot sayings that I remind myself of to keep me on the right road,
which has a tendency to really annoy my partner when she is feeling/talking very negative. Ooherr!

Was wondering if there was a thread where people shared their thoughts on what gets them through the day or night?

I remember someone saying when they couldn't sleep they retraced a regular picturesque journey, in every detail, in their mind and swore they never finished it because they fell asleep!

J

jamesdean

Hi Steve
Whot a lot of people do is start a journal steve, good luck jd

S

steve

Clever idea jd,
Have had a quick look at a couple of journals, yours included, gives me a very good insight and better understanding, excellent idea.

I spend quite a bit of time in various forums, they are an amazing source of information, must be the sheer volume of people on-line with similar lives/experiences. The chances that you would share this type of info this way without this forum and all the other forums is quite remote I would of thought.

Many thanks for all the welcomes from everyone.

A

anneal

Hi Steve,

I have a friend (not close) who has also attempted suicide several times. Taking tablets, gas cooker left on, burning house down etc. Her shrink has tried for many months to get to the root of what's causing her problem. That's seems to be the key, if that can be found then help is on the way. Hope the root of your girl friends problem can be found.
Anneal