• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Hi all, new here - agoraphobia sufferer

W

Worryhead

Hi all,

I'm 35 and was diagnosed by my GP as having agoraphobia when I was 27 years old, although I've been suffering from various forms of Generalised Anxiety Disorder/Social Phobia/Panic Attacks since I was 24.

I've been to about 6 different counsellors (2 of them CBT counsellors), tried a Paul McKenna self-help CD and book, acupuncture, Chinese herbal remedy and been on 3 different medications over a 9-year period (Paroxetine, Escitalopram and Citalopram) - I came off the Citalopram in September 2008 after gradual decrease with the advice of my doctor.

I feel through different stages of my life that things are very much up and down. i.e. at first, I was getting constant headaches. Then I was getting panic attacks a lot of the time.

Then they stopped, and it was just general anxiety. Now for the past couple of weeks, I'm very conscious of my breathing and often feel like I can't breathe properly, like I'm really bunged up or like I'm swallowing something small and hard. :(

Does anyone else suffer like this, and if so, how do you cope from day to day?

Thanks for any advice.

S

*Sapphire*

Hi Worryhead

And :welcome: to the forum!

I don't suffer with agoraphobia but have suffered with panic attacks. Mine were more the world spinning type ones, thinking I couldn't walk without assistance because I was going to fall over. I would also freeze. Yes literally freeze. If I was holding a cup I couldn't bring it to my mouth. It was crippling me in a way and if I didn't learn to manage it I guess I would have started fearing going out at all. I guess what helped me was a combination of things.

I started learning some gradual relaxation techniques when I wasn't anxious, maybe before bed or at a point in the day. Then associating the word relax with these techniques. So that by just repeating the word to myself when i was anxious I could relax very quickly to the state I would have done gradually. It takes a while to get a hang of but it is possible.

I also take Escitalopram that really changed things from me.

I also learned the skill of mindfulness. There is alot of information on the web about mindfulness and it has really helped with a variety of problems I have.

I also forced myself not to avoid anxious situations, because the more i avoided them the worse the anxiety seemed to get, it would build up in a way. Sometimes I would have to almost be dragged out crying my eyes out. But inevitably when I got to where I needed to, the anxiety would peak, but then it would lessen, and i would end up having a good time.

I am like you, my anxiety seems to peak and trough, i suffered with acute anxiety when i was a young adult, hyperventilating etc, then it seemed to subside until a few years ago when it came back starting with chest pains. This was along with the world spinning symptoms. I think anxiety can manifest itself in many different ways, headaches I believe can be one of them.

I don't know if that helps, you can also look at previous threads on this forum that may be able to offer some suggestions, and may be akin to your situation. :)

W

Worryhead

Thanks for the kind welcome and advice. :)

I was taught about mindfulness at my last lot of CBT sessions - I will look it up and remind myself all about it. I do try and push myself into facing difficult situations, as, as you say, I think this is the way forward. The more I face public transport, crowds, etc, the less painful they'll be the next time.

Sometimes it can take a really long time though before the physical (and mental) anguish passes and it's tough coping when that happens...

S

*Sapphire*

Yes that's so true, every time I experience it, it feels like I am experiencing it for the first time, and my immediate thought is always to get out of the situation! I get really annoyed when someone says "just take deep breaths"! If only it were that simple....

G

GrizzlyBear

Founding Member
Welcome from me too Worryhead :flowers: