• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Hi All, Looking to raise money for ward. Any suggestions?

D

depressedchick

Hi,

I'm currently a patient in a psychiatric ward but have my discharge date coming up on the 25th August. I was diagnosed with Depression last year after having an emergency c-section and contracting MRSA in my wound. I tried to commit suicide on several occasions and although i have times where i still think about it i'm hoping i'm moving on. If anyone wants to talk then i'm always here. I also have a quick question and not sure if this the best place to post? I want to raise some funding for the ward i'm residing on whilst raising awareness for Mental Health and i've been making up some jewellery and wondering how is the best to advertise or make this known? The hospital can't get any funding and there is currently patients in looking at 6 months ahead of them with absolutely nothing to do and i want to make their time a bit more bearable, i have been there and want to do things for others. Any suggestions would be extremely welcome. Thank you x(y)

G

GrizzlyBear

Founding Member
Welcome from me too. :flowers:

Don't know what to recommend re. the psychiatric ward, sorry. Raising awareness can begin on a one-to-one basis. People often have no idea. When I was hospitalized I criticized the conditions in my wards. Boredom is the worst thing, I think....and there was nothing at all to do.

I would imagine that even things like better reading materials, games, dvd's...that sort of thing....are things we are all able to gift to any type of hospital wards.

If you have a car you could try having a car boot sale.....or maybe try selling the jewellery on e-Bay?

Hopefully someone will come along with better fund-raising ideas.

:flowers:

S

*Sapphire*

Hi

And :welcome: to the forum.
I hope you find being here of some help to you. :)

D

depressedchick

Thank you to you all, there is a car boot sale taking place on the 6th September i'll have a look on Ebay too. I'm also going to ask local shop keepers if they might help me. I have found that being in hospital, boredom has led to a lot of problems with patients and when i have gone to local second hand shops etc for donations i have found the door slammed in my face on more than one occasion. I used to be a support worker for individuals with mental health problems and now i am on the other side of the coin and i'm shocked that there is still a huge stigma attached too it, including members of my family. Maybe i was just ignorant to it because i thought i was doing something to help at the time i don't know but it is very frustrating at times:mad: thank you for making me feel welcome x

S

*Sapphire*

Thank you to you all, there is a car boot sale taking place on the 6th September i'll have a look on Ebay too. I'm also going to ask local shop keepers if they might help me. I have found that being in hospital, boredom has led to a lot of problems with patients and when i have gone to local second hand shops etc for donations i have found the door slammed in my face on more than one occasion. I used to be a support worker for individuals with mental health problems and now i am on the other side of the coin and i'm shocked that there is still a huge stigma attached too it, including members of my family. Maybe i was just ignorant to it because i thought i was doing something to help at the time i don't know but it is very frustrating at times:mad: thank you for making me feel welcome x
I do agree that there does appear to be a 'behind the closed door' type of stigma to do with mental health. Yes on the face of it people seem to be understanding and politically correct, but when it occurs in their family, the true extent of their negative feelings about mental health, seems to rear it's ugly head. But please do remember that alot of it is centred around an uneducated fear.

However one thing perhaps you can do, is instigate some change of philosophy on this issue with regards to your family. Perhaps you can get them to recognise that having a mental health problem, is the same as breaking your leg, or having the flu or cancer. That it is an illness, or condition. Nothing more. Although it can have many implications. Perhaps something positive can come about in the face of your difficulties.

If you haven't done so already perhaps when you go to shops for donations you can approach charity shops. I work in one, and often we are inundated with donations of activities that can be used in hospitals, donations such as jigsaws etc, too many to put out on occassions. They are usually in very good condition.

I don't believe you will find any stigma here, and I hope you find being here helpful to you. :)

bluenomore

bluenomore

Hi and :welcome: to the forum.