• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Hi all......long term anxiety maniac here!

A

Aphexbin

Just thought I'd say hi to everybody. Joined here because I'm going through yet another bout of terrible anxiety. Thought chatting about it might help a little bit. I'm hoping it subsides soon but as a sufferer for over 20 years, it's hard to keep up hope. What's it like to feel normal, anybody re

A

Aphexbin

Thanks so much. Hope you are good. I will be diving into the forum at some point when I can get my head in some sort of place. Already having trouble facing the day! Great start

Littlevoice89

Littlevoice89

Hello @Aphexbin
I’m pretty new here too, but just wanted to say, I completely get what you’re saying. I too have suffered from relentless anxiety for many many years. You’re not alone. Many people on here will be able to relate to this.
Do you have anything that brings you some calm at times? for me it’s playing my guitar and singing.
Sending warmth and best wishes your way.
:hug:

H

hairybanana

Just thought I'd say hi to everybody. Joined here because I'm going through yet another bout of terrible anxiety. Thought chatting about it might help a little bit. I'm hoping it subsides soon but as a sufferer for over 20 years, it's hard to keep up hope. What's it like to feel normal, anybody re
Medication tamed my anxiety immensely

Bod

Bod

Welcome to the forum, hope you can find peace and all the help and advice you may need in your journey.

A

Aphexbin

Hello @Aphexbin
I’m pretty new here too, but just wanted to say, I completely get what you’re saying. I too have suffered from relentless anxiety for many many years. You’re not alone. Many people on here will be able to relate to this.
Do you have anything that brings you some calm at times? for me it’s playing my guitar and singing.
Sending warmth and best wishes your way.
:hug:
Thanks so much. I think half the time, knowing you are not alone helps! For me if I'm out socially sometimes or doing something that completely takes my mind if things, all the physical manifestations of anxiety disappear. I think most on here will know that overthinking every little thing is the root to a lot of it.

I think I suffer from both social anxiety and health anxiety, add low self-esteem and lack of confidence to the mix and well, in a mess. Most people wouldn't know, and it makes you realise that so many people are hiding these things.

I'm pretty close to going back on medication. I don't want to but I'm reaching a stage that I can't control my anxiety. Meds normally take me out of the game for a few days, plus all the head zaps and other side effects, I really don't want to go down that road but see no other way

Littlevoice89

Littlevoice89

I used to feel the same way before i started on meds. But then someone said to me, if it were a broken leg or physical injury of some kind, would you take the pain killers and antibiotics prescribed to help you heal? and I would, so what’s the difference of taking meds to help your mind heal?
Maybe you can just see it as a short term thing? I think I’m on mine for a while if I’m honest but your situation may well be very different and a short term course of meds may be all you need. Have you told your doc that your not sure about going on meds but you need some help? Maybe they could suggest an alternative. Grounding techniques, calm healthy breathing techniques maybe

A

Aphexbin

I used to feel the same way before i started on meds. But then someone said to me, if it were a broken leg or physical injury of some kind, would you take the pain killers and antibiotics prescribed to help you heal? and I would, so what’s the difference of taking meds to help your mind heal?
Maybe you can just see it as a short term thing? I think I’m on mine for a while if I’m honest but your situation may well be very different and a short term course of meds may be all you need. Have you told your doc that your not sure about going on meds but you need some help? Maybe they could suggest an alternative. Grounding techniques, calm healthy breathing techniques maybe
I was on citalopram before and it did help but I don't think it's good to be on them too long. I have had a bit of therapy but unfortunately, I think my anxiety is partly genetic. My mum and nan both suffered and my grandad on the other side. I think I'm predisposed to it.

I deal with it a lot through exercise. So if I'm having a day where I am convinced I will have a heart attack I go for a run to either disapprove my feelings or bring one on...crazy!

I will probably go back on meds for a short while at least. I also feel a bit stupid and guilty about being like this. You hear about all these ex service people who have seen awful things and have PTSD and then I look at myself and feel a complete idiot!

D

DBSAiko

Does anyone ever tremble or feel as if their face or body trembles with anxiety? Whenever I have anxiety attacks, I feel as if my whole body is trembling and "buzzing". It's odd. I guess you could say it's, I'm shaking/trembling. Even my face feels as if it's alive. That's how bad it gets sometimes, just sometimes. I take Xanax sometimes for it when I can't handle it by myself. I would like to know more about others experiences with anxiety attacks and what they are like. If you could describe them in detail. If you don't mind, if it does not bother you of course. That is.
Usually, I get them when I feel as if things are piling up in my life... Thats usually when it happens.

A

Aphexbin

Does anyone ever tremble or feel as if their face or body trembles with anxiety? Whenever I have anxiety attacks, I feel as if my whole body is trembling and "buzzing". It's odd. I guess you could say it's, I'm shaking/trembling. Even my face feels as if it's alive. That's how bad it gets sometimes, just sometimes. I take Xanax sometimes for it when I can't handle it by myself. I would like to know more about others experiences with anxiety attacks and what they are like. If you could describe them in detail. If you don't mind, if it does not bother you of course. That is.
Usually, I get them when I feel as if things are piling up in my life... Thats usually when it happens.
Hey,

I think it's different for everybody. I don't think I have full on panic attacks but I'm.not really sure. Sometimes I get a pain or breathe a bit odd, or a hot flush but I know it's just panic and ride it out. The oddest ones are where I get a kind of mild mania where I feel I have lots of energy but it's horrible energy and I can't sit still. I have to pace about or do anything.

So many people on here with these issues, I think they will all have slightly different experiences. As long as we keep talking and listening to each other, that will help a bit

Littlevoice89

Littlevoice89

I will probably go back on meds for a short while at least. I also feel a bit stupid and guilty about being like this. You hear about all these ex service people who have seen awful things and have PTSD and then I look at myself and feel a complete idiot!
Ah, yeah I was on Citalopram a few years back, it wasn’t a good match for me that’s for sure.
I’m from a family who suffer heavily from anxiety issues too so I know what you mean. I actually have complex PTSD myself and I don’t for a second think your an idiot in the slightest!!! We deal with the effect not the cause. Be kind to yourself - your feelings matter.

D

DBSAiko

Thanks for responding. :) Mine are sort of silent. In fact, sometimes I am not even aware that I am in a panic attack until I feel EXTREMELY as if... I am going to jump through the wall of my room. it just comes on. It just comes on.

H

hairybanana

Yeah have experienced this to varying degrees. Think it’s possibly linked to a surge of adrenaline—the whole fight or flight thing

There’s been a couple of instances where I’ve had uncontrollable shaking and haven’t been able to hide it. Those times are a trauma response being triggered, super fun