• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

Heyyyy!!

M

Miss_terious

hi, im a college student and am doing an currently doing an extended project The title of which is: To what extent are people suffering from mental health disorders stigmatised in society today?
Any comments would be very much appreciated. :)

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Hi Miss_Terious and welcome to the forum. :welcome:

Wow - what a topic to look at. I'm sure that you'll get a lot of perspectives from members of the forum. While I haven't knowingly been stigmatised by the community or discriminated against (though you never know!) I have many friends who have been isolated within their community and sufferred quite appaling discrimination due to their mental illness. Dissapointingly discrimination is still an everyday experience for many people with a mental illness.

Best wishes, Honey

S

Starbright

Hi, honey.

You could put something in about people with mental illness having the right to proper treatment and this right is violated a lot by crisis teams who are supposedly experts at assessing how bad a person is and yet they ignore the person's CPA where it says they are at risk of suicidality or self-harm and leave the person alone at home for 23 hours out of ever 24 and then (what a surprise) the person tries or succeeds suicide and/or seriously self harms or even if they're not going to do these things they are too ill to take care of themselves and pets and they are a danger to themselves in that way. It's happened to lots of people I know and to me. I am thinking of going to the press.

Welcome to the forum.

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
hi, im a college student and am doing an currently doing an extended project The title of which is: To what extent are people suffering from mental health disorders stigmatised in society today?
Any comments would be very much appreciated. :)
Hello & :welcome: to MHF.

Don't know about stigmatised ........... but MH is still a taboo subject for many.
Good luck with your project.

I

inzie

Founding Member
Don't get me started!!!!!

Having been on both sides of the mental health thing - senior social worker and mental health punter - I have an awful lot to say on the subject - all you have to do is ask....

Cheers

Chris

M

mad as a hatter

i agree with star bright it,s shockin the way people r treated i,ve been told by my pdoc my bipolor is showing signs gettin worse as i,m getting voices and and all sorts yet i can,t get ne more support it,s a disgrace the way we r treated like cattle i think we r just a number 2 them at times

M

Miss_terious

Hi thanks for ur comments, keep them coming! (y)
i haven't actually started the project yet... its too hot to work!! neways i hope to be posting more as soon as i get started so simply watch this space! :p