• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

    If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

    Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.




Well-known member
Mar 6, 2010
Hey everyone.

I've had panic attacks since I was about 12 years old.

They are very frightening, I hate them so much and I get so scared when I have one.

But, I reassure myself when I'm having one that it's just a panic attack/anxiety attack, and that it will pass.

I try to focus on my breathing, I try to focus on something, anything, to help calm me down and for it to pass quicker.

I suffer from them still, but the above does help with them.

If anyone wants to chat about my or their panic attacks/anxiety attacks, feel free to.

Take care.


lizzie g

Jun 22, 2009
Hi there,

I too suffer from anxiety & panic attacks & know how frightening they can be.
Are you seeking help for them at all?

I very often just get the build up to a panic attack & don't get the attack itself, in a way I would rather just have the full blown attack & be done with it!

I never try to fight mine it always makes them worse for me, I just try & stay calm & concentrate on abdominal breathing which helps them pass.

How have you been coping with them up till now?


Apr 9, 2010
brighton uk

i have only had panic attacks for just over two years now. and i no what you mean about how horrible it is.

i have not long finished a CBT course with the nhs for my anxiety
i noticed you saying when you panic you try and find something to take your mind off it so it goes away a.s.a.p

the person who was helping me on my CBT course said that finding something to take your mind off your panic attack actually reinforces your anxiety keeping it strong. he advised that you go with the panic, even though this isnt going to be something that you enjoy over time your panic attacks will become weaker and easier to take control of. if you haven't had CBT i think it would be a good idea to go to your dr and ask about it

hope this helps