• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Hey

S

Sarey

Hey there.

I've had OCD since roughly 9 years of age.

If anyone would like to talk to me about it, whether it be my OCD or their own, feel free.
I'd be happy to help.

:)

N

NrLondonGuy

what was the most helping thing besides therapy and medication? I know alot myself but always after tips.

S

Sarey

The most helpful thing for me, and still is, is knowing that feeding the compulsions by continuing them will just make them worse, you're just fueling the fire, so you bare that in mind, knowing that it'll make them worse if you continue doing them, and you try to break that cycle with this knowledge.

Another thing that helps is telling yourself (regarding unwanted, intrusive, distressing, obsessive thoughts/images) that it isn't you, it's the OCD framing you. The OCD is picking on things it knows will cause distress, and it feeds off of that distress.

Try to take things lightly in regards to obsessions, ie; "Hi OCD, I know it's you, but I'm not going to take any notice of you today", or agreeing with what it's saying, take it lightheartedly, blow it off, etc.

If you show the OCD you're distressed, it'll feed off of that.

Trying to distract yourself, focus on other things, keep yourself occupied is something else that helps me too.

Talking about it with those who understand/can relate, or those that are willing to listen and support you, has also gotten me through tough times.

:)

I

IntrospectionFtw!

hi sarey, I suffer from ocd aswell amongst other things mainly pure obsessional all in my head rather than cleaning checking doors and things like that..what helped me or helps rather i think self esteems vital trying to block the thoughts only makes it worse i read a good book which taught me too kind of let the the thoughts go in one ear and out the other which is easy said than done unless your a zen buddhist...exposure therapy is good aswell.

S

Sarey

Well, I never really said to "block them out", so yeah.

M

Meow

hey :)
i have also suffered from ocd since around the age of 8 or 9 till current day
(17)

lately i have been on a bit of a downhill decline :/
im thinking this is mainly due to the face my younger brother
(who also has very servere ocd) is being addmitted to hospital tomorrow
my ocd revolves around the need to prevent bad luck by avoiding the number which comes AFTER 12 (sure you can work it out :scared:)
i just need to vent more than anything really
any advice (motivation) too pull me out of this :)