• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

hey

L

lou

Hi everyone. not done this before, so not really sure what to say......

Im 23, and I have suffered with depression for several years now on and off. i've never needed any medication or formal support to get myself through it, but the last few months have been really hard for me and i feel like im in a downward spiral that i cant get out of. Im finding it increasingly difficult to get out of bed in the morning, and this week have come home early from university twice because i was so tired i couldnt stay. I cant concentrate on anything and my lecture notes have been non-existent. Not much good with an exam next week. (wouldnt be so bad if i hadnt failed it once already and get thrown off the course if i dont pass this time) the way i feel now i might as well not turn up for it. Im not eating properly, feeling lightheaded and dizzy and ive nearly fainted in work.

im not really in contact with my family anymore and i live with my partner, my mother in law and father in law (if you like! i call them mam and dad.) my mother in law is in hospital so my partner and family have other things on their mind than me and they dont seem to notice exactly how down i am. everything is getting to me and i can feel how irritable i am. i dont enjoy my hobbies anymore, and my energy level barely allows me to get up, watch tele on the sofa all day and go back to bed.

been to doctors but he told me to go back if i feel worse and he will give me something. im worried about tablets affecting uni and work so i just dont know what to do. dont seem to have anyone to talk to and dont feel anyone will listen- i know people will listen- its the way im feeling..... you know what i mean.

anyway, hope i havent bored everyone with my first post, i just need some like minded people to talk to, people who understand. Thanks guys,

L x

keepsafe

keepsafe

Hey Lou,

I understand, but really if you are feeling so bad and its affecting your functioning in everyday life then you should really consider going back to your g.p.

Welcome anyway and keep posting :welcome:
KS

L

lou

thanks keepsafe, i think i will go back. I know he isnt in until next week (the other doctor in my surgery is worse than useless and a complete waste of time going to see), but will see what he says. just try and get myself through my day in uni and a 12 hour night shift tomorrow and then sleep all weekend :sleep:
thank you x

D

Dawud

Feeling down

The university should have talking therapy that you can access. Have you been in touch with the counsellors? You can get time extensions and have other deadlines altered if you speak to the counsellors. Have you thought of declaring to your tutor that you have mental health issues? Colleges are legally obliged to provide support and to try to adjust your course timetable to help you under the DDA - mental health issues are included as the term 'disability' is very broad. Plus under SENDA - Special Educational Needs Disability Act - places the emphasis onto education provides to support students who have additional needs. Personally I would avoid medication, and I have done all my life, but talking therapy would provide you with the space and time to talk. When you are on a downward spiral it can feel like you are not being listening to. But, declaring your mental health issue is a big thing but should be worth it as you are entitle to support on your course. Something to remember is that you are not the only one at university going through a tough time, plus it is okay to be down at times and struggle as long as you can find a route out. There is nothing wrong in asking for support from a professional - it means you are taking control of your life and what is happening to you.

L

lou

thanks for the reply's. I havent discussed anything with the university as i've never been open about it. its never been so bad that i would need to tell anyone. a few chats with my gp and im normally fine for a few months. I just cant seem to get out of it this time!
I had a chat with one of my friends on thursday night, (she is training to be a counsellor) which did help with taking some of the problems off my mind. I had a good day yesterday too- the fatigue was there, but i managed to get through uni for 3 1/2 hours with pretty much no problems. work was hard, but the shift wasnt too bad. Quite quiet for a friday night ;) It helps taking my mind off it by worrying about other peoples problems. (even if it does seem a little hippocritical for me to help others when i cant sort myself out!)
Thank you!!!

D

Dawud

Feeling down

Sounds like you are starting to pick yourself up, which is great news. But do consider telling the university. I work in education and know there are many students who do not declare a mental health need until they are at crisis point, yet staff - both tutor and lecturers - are very suportive and would do what they can to help. One word of caution if I may, try not to rely on your counsellor friend for support. I recently returned to talking therapy to avoid off loading to my wife and friends. My relationships are much better and me and my wife are having a wonderful time now I have set day and time to talk through my issues with a professional. Thanks for letting us all know how you are getting.

D

Dawud

Feeling down

Oh, I forgot to say it is not a bad idea to talk to others about their problems. Personally I find it helps put my own issues into a more manageable perspective. It is a good quality to have so don'f feel bad about that. Just make sure you give yourself time and space for your own needs.