• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Hey to all!

HeyImTyler

HeyImTyler

So this is the first forum of this kind I've signed up to. I think talking to even strangers can really help a little sometimes and I'm not even sure why I've always put it off until now!

Anyway, the basics about myself.. I'm just a 30 something British guy that's let anxiety beat me down and put my life on hold over the last few years. I think I've always had some anxiety even as a very active person previously, but nothing on the level where it would stop me from doing anything I really wanted to do. I was diagnosed with a heart murmur in 2017 and from that moment my life changed, and not for the better. I've been battling generalized anxiety and all the usual physical symptoms it comes with such as constant digestive issues, fatigue, weakness, among a host of other things... And it seems I like to torture myself somewhat every day by trying to find a diagnosis on Google, even though I now understand that chronic anxiety can and does give you physical symptoms and isn't just a mental thing, and have convinced myself I have every from Celiac Disease and SIBO to bowel cancer!

Anyway, despite my issues I'm someone that friends generally still come to first when they're going through their own personal issues, even if it's just a breakup. I'm generally someone that keeps things to myself as much as possible and some of my closest friends think that I just become very anti-social, and have no idea that I'm actually the way I am now. I think a big part of me prefers me to believe they think of the old me, and not the shambles that I've become. But I can talk and I've been told that I'm also a good listener, so maybe I can be of some help to some of you here down the line if nothing else.

Look forward to getting to know some of you! 😊

Ty

JessisMe

JessisMe

Hi Ty, welcome to the forums. There are many people here who also experience anxiety. You should be able to find great support here. We are glad to have you aboard. xo, j

D

Deleted member 91323

Hello Tyler. I can understand how a heart murmur would cause health anxiety. Welcome to the forum. :)

HeyImTyler

HeyImTyler

Hello Tyler. I can understand how a heart murmur would cause health anxiety. Welcome to the forum. :)
Yeah, it well and truly stopped me in my tracks! I suddenly went from someone who walked God knows how many miles a week and played in an amateur football/soccer team to living like a hermit. Crazy how something you never really thought of at all in the past, in this case being my own ticker, to being obsessed with it and how much it's beating every minute.

What also sucks is that I also know that by not doing anything at all and living a sedentary lifestyle I'm only making the condition worse really! But despite understanding that I can never get the worst case scenario thing from playing out in my mind that stops me from doing all the things I used to take for granted. :scratcheshead:

Talina

Talina

Forum Safety Team
Hi Tyler and welcome to the forum, you will be able to find support and people to talk to. The stress of heart murmur or any health problems can cause health aniexty. I know that quite well 😅

I hope you will like the forum :welcome: